Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A new member's new hat, or, always check out vintage stores!

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Great lid, Abyss! A Knox 100 with a Cavanagh edge ain't too shabby! :D

Woolf Brothers was a well-known department store in Kansas City. I don't think they're around anymore. When I lived in K.C., I bought a Churchill at Jack Henry on Country Club Plaza -- don't know if they're still around, either. You may want to check out the Westport Flea Market sometime -- don't know if they have any lids, but it might be worth a shot.

Welcome to the Lounge!

Cheers,
JtL

AdmiralTofu

One of the Regulars
Glad to see you've finally joined, after months of my prodding you!

I'm telling you, guys, I swear, I was like, "Abyss, join already!" at least once a week. ;)

Welcome to the Lounge, good buddy! Now if only I could find a sweet vintage lid like that to fit my ill-shaped 7 3/8 LO noggin.

What a find. I'm jealous and happy for you all at the same time!

-Tofu

Twenty bucks? In a vintage shop? Sheesh man, a Seattle vintage store would be asking three times as much. At least.

Yup, you done good. Perhaps this will be but a once-only kinda deal, but you may wish to befriend that vintage dealer.

Abyss

Familiar Face
Thanks for the kind words all! :D

Jimmy: I knew I've seen Woolf Brothers, or at least the name, before, thanks for the clarification. According to the Country Club Plaza website, Jack henry is still around; I may have to go there some time. I've been to the Westport Flea Market... for lunch! It's mostly a restaurant, with a couple of antique mall style stalls. I don't remember seeing any hats, but then again that was before I knew about the Lounge, so I just may have overlooked them.

Tonyb: This particular vintage store focuses on 70's and 80's clothing, Disco and parachute pants and such, and all of the (non-cowboy) hats were either 18 or 20 dollars. I don't think that the owner knows much about clothing from the first half of the 20th century. Good for us who have a clue about hats, eh?

Say, does anyone know how to date my hat?

Again, thanks for the welcome!

metropd

One Too Many
One of best hats I have ever seen posted on the Lounge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, you certainly hit on all cylinders with that find! Congratulations and welcome to the Lounge. (What took you so long? ;) )

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Abyss said:
Say, does anyone know how to date my hat?

I'd say 1940s, but I'm no expert. Brown sweatband means pre-1960s, the dimensions hint at the1940s.
When were Knox 100s produced?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
That's a heck of find, Abyss, and quite the strategy, going straight for the cream-of-the-crop for your first vintage hat.:eusa_clap Wish we had stores like that around here!

I've got an article from 1955 that states Cavanagh, Dobbs, and Knox introduced a new line of custom-made hat at the $50 and $100 price points. Was this the first time they offered a hat for $100? I don't know. But it wouldn't surprise me if your hat dated from then.

I see your wind trolley button has the Knox crest on it; that's a nice touch. Has it come loose, or just need to be rewrapped to sit by the bow?

Congratulations on owning one of the finer hats in life.

Brad

Abyss

Familiar Face
The reason it took me so long to join was, well, I was always standing at the side, just ready to jump in, but I didn't think that I had enough to contribute. Then that hat flew out of nowhere and knocked me into the pool, wheee.

That, and I use gmail for my e-mail, and my ISP's e-mail has been left barren for over a year, all that time under attack by spam! I had to work up the courage to wade into the quagmire of spam, delete thirty or so spam messages from the future just so the most recent e-mails would show up on the first page, and worst of all, remember my password. A daunting task. While waiting for the confirmation e-mail to come back I sent about 500 spam messages to their doom, and only have 35,000 more to go!

Yeah, I know, excuses excuses.

So, 1940's to 1960, probably mid 1950's? Sweet. I'll make sure to treat it with the respect it deserves. It's certainly the oldest clothing item I own (For now!).

The wind trolley, which I have no clue how to use, seems to me to be almost in brand new condition. t is a loop of elastic with the Knox crest as a button on it, that's the wind trolley correct? The crest is on the opposite side from the bow because that was how it was in the store.

Again, thanks.

Oh, the measured dimensions, which I forgot to include in the first post: The brim is 2 1/4 inches, when open crown I think the top of the hat is 5 1/2 inches tall. I think, that's kinda hard to measure and I didn't measure it with a bash. The ribbon is 2 inches.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Great catch! Congratulations on a great find Abyss!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap
It's not every day you get to find a fantastic hat at such a great deal. Good job! Doesn't look like there any moth nibble there either. Nice.

Cheers!

Dan

ukhomefront

New in Town

Hi
as a new member to the lounge,i was looking at all the hats you have on here they look nice to look at, but here in the UK i always wear my pinny and turban, did any of the ladys in the USA wear them in the war or was it just hats and furs, it would be nice to know what the dress code was over there

carldelo

One Too Many
Sweet lid - lucky dog

That's one sweet lid - my first hat was a Cavanagh edge thrift store find as well. Of course that was over 30 years ago and I wore it out, like a dope. Wish I'd known how valuable it was (or would be) - no lounge then...

Great first post, and your photographs are really nice - enjoy, enjoy....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo