Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A site full of USN & USMC flight jacket photos

AJCOBB

New in Town
The other night I stumbled across a website while doing a search for a place that sells M-421a reproduction summer flight jackets, which I've always wanted to add to my collection. It's a blogsite dedicated to USN & USMC pilots, their flight gear and jackets.Mainly focusing on the years 1930′s through the 1950′s. Tons of amazing photos of the jackets and how they fit , sizing etc in those years and how the pilots wore them. It's called Navy Pilot Overseas. Mainly focuses on M-421a's, M-422a's, M-444's and M-445a's. Also some other flight jackets I've never seen before. Check it out, some great photos of these jackets being worn by actual pilots (Butch O'Hare and Joe Kennedy among them). I saw how an M-421a should fit, I was going to get an XL but now I think I'll get an L. You can go through the monthly archives or search by categories.

http://navypilotoverseas.wordpress.com/

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
No Names

I just noticed something, a lot of the pilots and crew do not have any name tags on their leather jackets! Very interesting. I have passed up jackets with no name tags thinking they were civilian order!

ltedge

New in Town
I just noticed something, a lot of the pilots and crew do not have any name tags on their leather jackets! Very interesting. I have passed up jackets with no name tags thinking they were civilian order!

In the Navy at lease, nametags on the leather jackets is and has always been purely a personal choice. I didn't have a nametag on my G-1 jacket for a couple of years after flight school. Some guys just don't like the idea of sewing patches onto their leather jackets. There are plenty of authentic flight jackets out there that won't have any patches sewn on so don't use that criteria to determine gov't issue vs. civilian aftermarket.

chamboid

One of the Regulars
It is a great web site that, I stumbled across it look for original photos of M-422a, and found this treasure-trove of fantastic photographs. There is a atmosphere
created by them isn't there, real 'fly on the wall' in some and characterful portraits in some others.

I have recently bought a M-422a G&F with a USN tag but R.N.V.R (ROYAL NAVY VOLUNTEER RESERVE) enlistment? waiting for some history from the guy i bought it off about his frieds father to see how he came across it.

Beautiful jacket though, and still has the cutter card tag in the left pocket

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany