Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A pilgrimage to Art's hat shop

gcollins

One of the Regulars
Well folks,

I made it to the USA on Labor Day, dropped my gear off at the hotel, and went off to see Art's hat shop...and lo and behold, it turned into a FL event. After a nice lunch and a couple of drinks with Andykev, jamespowers, wingnut and the man Art himself, we went over to check out his hats.

And oh my, you cannot imagine how many hats the man has! He doesn't even know; he spent the afternoon with us pulling out hats of all varieties, makes and felts: the cool, the funky, and the outrageous--all vintage of course. Vintage ribbons from decades old collections, movie hats, collection of felts, antique top hats, his latest Streamliner and Collegiate designs (wait till you see my moss Collegiate with the vintage ribbon and bound edge in a few weeks). Up in his Hat Shop, he did a bit of work re-blocking my Optimo (in that awesome 40s block he does) and a new ribbon and bow for wingnut's panama, while we chatted more about fedoras than I ever have with anyone in a lifetime. Learned a ton of course, including first hand the process of making and blocking hats. And we didn't get to the suits, the shoes, and accessories.

What fun. It was a great afternoon, and a trip to that incredible Vintage Sillouettes. I fully recommend you stop in when in San Fran. Art, his work, and his passion are everything advertised.

Thanks Art and the three comrades for coming out that day. Made my trip.

Next hat missions: Greeley Hat Works in October, and on to Optimo in perhaps December.

G

The Wingnut

One Too Many
It was great meeting you and the rest of the gang, G...we have to do it again the next time that you're in town.

Art's hat collection is something indeed...when JP can randomly pick out a hat sitting out in the open that Art 'completely forgot was there', you know there's too many hat around!

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Got a big compliment tonight...my daughter was on my lap and kept pointing to Jamespowers and saying "Daddy!" "Daddy!"

James, there can't be two of us out there? Your wife must be a babe...I know my first one was and my second one not too shabby, either...hahaha.

Its good to know that kids like me in pictures as well as in person. :cool: I am the only one who can stop my secretary's 6 month old from crying her head off too. :D I draw the line at diapers---no way! [bad]
Yeah, I suppose there is some resemblance. You, I and David Hasselhoff do look a lot alike. LOL LOL
Yep, my wife is a babe but I am biased. ;) I am still on the first one and I keep telling her she is stuck with me. :D

Regards to all,

J

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Thanks for the complimentary prose gentlemen!!! G, it was a really fun day and welcome you again at any time!!
I'll be home in a few days to start playing with Moss.:)

I think I can jump in here and say I saw them and it is incredible that people can do such fine work without going blind! :D The straw is so fine that it looks like cloth not straw. :eek: They are even flexible like our felt fedoras. Something you need to see and feel to appreciate.
I am no expert in the straws but I do know a well woven hat when I see one. They put my old fragile 40s Cuenca to shame and I like that hat. :D

Regards to all,

J

P.S. This is an unpaid celebrity endorsement. No money or hats exchanged hands. Darn! LOL LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt