Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A question of matching color of leathers (boots, jacket, belt, watch)

heboil

New in Town
Hi all. Still a new member here and wanted to ask a specific question with a broad undertone. My fashion sense is dictated by my long-standing love of watches (usually mil-type with a variety of leather and NATO straps). I have long been a proponent of brown strap, brown belt, brown shoes. However, I have a few black straps that I really love but I don't have any black boots that I wear. My blacks are relegated to my dress blacks, and I rarely wear them. I just happen to be a brown man. Add this to the fact that I have an A-2 jacket in brown on the way... where does that leave me? Black watch strap but brown leather jacket, belt and boots? Also, my jacket and boots and belt are not the same color... just the same family (brown).

The kicker here is that I am color blind (deficient to be more exact). I try to keep it simple so I don't stumble out looking like a clown. I have asked my wife about 1000 times, but I feel like I am getting the canned "you look fine" answer after 20 years.

Thanks!

One-stop fix for your problems:
http://www.toshi-straps.co.uk

I match my watches to my jackets as well as boots and belts *assuming I tuck in my shirt lol
Get a couple straps, and you can switch them up as needed, and it makes a watch feel new to just change the strap now and then.
There are other makers, but Rich @ Toshi is my man. Others here can vouch for his work.

heboil

New in Town
Oh, I have dozens of straps... I just like some of the black ones I have... but I have nothing really black to wear them with.

Edward

Bartender
There used to be this guy did some really cool traps made out of a useless old flying jacket.....

I kid! I KID! Stop hitting me!

:p

Seriously, though...I like to match my leathers, but it's certainly true that we in these parts notice things like that far more than is entirely normal. If you are comfortable mixing the black strap with otherwise brown clothes, go for it. It's certainly not going to be noticed by 99% of folks, and anyone who does pass negative remark to you on it can safely be dismissed as being a bit of an ass. JMO....

Matching leather items that were made seperately is near impossible so if you can get close you're doing well. Even the jacket makers that have large amounts of very similar leather dyed at the same time must pick through the lots to try to match pieces as best they can,it is part of the natural difference that occur in things that come from live animals. Plastic can be made to the same color specs easy enough.

Most people will accept that the browns will be well in the family not too devergent. However most people are not total nitpickers as the concept of dress and style is fading faster than a newspaper left in the desert.

Don't worry.

too much coffee

Practically Family
One-stop fix for your problems:
http://www.toshi-straps.co.uk

I match my watches to my jackets as well as boots and belts *assuming I tuck in my shirt lol
Get a couple straps, and you can switch them up as needed, and it makes a watch feel new to just change the strap now and then.
There are other makers, but Rich @ Toshi is my man. Others here can vouch for his work.

Yep, ButteMT61 is right. Rich @ Toshi Straps is phenominal. He has the patience of a Saint, the knowledge and ability of a true artisan and his leather watch straps are something to behold. I only have one but I can't begin to tell you how many compliments I have received about it. Rich has many leather colors and thread colors and will custom build a strap like no other. Not cheap but the best I've seen and they will last a long time.
A genuinely nice gentleman as well. I'd say he is the John Chapman of leather watch straps.

coffee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt