Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A question for the red heads...

cecil

A-List Customer
I just read that post O'Hairas and I second everything! I'm nowhere near as red as i used to be but when I went from dark brown to "pretty red" as opposed to "garish brassy strawberry blonde" i did it just like you said. Hahaha.

Miss RM

Familiar Face
Thanks, ohairas! My hair IS dyed a bit darker than my natural already dark hair. The summer sun will lighten it up a fair bit, though... so maybe I'll attempt red a few months from now - when it'll show up!

Shirin

A-List Customer
2155831725_35b8f0e21e.jpg
[/QUOTE]

O Haira you are SO beautiful!
Would this photo happen to be taken at Worlds of Fun? We used to live in Atchison and would make the drive there occasionally. But I can't remember what the carousel looked like, if its even the same one. I do remember my horse was a dapple gray.

CherryWry

One of the Regulars
I like the Clairol Perfect 10 Auburns. I used to go with the light auburn, but found the medium lasts longer and looks better on me. My hair is naturally a medium brown, but miraculously doesn't get really visible roots as it grows out when I use these colors. I have to leave it on the front for a looooong time, as I have really stubborn white. It looks artificial for the first few days, but after one or two washes, it looks fine...kind of cinnamon.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
a heads up for the red-heads!

I adore the color petroleum, and if a red-head wears it I'm tickled pink! Mango's fall collection is on sale, and with it many petroleum items. I just treated myself to a wool cardigan and a v-neck sweater. I couldn't find pics of either, but here's a feather bolero (!) in the same shade:
13219871_PR.jpg

I love color!

TheLibrarian

New in Town
I'm a red head and I wear pink on a regular basis. I think it's the shade of pink that is imporant-- you have to find one that goes well with both your skintone and your hair, and usually that means a very blue pink for me. I think that pastel is a good way to go, too.

Much to my horror, I find that orange and coral look good on me. Despite the red hair. Orange! I think I would rather go with pink...

Penny Dreadful

One of the Regulars
I've never been loyal to one shade. When I go to the salon I get RR5 with copper highlights. It's about the most intense you can get without looking like a crayon. It doesn't show perfectly in this picture but here it is right after coming home from the salon.
4461_181966405011_597260011_6788294_1435380_n.jpg

The rest of the time I use different stuff, which always fades to the same medium-deep auburn, which to me looks almost brown.
24836_10150159282895012_597260011_11934957_6567994_n.jpg

Last time I used one of the Garnier intense reds, which looks like this
180425_10150366241925012_597260011_16702316_3664166_n.jpg

And before that I used Punky Color, which is the BEST ever, because it really doesn't seem to fade. 2 months later it still looked almost perfect. But their color swatches are terrible at showing you what the color will actually look like, and I ended up with something between deep scarlet and hot pink with Red Wine. Good thing I didn't care!
71883_10150278793095012_597260011_15126386_6566951_n.jpg

Puzzicato

One Too Many
In my 20s I spent a couple of years with coppery red hair - which I LOVED. My husband always said he wasn't a fan of red hair and wouldn't even have a ginger cat. But last weekend I discovered that you can still get L'oreal casting in Sienna, which was the shade I used to use.

hair.jpg
- believe me, it isn't really this vibrant!

And my husband's reaction? "Oh that's nice, but you could have gone redder". Where is that banging-head-against-a-brick-wall smiley?

I said "What about this?"
1.jpg
and he said "OK". And I am fairly sure he knows that it is just the hair I was talking about!

RainEdayWoman

Familiar Face
I am a natural redhead but I do like to spice it up a bit from time to time. A few days ago I decided to try one of Joico new xtreme Red. Cosmetologists will know what I mean when I say I am a natural lvl 8 red and darkened to a 5XR. I love the color it is so shiny and bold. The only way I can describe it is it looks the color of Merlot or blood. I will try and post more once I can get a shot in the sun. The weather as been really overcast and gloomy the last couple of days so have not been able to get a good photo in bright light.

Natural

Photo0085.jpg

Joico 5XR (lighting is a bit off casting a yellow in the photo)

Photo0094.jpg

Again (better lighting close up of bangs)

newcolor.jpg

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Are you a stylist? How is the Joico? I recently switched all my clients from Redken to Goldwell, but was also looking at Joico. I'm a similar natural color and my Goldwell formula is half 6RR, half 6RO. It looks like a similar shade to yours and stayed bright for about 3wks, but even the faded color is nice.

Elpinoine

New in Town
And my husband's reaction? "Oh that's nice, but you could have gone redder". Where is that banging-head-against-a-brick-wall smiley?

Like this one?
brick-wall-017.gif

I love the red on you!

After years of trying to color my hair the perfect shade of golden brown, I finally just decided to embrace the fact that my hair wanted to be red and tried coloring it that instead. I was amazed that I loved it. My father is a redhead, and I inheirited his pale skin, and greenish eyes. Red looks so much better on me than my natural mousy brown.

149987_1637011215869_1554391591_1539641_1010501_n_opt.jpg

I use Sally's brand Color Ion in the cream formula. For summer I use a 50/50 mix of light copper and light blonde. During the winter I usually use the medium shades of the same color. When my hair is a bit longer and I need to use 3 packages (I have really thick hair), I'll use two packages of red to one of the blonde. I really like the color ion brand. The color lasts, and my hair feels great afterwards. It ends up being much cheaper for me too in the long run. I buy a gallon jug of the developer when it's onsale and it lasts a long time.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
That's the one!

My hair is also mousy blonde/brown but I feel so much better when my hair is red! I can't believe I let him talk me out of it for so long. He really is a wonderful man but he knows nothing about a woman's relationship to her hair.

Elpinoine

New in Town
My hair used to be a great golden brown color, but as I've gotten older, in addition to the dreaded grays it just got so dark and drab looking. I love the red! Oddly enough my mother was the most opposed to the change, which is odd as she married a redhead. She's come to really like it now, and has told me not to change it.

RainEdayWoman

Familiar Face
Are you a stylist? How is the Joico? I recently switched all my clients from Redken to Goldwell, but was also looking at Joico. I'm a similar natural color and my Goldwell formula is half 6RR, half 6RO. It looks like a similar shade to yours and stayed bright for about 3wks, but even the faded color is nice.

Yes I am, 19 years experience. I am currently looking to find a new line of color. I was a die hard Logics user until they were bought out and the color line reformulated virtually breaking what was a perfect product. I then switched to Chi which I like to an extent but their reds are too brown based and do not last longer than a couple washings. I have been trying to find a perfect match to Logics 4R (in the old Logics line) Which was a deep red similar to Kate Winslet a la Titanic. Since reformulating their reds come out with a purple tinge and fade to a muted brownish red, very unflattering color at that. I have been hearing and reading a lot of complaints concerning the reformulations over the last couple years.

I have always known Joico to be an excellent line but until recently was not easy to get here without having it shipped. The supply house I use (Armstrong MaCall) just started carrying Joico so I decided to give it a try again. I am really pleased, the shine is incredible and leaves the hair feeling really smooth. Joico is true tone color line which I like. Check out their pro website they have downloadable educational material and charts. If you cant find it let me know I had to do some digging to find where they were on the site. So far I am really pleased with the results. I will prob have a better opinion after I wash a few times and can see how it fades over time. Once, I get bored with this bold red I will migrate back to one of the more natural coppery reds closer to my natural and an excited to see what I can achieve with it.

Here is a video of some of the xtreme reds being used on a couple models.
http://www.hairbrained.me/video/vero-kpak-color-video?xg_source=activity

Juliet

A-List Customer
I'm originally a dark blonde, and I'm using Lush's Caca Rouge (after a LOT of different hair dyes :) ).

Looks like this by daylight:

Note> I'm not strangling the cat - I'm just turning her to the camera. Anyone who knows me, knows it's more likely that the cat would be strangling me, or sitting on the top of my head, or doing whatever it pleases:D

Like this in the evening lightning - nearly brown: (sorry for the mess in the background, big repairs are underway!)

And TA-DA! When the sun is shining directly on it, it just goes up in flames:

Goldelfe

New in Town
1.Feb.2011

Please ignore the bathroom shoot, but the colour was so nice in that moment.
Would you guess that this isn't my natural haircolour? The turquoise of course not :p, but the red?

I colour my hair with demi-permanent/temporary foam-colour (hard to explain - do you have those anywhere else but in Germany?) in poppy-red and chestnut.
I need to use the brighter poppy colour on the lower layers since they don't take the colour as well as they should and use the chestnut on the top-layers since it darkens my haircolour a bit and evens everything out.

I now have this colour ... since december, recoloured maybe every six to eight weeks? (yesterday, before this in mid-January and... some weeks before christmas).
Since the colour isn't permanent it fades easily, but my hair likes red and until yesterday I had regrowth although it was still quite red.

At the moment the red is a bit more intense than it is shown in the picture, but I both like it freshly coloured as well as more faded.

I coloured my hair red a couple of times before, but had (and have) a quite colourful phase in the last two years.
I also used Garnier Movida in Coppergold twice but it vanished quickly.

So, you see, less permanent colours can be used on medium to light hair to change the colour without fearing damage or crazy outcomes.
I actually began this trip back to red hair because 1) I am envious of my boyfriend's red hair and 2) had some blonde+regrowth to hide after the summer ^^

But I would also be kind of interested in an actually permanent colour in this tone ;)

P.S. I'll try to make a picture with freshly dyed hair

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
Your hair color is BEAUTIFUL! I put blue-red streaks in my hair once (like blonde highlighting only in red) and my stylist used Joico. It was the most vibrant and gorgeous red I've ever used - not even comparable to out-of-a-box drugstore color. I found that it faded pretty quickly though, just like all red dyes, but I began adding a dab of manic panic (or any other vegetable-based temp dye) to my conditioner every few days to keep the color 'red' and not washed out. It really does extend the life of the color. Your hair is so pretty!

RainEdayWoman

Familiar Face
I very pleased with Joico thus far. From what I have heard they actually reformulated their line recently as well and the reviews are very positive across the board. I had had virtually no fading with this red which is a big deal since generally reds fade fast in any color line professional or not. It is just the nature of red pigment. Eventually, I plan to gradually go back to more natural warm red closer to my own. This one has been really fun but I am eager to test their other shades of red to see how they hold up.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ