Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Resurgance of the pocket square?

psugrad98

One of the Regulars
I've been watching TV lately, and seeing many many men wear pocket squares. From the folks on NFL Sunday, to national news readers, to my local news.

Is it me, or is there more folks wearing pocket squares?

Cliffnopus

One of the Regulars
I have always worn a pocket square, sometimes even without a jacket. I, as yet, haven't noticed any resurgence in pocket square wearing. I hope that more folks DO adopt the habit as it adds a touch of panache to any suit or sports jacket.

Cliff

Bugsy

One Too Many
The pocket silk is almost a trademark of mine. I always wear them and acquired a pretty impressive collection. Until recently, they were stored in boxes in drawers which made it difficult to select which one to wear. Then I came upon some CD storage boxes at The Container Store. They are perfect for cleanly storing the silks and allowing one see exactly which ones are where. BTW, this is just one of the four boxes I have.
Pocketsilksbox1.jpg

Pocketsilksbox2.jpg

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
^^You do seem to have cornered part of the market, Bugsy. Good way to store them, too.

I haven't seen a resurgence on media men, but then I don't watch television unless it's on in a restaurant or my barber's shop. Personally, I don't wear them often (I've only got four), because they seem a bit too much for most situations here in L.A.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Is it me, or is there more folks wearing pocket squares?
I too have seen more than I can ever remember seeing;on the tube and IRL.

I usually go with white linen for weekday and silks for evenings and weekends. My father had a thing for white linen handkerchiefs (one for show and one for blow) and always kept well stocked with a steady supply coming from his ancestral home in Ireland. When he passed we found over thirty boxes (a dozen per) tucked away in his wardrobe. In the five years since, I haven't even made it through one box.

Shoes407.jpg

RadioWave

One of the Regulars
In regards to formal attire, I'm somewhat of a minimalist that prefers solid colors over patterns, so I usually choose a square to match the color of my button-down.

Hap Hapablap

One of the Regulars
I don't think psugrad98 is talking about US wearing them. He is talking about the Ryan Seacrests of the world. And he is RIGHT. I am seeing every Joe Lunchpail with a stylist being unknowingly forced to wear one; from NFL commentators, to newscasters. I think we can thank Mad Men. I do see a lot of T.V. folds.

psugrad98

One of the Regulars
I don't think psugrad98 is talking about US wearing them. He is talking about the Ryan Seacrests of the world. And he is RIGHT. I am seeing every Joe Lunchpail with a stylist being unknowingly forced to wear one; from NFL commentators, to newscasters. I think we can thank Mad Men. I do see a lot of T.V. folds.

Exactly what I was talking about. I see even folks on my local news casts wearing them. From pretty puffy ones Jimmy Johnson wears on Fox NFL sunday, to CBS's folks; they all wear pocket squares.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
From what I have seen, a lot of men have started wearing pocket squares largely because they are not wearing ties, and it gives them a chance to have some fun, patterned silk. Maybe the trend extends beyond that.

filfoster

One Too Many
I like them and occasionally wear them for social occasions but at my workplace, a Midwestern superregional bank, there is a strong correlation between the size of the pocket hankie and the self -importance of the wearer. There is also an inverse ratio to the amount of real work performed.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
I hope that the pocket square makes a comeback I think they are a necessity to wearing any suit. To start a side topic I have seen many different opinions out there as to how to match a pocket square. I see where some base it off of shirt color and some base it off of the tie. I usually pick a color from my tie and match mine, how do you guys match em?

Torpedo

One Too Many
Here in Spain, I have noticed a resurgence of PSs, but only in its FAKE variety. I mean, those that consist of a square piece of cloth, sewn to the pocket, trying to pass for a real PS with a TV fold. Jackets and suits are sold with that gadget, which does not bear more than a passing resemblance to the real thing. I guess these contraptions are related to the Mad Men fad, and are, in fact, usually related to narrow lapel suits.
Genuine PSs are pretty rare in Spain, although it depends on geography too. They are more often seen (comparatively speaking) in Madrid, for instance; but rarely in Barcelona, where I live. Some TV people wear them, both the real and the fake varieties.
I do wear them almost always when I wear a jacket or suit (which is most of the days). For work, mostly white linen, or white cotton (maybe with subtle border lines and such), or plain, non-loud colours. I normally reserve silk, or more gaudy colours and patterns in the other materials, for off days.
I never use the TV fold myself; should ty it at some time. My favourite is the "Opera House" four peaks fold, but I use also other 4, 3, 2 or 1 point styles. For silks I prefer puff styles.

Last edited:

Dulouz

Familiar Face
I hope that the pocket square makes a comeback I think they are a necessity to wearing any suit. To start a side topic I have seen many different opinions out there as to how to match a pocket square. I see where some base it off of shirt color and some base it off of the tie. I usually pick a color from my tie and match mine, how do you guys match em?

I don't have a jacket that allows the use of a pocket square...yet.

However, I have read and checked inspiration blogs. I like the idea of using varying shades and complimentary colors. If you are wearing a white shirt with a blue tie, try a different shade of blue. Blue shirt with a blue tie, try a subtle orange tie.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Regarding the question about combining colours...
White is always correct.
If coloured, ideally it should harmonize with one of the tie's accents, although doing so with the tie's ground, or with the shirt, is acceptable too.
If patterned, follow the same guidelines, as per the PS's ground or main colour.
The usual "mix and match and combine" colour and pattern clothing guidelines apply, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner