Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A question for the red heads...

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Well, I colored with the intense red copper... but I think I kind of screwed it up. Immediately after coloring I always use a deep conditioning treatment, and I had a sample from Sephora I threw on. It was the Ojon restorative, which I have never used before and assumed it was just a regular deep conditioner. Well, it isn't and naturally I didn't read the instructions until after it was already on my hair. It isn't recommended to use within 5 days of coloring (ugh! does it strip color?), and also you have to shampoo after using it. So, I had to wash my hair twice immediately after coloring to get the oily residue out. I did use a super gentle sulfate-free shampoo, but still... I try not to shampoo after coloring because I feel like it fades faster.

My hair's still wet (I'm letting it air dry) so am anxious to see how it turns out. So far it looks lighter than before and definitely more red. I guess if it is bad I'll just buy another box and try again!

Last edited:

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
If it's a high protein conditioner, it can push out the dye molecules. Since red pigments are a larger molecule, they sit more on top of the hair shaft than brown or blonde. For someone with really damaged hair, I like to do a protein treatment right before a color application, rather than after. I know that doesn't help you now, but in the future, do the treatment about 24hr before so you have time to wash all the residue out before your color.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Urgh. Well, the color looks fine today, but it is definitely somewhat lighter than the box. I'm hesitant to recolor immediately, so I'll probably at least give it a week and see how it looks, and maybe try again next weekend if I'm not thrilled. I do really like the color, it is a really bright, light copper. It just isn't quite as dark as the pics I posted a couple of pages back (probably due to the stinkin' Ojon).

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Urgh. Well, the color looks fine today, but it is definitely somewhat lighter than the box. I'm hesitant to recolor immediately, so I'll probably at least give it a week and see how it looks, and maybe try again next weekend if I'm not thrilled. I do really like the color, it is a really bright, light copper. It just isn't quite as dark as the pics I posted a couple of pages back (probably due to the stinkin' Ojon).

Could be, but don't strike it off your list before your colour soaks in for a good week :) If you were starting with lighter hair, this could also be the case. Keep in mind that leaving the dye in longer makes the colour more saturated. I think Superior Preference advises you to leave the colour on for 30-40 minutes - Leave it in for 45 or 50, then give it a good thorough scrub with shampoo until the water runs clear. This will give you more intense colour, and it won't stain your pillowcase!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I think it said 25, and I always go over because my hair is very thick & coarse, I think I went about 35 mins. Also my hair was darker when I started, more of a light brown-auburn. I think it probably was a combo of the Ojon and the fact that I shampooed it immediately after coloring, but I'm not going to stress. They sell more hair color & I can always try again, and it did turn out nice, just a little lighter than what I anticipated. Granted, I haven't been out in much natural light today so I'm anxious to see how it looks outdoors.

Kami - Thanks for the tip!

Last edited:

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Okay so, looking at pictures of my hair, I think I'm either an idiot or colorblind or both. lol It looks pretty darn red. In real life it looks a little lighter/more orangey than these pictures, but not much. Overall I am very happy with the color! Thanks for all the recommendations, ladies!

This was the first night, right after coloring:
25036f4.jpg

These were taken this morning. Apologies for "bathroom" pics, but it is the only place in the house that has good light & mirrors.
2ce52dg.jpg

n2nzhj.jpg

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
What a lovely color! I've been itching to go back to red. My black faded much more than I expected it to. I have horizontal stripes from each time it was colored, of lighter and redder color. I might go back to red this weekend.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Thank you, ladies! I'm feeling much better about it now that a couple of days have gone by. I do love this color! I even had compliments from a few coworkers.

Here's a pic from this morning after being washed & straightened (I know, I know, but I was in a hurry and didn't have time to let it air dry):
1z5r955.jpg

Kami, you should go back to red, it suits you so well! Definitely post pictures. :D

Last edited:

Christi.adell

One of the Regulars
Glad you're liking it better. I think it takes a day or two to adjust to a new color anyway.

I just ordered my color last night! Hopefully it gets here soon.

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
This thread is making me want to go back to red something terrible! I love red hair and I flip-flop over which shade is best, upkeep, etc. But when I see such gorgeous color it makes me forget about all of that and just WANT IT!

Warden

One Too Many
My son was born 3 months ago and arrvied with a full crop of red hair. Maybe it was the gas and air Edna was on, but all she could say when he was born was "red hair?, red hair"?

He still has his lovely amber locks and he makes his daddy proud.

Christi.adell

One of the Regulars
Not a problem! :) I'm much better at colour than I am at hairdressing.

If you can get your hands on Wella Koleston Perfect, I used 12/07 in Special Blonde and 8/43 in Vibrant Reds. Here is the site with their swatches - they're a bit small, but you'll get the idea. You want a rich honey blonde and a pure, light copper, half of each. I used a 30vol developer to get it looking very rich, but a 20 should be just fine.

The blonde it faded to was very yellow. I'm wondering if a red shampoo would help preserve the copper longer. If not, mist it with peroxide and it will look a little clearer :)

I hope you don't mind me asking one more question C-dot. I got in my color today and the Special Blonde says mix 1:2 and the Red says 1:1. I know you said mix the colors equally but then do I add equal developer or twice the developer like the Special Blonde says?

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I hope you don't mind me asking one more question C-dot. I got in my color today and the Special Blonde says mix 1:2 and the Red says 1:1. I know you said mix the colors equally but then do I add equal developer or twice the developer like the Special Blonde says?

Equal developer. Blonde usually requires more developer for a more pure tone, but you want the red to show through. :)

Christi.adell

One of the Regulars
Sweet! Thanks for the quick reply. :)

I'm doing my hair tonight (hopefully) I'll post pics as long as it's not a heinous disaster. Though it may be funny if it's super heinous so I might just post them anyway. lol

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Bellabella, I think that was Redken. I'll look up the dates and double check if you want me to. I no lo get use Redken, though. Their reds are beautiful when first done, but fade fast. I now use Goldwell. Their refs aren't as bright but stay true much longer. I've switched all my clients to Goldwell and they're very happy. My avatar is Goldwell 6RR.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner