Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A word to men who wear high boots

Edward

Bartender
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Yeah knee high Docs were punk rock. I wonder which boots this guy means? I've never really seen a dude wear knee high boots that weren't a) functional or b) punk or goth.

And I live in NY and I see it all...

Over here, back in the early 80s, that sort of knee-high boot, especially in cherry red, was the preserve of the 'boot-boy' skinhead - a tough breed who had a reputation for being ready to kick your head in soon as look at you. Many of them were decent people, although a lot of that movement was also taken over by racism and National Front types. Now, a quarter of a century later, you follow a guy dressed like that through the streets of London and nine times out of ten he'll lead you into a gay bar sooner or later. Vive la differance!

Never been a big fan of boots much higher than calf-lenth, myself - too much hassle to pull on / off. I do rather fancy a pair of turn of the century big game hunter / explorer's boots one day, though.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I hate to disappoint Lizzie, but Superman's M1934 Boots, Jumping, Non-Flying, looked like this:
s-1934.jpg

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Leather boots are still in style for manly footwear;
Beads and Roman sandals won't be seen.
Football's still the roughest thing on campus,
And the kids here still respect the college dean.
(Merle Haggard)
Firmly in-touch with my inner bumpkin.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Yes they do.

One of the few apparel-related disturbing experiences I've had came a few weeks ago as I came out of a store. I was wearing Patton boots like those above. Four late-teen early-20's boys all in black with draggy butt pants (conformists), were passing by at the same time. One of them said "How are you sir?" and I replied "fine, thanks," and went about my day. But as an unfriendly observer (and gifter of the boots) delighted in telling me with a smirk a few minutes later, as they walked away one of them mumbled "boot fag."
Which made me wish I had heard them (trick ear), so that I could have driven the toe of one of the boots up into their pancreas.

just_me

Practically Family
scotrace said:
Yes they do.
Not if you're wearing them to actually ride, as he was above. Come to the Winter Equestrian Festival in Wellington FL every winter and you'll see hundreds of men wearing riding boots. Normal attire when you ride. lol

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
m_24d5cba4feed420f9fd960269e93a4fb.jpg

Patton, Ronald Reagan, and Lone Ranger. They can't all be wrong.

Of course, there is a 17 hand white Trakehner that goes with the boots. Due to the muddy field conditions, she refused to be photographed that day. Maybe when the weather gets better?

just_me

Practically Family
White. Oy! Hopefully, the lady will be more disposed to have her photo taken on another day. I'd love to see her. What do you, your knee-high boots, and Ms. Trakehner do (dressage, jumping, trail, etc.)?

draws

Practically Family
OK, I'm re-posting since riding boots are being considered. I'm wearing a pair of Ariat Challenger Field Boots (size 10 1/2)
2084598470104326402S600x600Q85.jpg

just_me

Practically Family
Draw - that is a great picture and I don't think you should have removed it earlier in the thread because it is such a good picture.

I don't think riding boots should be considered in the same class as the knee-high boots being discussed in the blog that was posted by the original poster. People who wear riding boots to ride, are not in the same class as someone who's wearing field boots down Madison Avenue because he thinks he's too cool for school. lol

B. F. Socaspi

One of the Regulars
Edward said:
Over here, back in the early 80s, that sort of knee-high boot, especially in cherry red, was the preserve of the 'boot-boy' skinhead - a tough breed who had a reputation for being ready to kick your head in soon as look at you. Many of them were decent people, although a lot of that movement was also taken over by racism and National Front types. Now, a quarter of a century later, you follow a guy dressed like that through the streets of London and nine times out of ten he'll lead you into a gay bar sooner or later. Vive la differance!

Never been a big fan of boots much higher than calf-lenth, myself - too much hassle to pull on / off. I do rather fancy a pair of turn of the century big game hunter / explorer's boots one day, though.

Yeah, oxblood boots are still a big skin thing. Punks usually go for shorter, black ones. And the majority of skinheads, at least in Philly, are not racist or for that matter gay. They usually are the most pro-active against racism and homophobia, though. Good lot of people if you can get around their pack mentality.

dschonn

Familiar Face
I have a pair of black riding boots that I bought on impulse in Hungary outside Budapest. I tend not to wear them very often, and when I do, usually my trouser legs obscure their height, which is just higher than the widest part of my calf. But I really need to take better care of them, as I believe the leather is drying out and cracking a little where my toes bend.

Right now I'm wearing them with outrageously exaggerated Turkish style trousers tucked into the tops. The trousers are so long and wide that they blouse over nearly to my ankles, which tends to hide how high the boots really are. It's really more of a costume than actual clothing. I'll change when I decide to go outside.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
just_me said:
I don't think riding boots should be considered in the same class as the knee-high boots being discussed in the blog that was posted by the original poster. People who wear riding boots to ride, are not in the same class as someone who's wearing field boots down Madison Avenue because he thinks he's too cool for school. lol
How about wearing them just for the hell of it? Or because it's not quite acceptable?

Never mind style. At what point does it cross over into poor etiquette for a man, when it wouldn't be for a woman?

Edward

Bartender
B. F. Socaspi said:
Yeah, oxblood boots are still a big skin thing. Punks usually go for shorter, black ones. And the majority of skinheads, at least in Philly, are not racist or for that matter gay. They usually are the most pro-active against racism and homophobia, though. Good lot of people if you can get around their pack mentality.

It was unfortunate how the movemnt, or at least the public perception thereof, was hijacked by the far right in England in the early 80s. Similar, I guess, to the problems caused by racist elements within the Teddy Boy movement, if more pronounced. This is England dealt with the subtleties really well, i think.

Re being proactive against prejudice, I think that is often one of the spin-offs of a group being stereotyped in a negative manner: those who don't fit the stereotype will often be motivated to actively reject it (there's probably a whole :eek:fftopic: thesis in this! ;) ).

just_me

Practically Family
Fletch said:
How about wearing them just for the hell of it? Or because it's not quite acceptable?

Never mind style. At what point does it cross over into poor etiquette for a man, when it wouldn't be for a woman?
From my point of view, I really don't care whether men or women wear high boots (it was the original article's writer that had the problem).

From a rider's point of view, I find it funny (and maybe a little pretentious) when nonriders (men or women, though usually women more than men) wear tall riding boots as a fashion accessory. Ralph Lauren often uses riding attire as street fashion.

In general, though, women have more leeway when it comes to fashion that do men. No big deal to see a woman walking down the street in pants and high boots, but a man walking down the street in a dress and the same high boots might cause some turned heads. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot