Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A STORY IN THE KEY OF COOL

Naama

Practically Family
AH! I envy all you americans! I bet it'll take some month before it will be in cinemas over here :( I wanna see it!

Naama

Girl Friday

Practically Family
Someone was talking about this movie the other day, something about they hoped it wasn't like Moulin Rouge...period film with modern music...
I say who cares, as long as the clothes and the dancing are period.
My boyfriend thinks swing is making a comeback...I sure hope so! And if this movies helps it along I hope it is a huge success! Anything that will encourage kids (oye! this is going to make me sound like an old fogy) to wear clothes that fit, and keep their underpants to themselves!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Lena_Horne said:
This still alone makes my mouth water. . . .We used to be a rather splendid bunch.

1938:

Helen_Levitt_New_York_582_67.jpg

Untitled, New York, Helen Levitt

L_H

I too love that first still of the two boys, but I could do without the 'gangsta' poses the boys are workin (badly I might add). The clothes evoke enough 'tude for them. I just hope the movie dosent lace that type of persona throughout. That would suck.

This pic above is splendid!

LD

texasgirl

One Too Many
People magazine 8/28/06

The new People reviews the soundtrack and gives it 3 1/2 stars out of four. "They ingeniously incorporate period sounds-a bit of blues here, a touch of jazz there-throughout Idlewild...Who else would think of doing a Cab Calloway style call-and-response in a rap song?"

Lena_Horne

One of the Regulars
Lady Day said:
I too love that first still of the two boys, but I could do without the 'gangsta' poses the boys are workin (badly I might add). The clothes evoke enough 'tude for them. I just hope the movie dosent lace that type of persona throughout. That would suck.

This pic above is splendid!

LD

Why thank you. And yes, their poses are quite unnatural for a time period when most boys were still just that, boys. Not really gangster wanna-bes, at least not as they are now.

I loved this one as well, though it's about twelve years later:

Yasuhiro_Ishimoto_Untitled_Chicago_.jpg

Halloween, Chicago, Yasuhiro Ishimoto, ca. 1950-51

The boy (second from the top) is a spitting image for my younger cousin. At least from this angle.:)

L_H

maisie

Practically Family
I just looked and found out this film isn't released in the UK till the 8th of September!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot