Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Modest Proposal

randooch

I'll Lock Up
But it's too much of a hassle to change it here now.

Ah, so it's not just me. I looked under the Personal Settings section to change mine to Randall after posting this thread, but couldn't see where to do so. Maybe I'll just change my quote.

Some interesting points being made.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
It's possible to have your name changed, but a bartender needs to do it. And once you did, everybody would be totally confused about it for a LONG time. When Forgotten Man, who used to be .. . . what was his name previously? I forget . . . Anyway, he left the Lounge for a while, as I recall, and then came back with a new identity. I've contemplated that, but it's also more trouble than it's worth.

I used Hatophile, because I am--A hat lover. As I have learned others "real" names, I chose to use them, just because it makes it a little more personable. I feel like many of ya'll are my "buds". I am happy to be called Hatophile or Perry, either way.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Attend a Fedora Fest & first names become second nature after hanging with this bunch for any length of time.
You'll call Bart Ed or is it call Ed Bart......oh well, it is like hanging with other folks. You learn or pick up nicknames....Good times!!!!

This is more or less where I stand.

I'm Undertow on the Lounge, but David in person.

If you and I have met in propria persona, or if, perhaps, we've had discussions over PM, and thus we are familiar with one another, you may call me by my first name on the Lounge. Otherwise, you only know me as Undertow, which is fine by me.

Same thing applies towards meeting new people anywhere - you do your best to call them Mr. and Mrs. Smith until they say, "Oh no, please, call us Ed and Laura".

So I suggest you all travel to Iowa just to meet me. ;)

Omne

Familiar Face
Well, I've used Omne on and off since about 1977 on the old timeshare systems. My actual name is Jim.

I answer to either.

scooter

Practically Family
The "scooter" started years ago when I started riding motorcycles and a friend noticed people staring at us, and told me they see us as "scooter-trash". I've adopted the scooter part, or some derivative thereof, online ever since. My Christian name is Robert, better known as Rob. Those who have dealt with me in personal transactions know that name, but any and all are welcome to use it. I hesitated for a good while using others proper names, as to me, it implies a familiarity that may not be appreciated. Rusty doesn't know me from Adam, so I don't know how he feels about me calling him Rusty, for example.

As for me, I am at ease with whatever nom de guerre you choose!

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I have my name in my signature so anyone is welcome to use it. Username, actual name - it's all good.

When a lounger has their actual name listed I'll tend to use it as well as others I might have had other communication with.

If I was registering again, I'd probably use some variation of my actual name. I had no idea I'd be around this much when I joined.

RBH

Bartender
The "scooter" started years ago when I started riding motorcycles and a friend noticed people staring at us, and told me they see us as "scooter-trash". I've adopted the scooter part, or some derivative thereof, online ever since. My Christian name is Robert, better known as Rob. Those who have dealt with me in personal transactions know that name, but any and all are welcome to use it. I hesitated for a good while using others proper names, as to me, it implies a familiarity that may not be appreciated. Rusty doesn't know me from Adam, so I don't know how he feels about me calling him Rusty, for example.

As for me, I am at ease with whatever nom de guerre you choose!

While I have met alot of you. I do feel I 'know' all of you.
Rusty is fine but my actual name is Russell... I answer to most all I am called .
Except for a few choice names from Tom Dean. :D

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I often put my first name at the end of posts, and I believe I've put my last name out there at some point as well. My user name is simply my initials in the military phonetic alphabet, which I had to give when talking with the distant end (Comm) for their log. I've used Tango or Tango Yankee for a while now.

As a long-time Internet user I can certainly understand why anyone wouldn't want to use their real name--it's simply self-defense. I'm a bit more blase' about it; heck, I even have where I live under Location and have spoken a number of times about my home town. I think the chances of such an attitude of biting me in the butt are slim, but do know there is a chance. Who knows, a Master Hat Thief might be lurking here right now, scheming whose hat collections to swoop in and plunder!!! :D Or not.

Cheers,
Tom

delectans

Call Me a Cab
To add yet another angle to this interesting discussion, I think that, unlike many other fora, our forum in particular, and the 'Hats' sub-forum specifically, involves more than dialogue. Many of us post photos of ourselves wearing the subjects of our mutual interest, and through them, over time, we develop a familiarity with our forum friends that extends naturally to a desire to refer to one another via more personal and less formal means.

This is the reason I included my name in my signature line since the day I joined, and always make the effort to refer to my fellow loungers by their first name when known, and its use sanctioned. I completely understand some members' desire for anonymity and privacy, and have no issues with references to me by my 'handle' or by name.

I rather enjoy the forum's myriad interesting pseudonyms. They add an extra dimension and mystique to the lounger at the other end of cyberspace.

Now that it is official, it is good to meet you, Randall! :yo:

Last edited:

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
I concur. You can call me whatever you like but you will almost always be wrong if you call me late for dinner...wahka wahka
Mike :)

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I noticed this a while back, and started including my name in my signature. No one picked up on it, and I don't much care what I'm called (occasionally people just have the wrong name. I spent an entire weekend as "Dan" because someone heard my last name and got confused.) If y'all prefer Yeps, I am cool with that. Hell, you can call me Yeps in person if you ever see me in the real world. That way I will be able to figure out how I know you.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Yep, just like "The Artist Formerly Known as Prince",...when he changed his name to,..*#! (or whatever that goofy symbol was) [huh]

Blondie did it, when he switched from JB to The Good. Confused me until I made a nickname, and then I remembered.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Just having had this discussion somehow makes me feel more comfortable using your first names, and I'll start doing that when they're available. Thanks to those of you who weighed in.

DesertDan

One Too Many
My real name is Dan and I actually do live in the desert.

Astonishingly creative, I know. :D

And no, I do not resemble Rigby Reardon.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Good day folks.

Like many previous posters, I selected a forum name for anonymity and privacy. This is required the first moments of joining the Fedora Forum. Without much previous experience with the forum I was cautious, as I have been trained working in the world today.

My pseudonym, Short Balding Guy, is what I have learned that others see of me. This "alias" has been used in public introductions to famous and notable folks. Works in those situations -works for the Fedora Forum. What folks see of me has really come to be highlighted during my second career. After retirement from corporate america, I have chosen to coach womens gymnastics in the US. Early on, my athletes and I were traveling in Europe and a celebrity and her entourage wanted to meet the girls. We lined up to be introduced and shake hands. The girls introduced me as the "short balding guy" in line is our coach. She was gorgeous, buff, a star and good with the girls pseudonym for me. I have met politicians in a similar fashion and am the "short balding guy." I have heard the promopters and staff of media journalists request that the "short balding guy" be preped and ready. At home, my wife finds out frequently that she is married to the short balding guy, wearing a hat, who is always walking the 2 curly Port. Water Dogs the lakes and thru the neighborhoods.

Short Balding Guy and comfortable. ;) When I am feeling comfortable with forum members I sign my name, Eric .

Glad to make your aquaintance Fedora Forum folks, Eric -

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24