Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A teeny thing 'counter-vintage' about you?

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
funneman said:
...what, no Ultraman?
ultramanh1024x768yr3.jpg

Since you asked...:D

Steve

Practically Family
There's a lot about me that's non-vintage, mainly the way I sweat. It is simply impossible for me to get by in vintage-style clothes because of the heat in my home state of Florida. I can be outside for only a couple of minutes and look like I've just left a track meet, so I have to settle for shorts and T-shirts most of the year. And unfortunately, I've taken to wearing flip-flops. :eek:

Other than that, I enjoy modern music and martial arts films.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh yeh...

I've got a big Beatlemania thing goin' on! Had it for forty years. I love all that psychedelia and 60's pop. It's tough - it's schizophrenic - my vintage side is constantly reprimanding me like an old dad, but my psychedelic side is in incessant rebellion like an aging rock star.

-dixon cannon

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
lol
There is a cafe in my building that some friends and I are tying to buy. It was sold by a friend of ours, but hte new owner dont know nothing' bout runnin no cafe. Its a total underdog story. Well keep you posted.

LD

Oh! Please do! I'll stop by and become a 'familiar face' there too!

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Great thread - well I for one had assumed when I found this board that most folks here into the clothes and all would be "strictly" vintage; good to see there's folks who appreciate both old And new. Certainly not feeling as "different" here at the lounge for only having one vintage aspect to my life, music & movies (no vintage clothes, hat, car... YET).

Though, I still don't hesitate to say, if I could flip a switch and walk into the imaginary 40s Capra world in the movie "Its a Wonderful Life" with friends & family, and find myself a Donna Reed, I'll bet you wouldn't see me 'round here any more :)

Rosie said:
That Green Day album is OFF THE CHAIN!!!!! (see, non-vintage speak right there) I don't have a record player anymore but I totally want that!

lol Check this out: a "picture disc" 45 by the psychadelic indie rock band "The Flaming Lips"

temp_newjuke45s3.jpg

Got their "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots" CD; soon decided its Too trippy for me (and that the young lady who suggested it is nice but probably a Maaajor pot smoker lol :beer: ) but the wierd catchy title track is Great to sing along with in the jukebox (that's little Yoshimi about to do battle...)

Mike in Seattle said:
Hmmm...when it comes to non-vintage things in life, I would have to admit I love my iPod Nano (but it is all loaded with Dean Mora & Glenn Miller & Benny Goodman among others... personally, I think iTunes is wonderful. ...pay 99 cents and it's playing on your computer in seconds.
Yes, and yes.

Sefton said:
...I have a large collection of videos of 1970s Japanese Hero television shows. Goofy...wacky... and just downright silly fun!
lol lol lol man those pics look Great! ever watched Mystery Science Theatre 3000?

Dixon Cannon said:
I've got a big Beatlemania thing goin' on! Had it for forty years. I love all that psychedelia and 60's pop...
There's a fair amount of reemergence of that psychadelic sound (see Flaming Lips above)...

Listen to "The Shins"? Very Beatles-influenced. Maybe you've heard one of their more popular songs "New Slang". Didn't like them at first (only indie band I really took to at first was DCfC) but man they're Really growing on me.

Just recently started checking out Rock music (previously the only Rock I listened to was Hendrix; otherwise, just a mix of contemporary r&b / rap as a kid, then 1930s-40s swing & jazz high school & beyond). Checking out Beatles too, not terribly into all their stuff but really like "Elanor Rigby" & a few others (did you know Parlophone made a few incredibly rare 1960s 78 rpm Beatles pressings for sale in India where many avid Beatles fans had no electricity and only wind-up grammophones?!)

And while we're on the music thing... any Weezer fans, and what's your favorite album? (blue)

temp_newjuke45s4.jpg
temp_newjuke45s5.jpg

Swing High,
- Cousin Hepcat

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Cousin Hepcat said:
Listen to "The Shins"?
- Cousin Hepcat

Oh The Shins are, as Rosie would say, off the chain! Love them. I burned myself out on them tho, Listening to all their albums for two years straight. Same with Cake. Love love love cake, and they do a mean version of Barry White's 'Never gonna give you up' ;)

Right now Im rockin out to Gusters new album. Good good stuff.

LD

Ahh, Mr. White, you are missed

G. Fink-Nottle

One of the Regulars
I've always loved Power Pop, from the Beatles/Kinks/Who to the Knack/Shoes/Records to modern Power Pop acts like the Posies and Fountains of Wayne.

I'm a sucker for the sound of a Rickenbacker 12-string.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
fortworthgal said:
I never wear them to work, out to dinner, and I certainly wouldn't wear them to meet the President, but for grocery shopping, running errands, etc. - sure. And I always coordinate them with the rest of my outfit. :D
Same here, and then to take the dog outside to potty or work in the garage.
I admit that once (about 2 years ago), I bought these really cute Care Bear flip flops and wore them with a denim skirt to church. Although my church is very casual, it just felt wrong, but I love these flip flops, along with my Strawberry Shortcake ones.

Paisley said:
If anyone is looking for a flip-flop alternative, may I suggest Clarks sandals.
Oh I have some Clark mule loafers that are uber comfy. I bet the sandals would feel great on the feet too. Try EuroStep shoes, they are comfy like Clarks.

Rosie said:
You crack whips? That is soooo cool. I think I might want to learn to do that.
Yes, ma'am. Come out to the Queen Mary, and I can teach ya how.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Okay, not for nothin Cousin . . .

But Hepcat, your pics of the records and the players that you keep posting are absolutely charming! Bright colors, nice compositions . . . maybe you should think about print photography.

Uh on, hope I didnt overload your brain.

LD

Rosie

One Too Many
Cousin Hepcat said:
lol Check this out: a "picture disc" 45 by the psychadelic indie rock band "The Flaming Lips"

temp_newjuke45s3.jpg

Got their "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots" CD; soon decided its Too trippy for me (and that the young lady who suggested it is nice but probably a Maaajor pot smoker lol :beer: ) but the wierd catchy title track is Great to sing along with in the jukebox (that's little Yoshimi about to do battle...)

- Cousin Hepcat

Oh, I REALLY like the Flaming Lips! Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots was playing as I cleaned my house today. How trippy is that? lol I love that album. I've never seen records like these. You're going to make me start collecting albums like that then between the fabrics, clothes, compacts and everything else, I really won't have an money.

It is a bit weird but these are the same guys who sang about a girl using vaseline on her toast. Still to this day have no idea what that's about. But it sure is catchy. lol

I like older Weezer, like mid 90's when they came out with Buddy Holly (whatever album that was on). Now, I'm into or trying to be into so many things that its hard to play catch up. I'm trying to cram like 80 years worth of music, movies, sew, paint, draw, bake, garden, change or advance my career, play dress up, date and everything. It's quite a challenge.

Sorry for going off topic.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Crosley Radios call some of their stuff "new-stalgia," which I think describes my attitude pretty well. I like the style of the vintage stuff, but I like the functionality of the new stuff! I like my Pottery Barn phone that replicates the look of a vintage phone, but still has redial. I also want my stereo to look like a piece of furniture, not a mass of flashing, pulsing lights, but I also want to be able to put in a few CDs and hit random.

otterhound

One of the Regulars
The only thing on my mind at the moment is central air conditioning. I tell you, it must have been hell living here in Dallas before air conditioning.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
My counter vintage is the 70's and 80's music I grew up listening to and still listen to incessantly:
X, The Saints, The Clash, Wire, Blitz, Black Flag, The Heartbreakers, Voidoids...I'll never shake it.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Rosie said:
It is a bit weird but these are the same guys who sang about a girl using vaseline on her toast. Still to this day have no idea what that's about. But it sure is catchy. lol Sorry for going off topic.

Ben Folds (one of the greates geek rockers of all time! :D ) did a version of 'She dont use Jelly'. Its a great tune.

LD

Novella

Practically Family
Cousin Hepcat said:
Certainly not feeling as "different" here at the lounge for only having one vintage aspect to my life, music & movies (no vintage clothes, hat, car... YET).

I feel the same way! (And you've got excellent taste in music: Weezer, Snow Patrol, Green Day, the Shins, etc.)

I'm waiting to get through with school and moving around before I start buying things outside of paper stuff (small, they travel well for the most part and also tend to fit my budget) and old movies and music in the new form of DVDs, CDs, and music downloads.

I love low rise jeans(*not* superlow though) and flip flops. Not counting technology (computers, DVD players, iPods) they are the only thing that stand between me and the possibility of going hardcore vintage in the future.

Feraud

Bartender
my dark secret....

..my teeny counter vintage achilles heel...my son. lol
My 12 year old is firmly entrenched in the new millennium. :)
Ah shucks, we love him anyway.

just joking D-

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Lady Day said:
Same with Cake. Love love love cake, and they do a mean version of Barry White's 'Never gonna give you up' ;)

I LOVE CAKE. There, I said it. They are fabu-tastic!

otterhound said:
The only thing on my mind at the moment is central air conditioning. I tell you, it must have been hell living here in Dallas before air conditioning.

Growing up in this area, we didn't have air conditioning in our home. We had a "swamp cooler" - an evaporative cooler. It worked okay and I never remember sweltering, but boy am I glad we have central a/c on these 106 degree days!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff