Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Rare Beauty: 7 3/8 Long Oval Stetson Open Road - 1950's

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
3 days left! (and it seems the auction's fate has been left up to the gods at bidnapper.)
I think its the Long Oval that does it. I noticed that regular size 7 3/8 is wanted alot more. I put up a similar hat on the lounge to sell that also was 7 3/8 Long Oval and did not even get one question about it.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
I think its the Long Oval that does it. I noticed that regular size 7 3/8 is wanted alot more. I put up a similar hat on the lounge to sell that also was 7 3/8 Long Oval and did not even get one question about it.

I would be all over that if I hadn't obliterated my hat budget in the last three days. I think it will fetch a fair value.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
I'd say silverbelly, but without a side by side comparison of dove gray, I'm not confident enough to say. It just doesn't look gray to me. It's warmer than that.

The brim is a shade over 2 3/4.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Well, Dang.

Thought I'd won this one when I did a refresh and saw the winning bid--it was lower than what I'd set my sniper for. But no, it wasn't me at all. The way things turned out my snipe was 22 cents below the $5 increment point. As usual, no idea whether or not the winning bid was the full amount the winner had set their sniper, so no idea as to whether or not I'd have won it if I'd made the next increment.

Oh, well... Congratulations on your sale, Randooch!

Cheers,
Tom

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Tango, and sorry it wasn't you! The whole snipe system seems inherently flawed to me, let alone in a case like yours, where some arbitrary increment system favors someone over another, all within microseconds. I must say, old-fashioned auctions seem more honest and satisfying. Ah well, the chap in Canada who won it should be pleased.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, Tango, and sorry it wasn't you! The whole snipe system seems inherently flawed to me, let alone in a case like yours, where some arbitrary increment system favors someone over another, all within microseconds. I must say, old-fashioned auctions seem more honest and satisfying. Ah well, the chap in Canada who won it should be pleased.

Oh, I like using a sniper for a few reasons. One is the "fire and forget" aspect of it. You could do the same by simply bidding your highest bid on ebay from the beginning, but then you have people who then bid in increments to see what your max is. Another is that I have Hughes.net as my internet provider. Hughes.net is very expensive and very bad--when they say "up to 1Mbps download speeds" the key words are "up to." I've had download speeds in the evenings that were no better than using dial-up (I use a bandwidth speed test to check.) And I don't get caught up in bidding wars.

In the end, though, we have no idea what the Canadian buyer's true max bid was, so I assume he would have gotten it at a slightly higher price. Would have been better for you, of course! :)

Cheers,
Tom

Congrats on the selling price, randooch. This is one of a few vintage hats I've seen sell of late for something more than bargain-basement prices. I don't know to take a few anecdotes as a sign that the economy (or at least the vintage hat market) is turning around, but I like to think it.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Tony! I wish to heck I could find one of that quality in my 7 1/2 LO size. Someday, perhaps.

Tom, hopefully you can find a better ISP soon. The sluggish speed would take the joy out of surfing for me. Just today I signed on with Charter, an unlimited land-line & 12 mbps package for 50 a month. That's 7 times faster than my current provider for 20% less cost. Crazy!

Ed13

Familiar Face
I am the Canadian who won the hat. My max bid was a bit higher than the winning price. I usually don't bid very high on ebay since there is always some risk in the item not being what you expect. For this hat a made an exception. I have a soft spot for Open Roads. My first fedora was a mid grey Open Road my grandfather left me when he passed. I have had the hat over 20 years and had it reblocked a couple of years ago and I figured another in cleaner condition would complement the first. Looking forward to my new hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy