Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A summer wear quandary

MikeR

New in Town
Being a person of somewhat dark complexion who is drawn toward traditionally Autumn colors and styles, who has mostly been in either academia without much need for summer wear beyond lounging around the house, or else in extremely traditional fields where dark wool suits are a must year-round, I have been very negligent in my summer wardrobe. I have a couple sport coats that I usually break out when needed in the summer, plus an olive suit that is a slightly lighter wool.

I have a big event coming up this summer in my new boss's ordination, which will be taking place in mid-afternoon in an old arena that is not known for cooling well, especially with 8,000 people in it. Now, if this were in the evening, or even just in a church that has a good A/C, I'd probably break out the blue pinstripes anyway. But given that I've a propensity to sweat, I feel like I finally need to break out and get a true summer suit.

I've thought about seersucker (tan/white), but am afraid that might be a) a bit too casual, and b) a bit too attention-drawing (it's the southern Midwest - people ask me if I'm going to a funeral practically any time I'm wearing a tie). I'm trying to think outside the box a little here, but don't want to go TOO far afield (and also don't want to break the bank). So, what suggestions would you have?

Thanks!

WolfeMan

One of the Regulars
If you don't want to do seersucker, you could find a nice linen suit. They can come in greys and black and blues, but its not a heavy wool suit.
Hope you figure it out,
Wolfe

WH1

Practically Family
I think the tan/white seersucker would be fine if you wear it with a relatively conservative tie/shirt and shoe combination. I find my seersuckers to be most comfortable in the summer, I have 3.
There is always the more traditional business option of a tan poplin suit of conservative cut with a brown calfskin shoe, white linen pocket square and a nice tie. Brooks Brothers or Jos A Banks have them available right now for less than $400. Look through some of the apparel arts images posted in this section of the forum there are some very classic looks which will probably help your decision.

SgtRick

One of the Regulars
If you don't want to do seersucker, you could find a nice linen suit. They can come in greys and black and blues, but its not a heavy wool suit.
Hope you figure it out,
Wolfe

Being a suit wearer year round I have to agree with WolfeMan on this. Linen is the way to go. It is light, airy, and very comfortable. Top it off with a nice Panama and your in business.

Canadian

One of the Regulars
If you're worried about not being taken as being respectful, I suggest a linen suit in navy blue or light grey. If you want it, go for seersucker.

Thomas

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
4975694821_d0c8149a85.jpg

I agree a linen suit in a cool grey tone with a crisp white shirt has been my Summer Choice for semi formal occasions, I wore it a few weeks ago to a wedding

4978530533_97729635de.jpg

Of course you may choose to loose the Pith Helmet

Last edited:

MikeR

New in Town
Haven't had much luck with plaids or lighter grays in the past, but I'll keep them in mind.

Jos. A. Bank was 70% off for a day this week, so I went ahead and ordered a linen and a seersucker if only to see how they look and return them if I don't like them. My price point is fairly low; if I'm going to spend much on a suit at this point I'll want to spend it on a year-rounder. Unfortunately, thrift stores in the area are not very helpful, at least in my size. Too blue-collar an area, I guess.

MikeR

New in Town
Here they are. I'll need some new shirt and tie combos, as nothing I have presently really looks quite right, but good enough to get an idea of how they'll look. If I decide to keep the seersucker, I'll have to exchange it, as they sent me plain-front pants instead of pleated, and I'll also probably try it in 3-button as the 2-button one just doesn't quite sit right.

Another question: has anyone ever had or seen a dark navy seersucker like seen here?

Seersucker:
IMAG0268.jpg

Linen:
IMAG0275.jpg

n.b. The hat is a PanamaBob ebay cheapo.

Last edited:

WH1

Practically Family
I like the seersucker on you but I have always been a fan of the tan/white combination, more so than the linen which to me always kind of looks like a bowl of oatmeal if you don't use some color in the shirt, tie and square to liven it up.

MikeR

New in Town
Thank you all! In the end, I decided to keep both suits, as it turns out that I'm going to have several opportunities to wear them in pretty quick succession. I'm planning on the seersucker for the big event (at which I'll be working on set-up and probably shuttling around a lot) and linen for another event the evening before.

Next question, though: I know that white bucks are standard for seersucker, but I don't really want to make that kind of a purchase for a pair of shoes that I would likely only wear with just that suit (plus I could use a new pair of shoes in the brown spectrum). I've looked around for saddle shoes but haven't really found any and it's too late to order anything. What else would work well for both suits as well as more casual wear? A sand- or cream-colored nubuck?

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Brown suede brogues? Casual enough yet appropriate for either suit (unless there is a rule saying brogues cannot be worn with seersucker) and overall a very versatile shoe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany