Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A mother's love for her son never ceases.

Feraud

Bartender
While at a thrift store this weekend my wife found a book for me. It is a pictoral history of WWII. I thought it was a great book with pictures on every page. For .99 cents you cannot go wrong.
It was not until I got home and looked at the flyleaf did I notice the inscription.
The book was printed in 1944 and given to a returning veteran by his mother in 1945.
Here is the page.
scan0145.jpg

scan0143.jpg

Hondo

One Too Many
Yes thank you! for posting this and with Memorial Day weekend approaching lets not forget all those son’s who who gave their lives, and never saw combat, just an example, a mothers love and there were many more. Each Memorial, Veterans Day I can't help but think of those. Thank a Veteran.

Dagwood

Practically Family
Thanks for posting this Feraud.

Some of the most memorable gifts I have received are books with personal inscriptions. They always make the gift seem very special.

I second Hondo - big thanks to our Veterans.

TailendCharlie

One of the Regulars
Feraud said:
While at a thrift store this weekend my wife found a book for me. It is a pictoral history of WWII. I thought it was a great book with pictures on every page. For .99 cents you cannot go wrong.
It was not until I got home and looked at the flyleaf did I notice the inscription.
The book was printed in 1944 and given to a returning veteran by his mother in 1945.
Here is the page.
scan0145.jpg

scan0143.jpg
Great find Feraud! I found those same books at a thrift store about a month ago for $.99;Hey how come the keyboard dosn't have the cent symbol!Anyway What vol. is that book?I have 2,4,5,6 and 7. Thanks for sharing.

Feraud

Bartender
My book is volume 2. Do you know how many complete the set?
I was wondering if the soldier's mom inscribed each flyleaf or just that particular one? Book #2 would be an odd choice to write on.
TailendCharlie said:
What vol. is that book?I have 2,4,5,6 and 7. Thanks for sharing.

Shimmy Sally

I'm glad the book ended up in the hands of someone who appreciates it.
A friend of mine bought me a 1940s travel case as a birthday gift a couple yeras ago. It was clearly full of goodies, but locked with no key. Once we figured out how to open it without breaking it, we discovered family photo albums from the 20s-50s. It broke my heart.

TailendCharlie

One of the Regulars
Feraud said:
My book is volume 2. Do you know how many complete the set?
I was wondering if the soldier's mom inscribed each flyleaf or just that particular one? Book #2 would be an odd choice to write on.
I found a complete set on e-bay sellling for $50.There are six in this set,begining with publish date of 1944,like I said my incomplete set has a vol 7 which contains updates declassified photos and post war items published in 1948.I'm still in search for vol.1 Keep your eyes peeled Fedora fans!
Over and out! Tailendcharlie

Miss Brill

One Too Many
RetroModelSari said:
That´s a lovely find. I truely can´t understand why someone would give such a piece of family-history away... *sigh*

They may have died. But some people don't care. A few years ago one of my cousins threw away photographs & letters of/by my great-great-great grandparents. They didn't think anyone would want them... :mad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou