Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A treasure restored...

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It appears to be all there so restoration will be less troublesome than it would with the need to hunt for pieces.

There are lots or original, unmolested cars out there at very reasonable prices to be had.

One thing to keep in mind if you contemplate restoring a car is its ultimate value. Today with labor as high as it is one is beter off seeking a finished car as it will be far less expensive in the long run than restoring one which needs everything. Too many people sink more into a car than it is worth. This is partly due to the fact that most folks can't do all the work themselves.

Many have the money and disregard the problem with putting $30,000 into a car that will be worth $20,000 in showroom condition. They do it because they want to.

A car has to be fairly rare to be worth a complete restoration these days from "barn-stored" condition.

MissHuff

A-List Customer
Twitch said:
One thing to keep in mind if you contemplate restoring a car is its ultimate value. Today with labor as high as it is one is beter off seeking a finished car as it will be far less expensive in the long run than restoring one which needs everything. Too many people sink more into a car than it is worth. This is partly due to the fact that most folks can't do all the work themselves.

The charm and draw of restoring a car, IMHO, is the love you can put into it yourself and the stories you have to tell for many years after.

Twitch said:
A car has to be fairly rare to be worth a complete restoration these days from "barn-stored" condition.

Definitely true. I've seen many a project abandoned midway because the cost and labor were outweighing the result regardless of age.

gpwpat

Familiar Face
Getting ready to start a restoration like this myself. My great grandfathers 1937 plymouth pickup is still in the family. It is at my parents and hasn't run for 20 years. But it ran when last parked. so I am hoping it wont be much to get it going again.

man what great lines. I would love to get a car like that for my daily driver. maybe one with a bad engine and put a modern engine in it. Argh did I say that. I cant stand modern engines in classics. but if it was a daily driver I put 25K on a car a year and would need to keep up with modern speeds as well.

Twitch

There is nothing wrong with putting modern running gear in cars yous actually desire to drive more than just around your home area. The main thing is you gotta get modern brakes. Way too many cars are destined to put around the block at 30 MPH beacuse they can't go and stop with modern traffic.

Keeping it stock on the outside is cool and better than chopping it up for a hot rod. But do consider making yourself safe if you choose to use any old machine extensively by updating brakes at least.

Jay

Practically Family
Wow. Just a wash and it looked a hell of a lot better. I gotta remember to do that when I sell my Trans Am. (Unless of course it just falls apart before I get a chance to...)

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Twitch said:
There is nothing wrong with putting modern running gear in cars yous actually desire to drive more than just around your home area. The main thing is you gotta get modern brakes. Way too many cars are destined to put around the block at 30 MPH beacuse they can't go and stop with modern traffic.

Keeping it stock on the outside is cool and better than chopping it up for a hot rod. But do consider making yourself safe if you choose to use any old machine extensively by updating brakes at least.

I'd love a 1937-40 ford with original paint (some ambiguous dark color, you know how old car paint gets) and all the dings and everything, but with a modern drivetrain, so I could drive it daily, and have it look cool, but without screaming "Restored/Rodded!"

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Regarding the "modern drive train" point: I must say I have absolutely no problem keeping up with modern trafic in my '41 Buick. It is completely original. A straight 8 will pack a lot of firepower! I do have drum brakes and I personally find them no problem, once you get used to them - at least you know you're breaking because you can feel it.

In any event I normally do just city driving; driving on a motorway would be a different story, the flow is much faster.

I think driving an older car forces you to pay much more attention and be more prudent. You will always have some idiot who behaves erratically just because he has just seen a classic! :rolleyes:

BrianBuickDalkeyJuly06010.jpg

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Mullholland Falls

I have just finished watching this movie again.

What type of automobile do Nick Nolte and the boys (the squad) tool around in in this movie? It is awesome - an Olds convertible?

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Buick Roadster

Mate - thanks for that and the handy pic. What I love is the length and the way it hugs the road - even the desert road - but the proportions on such a long car look so right...Interesting use of the Aussie waterbag they carry attached to the front decal/emblem on the bonnet in the desert trip.

Can you purchase such a car in the USof A or are they too old to get registered for daily use...eg modern day seat belt requirements etc?

Tony in Tarzana

It's a canvas bag which is filled with water. A small amount of water seeps through the canvas and evaporates, the evaporation cools the water in the bag. It only works when the humidity is low. Hanging it over the front of the car provides air flow over it to aid in cooling.

I haven't seen them in the USA since the 1960s, but I'd see them in stores where they were called the "Desert Water Bag."

cookie

I'll Lock Up
The Squad

Thanks to Tony T for confirming my suspicions. My memory of drinking from the suckers (on my uncle's farm) was that they had a strange country taste but that may have been the tank water!

The real question is why they had it on the car. Was it a touch of authenticity for the keen eyed Aussies? Or was it simply that the number of takes required a constant source of drinking water?

My memory of them is that they were not 'muy elegante' to drink from especially when wearing those great 40s suits that the guys are all wearing in the movie.

Don't you love the 3 piece wool suits in the desert and no sign of a massive sweat buildup ?

Dry air maybe?

And the fact that inside the buildings the hats stay on. Is not that bad etiquette even in the 1949 version of LAPD?

Final question.... how many dorries did Nick Nolte smoke in the movie?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn