Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A question for the red heads...

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
thebadmamajama said:
OFF TOPIC::

I'm a natural red...(i *know* how off-topic this is) but why why WHY do they put REDHEADS in bubblegum pink? It drives me crazy. Jewel tones, people. Jewel tones....

Rant=over.

Funny, I thought the same thing, when I first saw Pretty in Pink. The pink dress (she made) was just not good. lol

Red Diabla

One of the Regulars
thebadmamajama said:
OFF TOPIC::

I'm a natural red...(i *know* how off-topic this is) but why why WHY do they put REDHEADS in bubblegum pink? It drives me crazy. Jewel tones, people. Jewel tones....

Rant=over.

I hate pale pink. HATE HATE HATE. But it looks good on me. GRRRRRRR!:mad:

I do like how some of the color rules for redheads have changed...now you see redheads wearing red, and it can be quite striking.

RD

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I am properly colorblind, but I quite like that babypink dress with the cinnamon hair! Although the second girl, I agree, that color dress might not be the best one for her.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I agree, do not put redheads in pink! At all.

Darling, I think that with your blue eyes, the cinnamon color would be good. What I'm basing this on is that on me, with my brown-green eyes and neutral/coolish skin tone, a darker, cooler red looks best on me. This is an old photo, but I think this very dark wine red suited me well (as did a more vibrant wine red), while cinnamon didn't.

Maybe you could try http://www.taaz.com/ and see what it looks like?

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
Lareesie Ladavi said:
Funny, I thought the same thing, when I first saw Pretty in Pink. The pink dress (she made) was just not good. lol

I just couldn't understand why she cut up that gorgeous dress that Annie Potts gave her... Broke my heart!

I'm a red head and I wear pink on a regular basis. I think it's the shade of pink that is imporant-- you have to find one that goes well with both your skintone and your hair, and usually that means a very blue pink for me. I think that pastel is a good way to go, too. Sometimes pink and red look terrible together, which I've found through trial and error, but for the most part (especially with my complexion, I pull it off really well. I'll find some pictures...

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
My hair is red, (dyed), and I wear all shades of pink. As others have said, it depends on skin tone... and eye color and makeup.
I don't care for extremely pale pink, too close to my skin color, blah!

Darhling I suggest the second color. We have similar coloring, and the deeper works much better on me. I can do the lighter, but I always have to have full makeup on or I feel completely washed out. It's also much more upkeep going lighter and more coppery.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
ohairas said:
My hair is red, (dyed), and I wear all shades of pink. As others have said, it depends on skin tone... and eye color and makeup.
I don't care for extremely pale pink, too close to my skin color, blah!

Darhling I suggest the second color. We have similar coloring, and the deeper works much better on me. I can do the lighter, but I always have to have full makeup on or I feel completely washed out. It's also much more upkeep going lighter and more coppery.

I just thought of your hair actually! can I pursuade you to repost pics of your haircolors?

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Ok, these are all various reds.. depends on the stages, it's usually faded out because I'm lazy and don't feel like coloring it very often, lol!

2149996404_ffc586810b.jpg

620846791_352fa41ba4.jpg

955571644_0e7fd78db2.jpg

1408627290_db2c75b095.jpg

I can't remember which pics I had here before, but i found this one with me wearing pink.. tho my red is faded here.
1828447399_2da78d814b.jpg

2156673934_66e152c1f1.jpg

That was a crummy pic, but here's another from the same weekend. I think it's hard to photograph redhead unless under bright lights. Also, I refuse to use the 30 volume peroxide that I should to get a more vibrant shade at the roots.
2155831725_35b8f0e21e.jpg

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
*blush*, Thank you Darhling!
I just visited your blog and it is great! You are such a doll, I love your Mad Men outfits!

Is your dark hair your natural color, or do you dye it darker?

There is a girl at my work who has dark hair. She highlights it heavily just enough to bring up her natural color some, and then puts Redken Shades EQ
7C overtop of everything. It is gorgeous. Keeps the depth of the darkness, but has the fire of the copper. I could really see this on you, esp. if it's your first time approaching red.

I can get a pic of her maybe tomorrow if you like!
It's somewhat like my cousin's hair I did here, only not so solid red if that makes sense~
3320510901_133885253b.jpg

2882322397_25ed619a61.jpg

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Thank you sweetie!! I am not a natural brunette, I posted a few pics in the 'color coordination' thread, where you can see me as a normal blonde (although 7 years back) and now as a colored dark brunette..

Lillemor

One Too Many
Darhling, you look like you suit all natural hair colors. Go for it! If I could, I would go for them all. Maybe not all at once...maybe all at once.

ohairas, I've had streaks in something like that color. It was a beautiful contrast to my black hair underneath. I've also had my natural hair dyed blue black to add a more dramatic contrast to deep reds. Unfortunately, I suffer horribly with split ends if I dye my hair. I've had many shades of wine, plum, dark cherry and eggplant streaks.

Redheads in pink depends on so many things like so many other things in life. Complexion and shades of red hair that suits you in combination of the pink clothes and make-up that suits you.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
I've loved redheads in pink since childhood :)
L_3B_015-shortcake.jpg

I also love them in green, every blue-green shade that exists, blue, purple, red... in short, I love them!:p

I do agree it hurts to watch Molly cut up that sweet dress in Pretty in Pink! The horror!:eek:

Darhling, go for it!

Miss RM

Familiar Face
Hi girls!

Excuse my completely non-vintage and just-playing-around photos (also excuse the lab coat and goggle marks on my nose!), but I've just discovered that I look rather good as a redhead! I was fooling around using this site: http://www.taaz.com/index.html which I heard about on some other FL thread. My hair is currently dark brown (a few shades lighter than black), and I'm wondering if I could achieve the red in photo #2 (or something close) from a drug store bottle? I've never lightened, and always gone darker when dying at home. I know I should likely seek professional help, but I'll be a risk taker and try dying at home if anyone thinks it possible!

3468257561_795bde1bce.jpg

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Miss RM I definitely like the red on you!

However, if you have color on your hair now and/or your hair is dark, you will have to pre lighten it *somewhat* in order for the red to show up.
Unfortunately, you will not be able to achieve it in one step. Read what I wrote to Darhling in this thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112