Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A question for the red heads...

Grant Fan

Practically Family
I'm looking at the colour on the non-highlighted underneath sections of her hair, and I don't think that's a red base. Given that she has blonde highlights, it most likely isn't - If it was, the blonde would take on some of the red and look pink when washed (which is why they aren't usually combined). It looks to me like a warm, medium toned chestnut, which may shine reddish under bright lights.

I am not a hairdresser but hey I think I do at least as good of a job as a professional does most of the time. I have to agree it does seem like a chestnut tone. I colored a friends hair a chestnut a few weeks back from a dark blond and it had that kind of reddish hue when it is in the sun. It is very pretty.

She's mentioned a few times that she uses Superior Preference's Intense Red Copper (Not that I'm a stalker either... :eek:) I've used it too, and I would recommend it to copy Christina's colour.

Now I am flattered that I have to hair admirers.....C-dot you hit it on the head I do use that color and have to quite a few years I love it.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, ladies!

When I want a more vibrant red, I usually go for Revlon Colorsilk light or medium auburn. The medium auburn on me usually ends up really close to Emily Blunt's color in The Devil Wears Prada.

34hckec.jpg

That still isn't quite as bright or light though, as Christina's color or Grant Fan's. I just colored 3 weeks ago and although my hair grows fast, I don't have roots or fade yet (I only shampoo 1-2 times per week), so I am not quite ready to re-color. I'm going to look at the intense red copper, though! If I try it, I will take photos.

Christi.adell

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the info ladies!
So something like this:
51zYpf2MzTL._SS420_.jpg

I guess I just thought red because every other picture of her she has red hair like this:
adele%2527s%2Bhair.jpg

Though I was drawn to the other picture. But that chestnut is pretty dark and box color always go super dark on me.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I guess I just thought red because every other picture of her she has red hair like this:
adele%2527s%2Bhair.jpg

Ahh, that's a true Strawberry Blonde, and its easy to get but impossible to keep. My hair grows that colour, though much less vibrantly than when I was a kid. A few years back, I succeeded in finding the formula to get it - half honey blonde, half light copper - but the copper washes out completely in two washes, and you're left with honey blonde. If you have anything other than clear blonde or light red hair, you'd need to strip it completely before this would even take.

Also, if box colour goes very dark on you, then go 3 shades lighter than what you want. If you decide to go the beauty supply route with professional colour, you could go one shade lighter and use a higher developer, perhaps 30 volume. If you're starting with black, like in your avatar, you'll need to strip the colour with bleach. This will damage your hair, but look on the bright side: You can use the exact colour you want :)

Christi.adell

One of the Regulars
C-Dot thank you for being so helpful!

And no I don't have the black anymore I grew it out a bit and chopped to a pixie a few months back. I don't like not being able to change my hair color all the time LOL.

I'm all for using a professional brand hair color (ebay ftw!) And honestly I'm all for the fade to blonde (as long as it's not brassy I guess?) I think that would look pretty as well. Do you remember what brand you used by any chance or at least the levels? I really do appreciate it.

EDIT: What about Redken Color Gel 9RO and 8NG? Or maybe Pravana 9.04 and 9.3? Am I way off? (I'm looking at hair swatches on Extendedlengths.com)

Last edited:

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I'm all for using a professional brand hair color (ebay ftw!) And honestly I'm all for the fade to blonde (as long as it's not brassy I guess?) I think that would look pretty as well. Do you remember what brand you used by any chance or at least the levels? I really do appreciate it.

EDIT: What about Redken Color Gel 9RO and 8NG? Or maybe Pravana 9.04 and 9.3? Am I way off? (I'm looking at hair swatches on Extendedlengths.com)

Not a problem! :) I'm much better at colour than I am at hairdressing.

If you can get your hands on Wella Koleston Perfect, I used 12/07 in Special Blonde and 8/43 in Vibrant Reds. Here is the site with their swatches - they're a bit small, but you'll get the idea. You want a rich honey blonde and a pure, light copper, half of each. I used a 30vol developer to get it looking very rich, but a 20 should be just fine.

The blonde it faded to was very yellow. I'm wondering if a red shampoo would help preserve the copper longer. If not, mist it with peroxide and it will look a little clearer :)

Kishtu

Practically Family
Reading this, I am tempted to henna mine again - in additin to actually letting someone else other than me cut it :eek:

Lush do a lovely range of hennas and if you leave them on overnight with a shower cap on your head you get a) a very sweaty head :) and b) a lovely conditioning job.
But henna is so permanent.... decisions, decisions..... it's almost a year since I last coloured it and it's at the how-many-different-colours?? stage....

Christi.adell

One of the Regulars
Not a problem! :) I'm much better at colour than I am at hairdressing.

If you can get your hands on Wella Koleston Perfect, I used 12/07 in Special Blonde and 8/43 in Vibrant Reds. Here is the site with their swatches - they're a bit small, but you'll get the idea. You want a rich honey blonde and a pure, light copper, half of each. I used a 30vol developer to get it looking very rich, but a 20 should be just fine.

The blonde it faded to was very yellow. I'm wondering if a red shampoo would help preserve the copper longer. If not, mist it with peroxide and it will look a little clearer :)

You are awesome. Thank you!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I just wanted to say that Adele's hair is gorgeous and I *love* her makeup in those photos.

This is about the typical color of my hair:
ivwggg.jpg

Do you girls think I can pull off a somewhat lighter, more coppery red, like the photos I posted on page 16 of Christina Hendricks and the lovely Grant Fan? I want something Maureen O'Hara technicolor red. Please be honest, I don't mind. That picture is from last November and I believe I was using Colorsilk's Medium Auburn, which a more vibrant red than my natural color.

Last edited:

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
^ Thanks, C-Dot, you are sweet!

Here is another shot, with slightly lighter hair:
DSCN14421.jpg

Sometimes I just get that feeling that I'm boring and frumpy looking, being past 35 now and not tall or slender. I feel like I'm very hausfrau, and not very Dita or Christina Hendricks, so I convince myself that I can't pull off something like a brighter red. Know what I mean?

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
^ Thanks, C-Dot, you are sweet!
Sometimes I just get that feeling that I'm boring and frumpy looking, being past 35 now and not tall or slender. I feel like I'm very hausfrau, and not very Dita or Christina Hendricks, so I convince myself that I can't pull off something like a brighter red. Know what I mean?

You do NOT look like a hausfrau, but I chuckled when I read it because that's exactly what I've thought of myself sometimes when I dress vintage. I start thinking I'm too fat and old to look glamorous and instead look like a grandma. It's one of those dangerous inner voices that tends to play to our insecurities, but it's very hard to ignore that voice. I like your hair color here, but I also believe that older women can wear the brilliant reds successfully also. I kind of view it as more youthful even.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Clabbergirl, thanks for your comments. I'm glad someone else knows what I am talking about, and you're exactly right, it is one of those insecure inner voices that can be difficult to ignore! I try to remind myself that without a serious corset and a team of makeup artists, Christina Hendricks would probably look about the same.

Grant Fan

Practically Family
That color goes on very dark try a color like loreal light amber brown if you want a chestnuty color trust me it will come out great. Or for a strawberry blonde effect try light reddish blonde... or lightest auburn which is darker but you might have sucess with it depending on your base color. Both of those red shades are also loreal. I don't know if that helped or just made it much more difficult

Christi.adell

One of the Regulars
Do you girls think I can pull off a somewhat lighter, more coppery red

Yes! I think it may actually be better with your skin tone. Do it! :)

EDIT: Also I think EVERYONE feels dumpy or not as glam when looking at Christina or Dita, etc. It's just the way of things. But for what it's worth I think you look really cute in the picture you posted up top.

Last edited:

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Okay, you ladies have convinced me... I'm doing it this weekend! I'm so excited! lol

Christi - If that's you in your avatar, you are gorgeous! You remind me of my sister, she has really dark hair & fair skin. Growing up, my mother always called her "Snow White." And thank you for the sweet compliments. :)

Christi.adell

One of the Regulars
That color goes on very dark try a color like loreal light amber brown if you want a chestnuty color trust me it will come out great. Or for a strawberry blonde effect try light reddish blonde... or lightest auburn which is darker but you might have sucess with it depending on your base color. Both of those red shades are also loreal. I don't know if that helped or just made it much more difficult

This was directed at my post I'm thinking and believe me it all helps! Thanks. :)
Now to decide and actually do it. My husband's a red head so that's the only thing giving me pause. Though that may sound silly.
But his mother thinks I'm crazy wanting to have red hair too. Ha!

Christi.adell

One of the Regulars
Okay, you ladies have convinced me... I'm doing it this weekend! I'm so excited! lol

Christi - If that's you in your avatar, you are gorgeous! You remind me of my sister, she has really dark hair & fair skin. Growing up, my mother always called her "Snow White." And thank you for the sweet compliments. :)

Yay! Post pics of course.

And thank you, I really liked the Snow White look too but after awhile a woman needs change ya know! :D

Grant Fan

Practically Family
This was directed at my post I'm thinking and believe me it all helps! Thanks. :)
Now to decide and actually do it. My husband's a red head so that's the only thing giving me pause. Though that may sound silly.
But his mother thinks I'm crazy wanting to have red hair too. Ha!
Christi.adell I am similarly complected to you when I don't have red hair. I am super fair and my natural color is almost black naturally. If you want a really bright red the colors I use will work great but if you want lighter maybe those other colors. But to be honest I would seek the help of a professional because going from dark to strawberry would be very difficult, and could end badly.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I agree with Grant Fan. I'm very experienced with home color and feel comfortable even doing things like highlights and correction, but I don't know if I would even attempt going from super dark to the light shade like Adele has. It would definitely be a multi-step process!

I'll take pics of my coloring exploits this weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ