Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A question for the red heads...

Grant Fan

Practically Family
Okay so, looking at pictures of my hair, I think I'm either an idiot or colorblind or both. lol It looks pretty darn red. In real life it looks a little lighter/more orangey than these pictures, but not much. Overall I am very happy with the color! Thanks for all the recommendations, ladies!

This was the first night, right after coloring:
25036f4.jpg

These were taken this morning. Apologies for "bathroom" pics, but it is the only place in the house that has good light & mirrors.
2ce52dg.jpg

n2nzhj.jpg
Thank you, ladies! I'm feeling much better about it now that a couple of days have gone by. I do love this color! I even had compliments from a few coworkers.

Here's a pic from this morning after being washed & straightened (I know, I know, but I was in a hurry and didn't have time to let it air dry):
1z5r955.jpg

Kami, you should go back to red, it suits you so well! Definitely post pictures. :D

I love it... and just so you know mine looks like that right after coloring too ti mellows out a bit in rinse or too. I love it on you. I hope you like it .

Grant Fan

Practically Family
Ok ladies I thought you would appreciate this.... this is from last Saturday's 100 years of Naval Aviation ball. Anyway I was told honestly countless times I looked like Ariel ( the little mermaid was my childhood hero (wanted to be a redhead even then)) all night long by men and women alike. But I thought it was something my fellow reds would appreciate. This is also a week after coloring.
CONABall.jpg

Lenore

Practically Family
So... after three weeks, I'm really liking it. I'm doing my touch up this weekend. Afterwards, I'll take pictures. :)

Grant Fan, you look divine. :)

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Ok ladies I thought you would appreciate this.... this is from last Saturday's 100 years of Naval Aviation ball. Anyway I was told honestly countless times I looked like Ariel ( the little mermaid was my childhood hero (wanted to be a redhead even then)) all night long by men and women alike. But I thought it was something my fellow reds would appreciate. This is also a week after coloring.

You look glorious! I can see the Ariel resemblance for sure :) That is a beautiful dress, too...

Christi.adell

One of the Regulars
Okay as promised a picture! Please excuse the "hair dye" shirt.

IMG_5198 by christi.adell, on Flickr

I'm not sure I'm digging it. In real life it's a bit lighter (It was dark when we took this last night). The color came out just as expected but I just don't know if it's a win for me. Eh we'll see. Either way thanks guys for the input. :)

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I like it!!! It looks really cute and works well with your complexion, and I really like that color with that particular haircut.

I know how I am whenever I change my color (even slightly), so maybe you'll feel better about it after you live with it for a few days and the color settles in a bit. I think you are darling, though.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I'm not sure I'm digging it. In real life it's a bit lighter (It was dark when we took this last night). The color came out just as expected but I just don't know if it's a win for me. Eh we'll see. Either way thanks guys for the input. :)

Cute! :) It goes well with your skin tone. Wear it around for a week, and see if it grows on you maybe?

Grant Fan

Practically Family
Okay as promised a picture! Please excuse the "hair dye" shirt.

It looks great I think you look lovely with red hair.

zombi

A-List Customer
Christi, I think that is a gorgeous copper! Just beautiful and it looks lovely on you. Wear a bit and then see how you feel -- sometimes new colours take some adjusting to, you know?

Christi.adell

One of the Regulars
Oh hey thanks everyone! It does take some getting use to and I'd probably like it better if my hair were longer still. Either way I'm pretty excited it came out well even if I don't keep it. :D

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I did it last night! I'm not quite happy with it because it gets darker towards the bottom, where the old color was but nothing will help that but cutting it off short or time to grow it out.
6214515594_10f5071651.jpg

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
I did it last night! I'm not quite happy with it because it gets darker towards the bottom, where the old color was but nothing will help that but cutting it off short or time to grow it out.
6214515594_10f5071651.jpg
It's lovely! Everyone's turned out great. I am so thinking about going red now.

Kamikat, is it possible the ends soaked up more color and hence the darker shade? That happens to me after several months of coloring. I have to brush through to the ends during the last 10 min instead of applying all over. I think yours turned out really nice.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Very pretty, kami! I think red suits you the best of all of the hair colors I've seen you wear.

Clabbergirl - I think you could definitely go red. If you're nervous, you could start with a reddish auburn-brown to sort of ease into it. John Frieda foam color has a light red brown 6R that I've used, I think it would look really nice on you. I can see you with an auburn shade, or a really deep, rich almost burgundy red.

Last edited:

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Kamikat, is it possible the ends soaked up more color and hence the darker shade? That happens to me after several months of coloring. I have to brush through to the ends during the last 10 min instead of applying all over. I think yours turned out really nice.
No, I was dying it black over the summer.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Hi everyone, I didn't want to start a new thread, but I need a bit of advice on a red hair dying disaster.

I thought I'd try a different colour/brand of dye (Revlon dark auburn). On the plus size the coverage is good & it hasn't irritated my scalp at all, but the colour has settled (in about a week) & there is a definite purple hue to it that I really really don't like. I've tried washing it using an anti dandruff shampoo to strip the colour a little - does anyone have other suggestions? Cheers.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I've tried washing it using an anti dandruff shampoo to strip the colour a little - does anyone have other suggestions? Cheers.

You could strip the colour completely with colour corrector, but it will damage your hair, and you'll more than likely end up dropping a lot of cash to recolour it... Not much fun. If you want a shampoo that really attacks your colour, see if you can find Prell. It's so cheaply made, its downright potent. Any girl who has ever made a hair colour mistake will tell you how well it works (I'm one of them ;))

In the meantime, take comfort in the fact that violet and red hues fade much faster than any others!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto