Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A veteran's sad end

carter

I'll Lock Up
What a heart-breaking story. It's one we all need to remember. Far too many young men and women went undiagnosed and untreated in the wake of WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam and other conflicts. For some, like Mr. Kielich, their war only ended with their passing away. For their families, who expected the person they knew to come home, the tragedy was there every day, hoping to see their loved one whole but never having that hope fulfilled.

As sad as this is, there is comfort in knowing that Mr. Kielich is no longer tormented by his experiences during WWII.

May he Rest In Peace.

B. F. Socaspi

One of the Regulars
That hit home.

My family has a lot of sad stories with WWII, no happy ones. My paternal great uncle was the only survivor when his ship was bombed. He became a drunk. My maternal great uncle fought from D-Day (not Omaha, I forget which landing) through the Pacific theater. One fateful day, after the Japanese were no longer an issue and the unit was simply patrolling, a leftover mine was triggered and everyone around him was killed horribly. Men he had served with all that time. He barely survived, the only one. He never would speak a word again in his life. My paternal great grandfather was 33 with 4 kids and a wife when he was drafted. He was sent BEFORE the front lines, in one of the most dangerous assignments. His was to find and disable mines while under heavy enemy fire. He never spoke of the war until he was dying, when he told my father how much he regretted it. He was German, and he often had to kill people that looked like him and spoke his language hand-to-hand.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
May he rest in Peace. That is a sad story, and one that is unfortunately not uncommon for Veterans. The affects of war on the human psyche are truly irreversible.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
carter said:
What a heart-breaking story. It's one we all need to remember. Far too many young men and women went undiagnosed and untreated in the wake of WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam and other conflicts. For some, like Mr. Kielich, their war only ended with their passing away. For their families, who expected the person they knew to come home, the tragedy was there every day, hoping to see their loved one whole but never having that hope fulfilled.

As sad as this is, there is comfort in knowing that Mr. Kielich is no longer tormented by his experiences during WWII.

May he Rest In Peace.
Carter, you summed up my feelings exactly.
May he rest in peace.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara