Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A word to men who wear high boots

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Mike K. said:
I think it's safe to say that the bonehead who wrote that article will never step foot in Texas, or the proud Aggies will turn him into barbeque!
aggie3.jpg
tam14.jpg
A proud tradition, but also part of the problem. Hypermasculine, authoritarian group commanding cult-like loyalty?

disclaimer: I go to a rival Big XII school where we tell Aggie jokes, few of them repeatable here.

Tophat Dan

New in Town
Stompers!

I have a pair of big, black, shiny, knee-high boots I got from a company called Coon River Mercantile about eight years ago. At the time, I worked in a shoe repair shop, so I added an extra leather halfsole and heel to them, then installed clinch nails, hobnails and horseshoe heel plates. I still wear them every once in a while. When not wearing them, I leave them by the front door to frighten burglars.

A quick look at their website shows that Coon River does not appear to currently make the boots anymore, but they look exactly like their "cavalry boot" without the raised part in front.

Dan Peterson

Sepe

New in Town
MPicciotto said:
Is that Russian-Afghanistan war reenacting/living history?

Matt

Yep, or something between re-enacting and airsoft to be more precise. Era being around 1988 or so, at the very end of the Afghanistan War (and Soviet Union, for that matter). I'll use any excuse, inlcuding stupid boot rants, to post pictures of that.

David Ward

Familiar Face
I've got to admit, chums, I'm surprised that there's not more affection for the ol' cavalry boots on this board! Perhaps it's just me being part of the Star Wars generation...

HelloHanSolo.jpg

der schneider

One of the Regulars
you have to wear the appropriate pants with the boots

and if they lace up please lace them all the way up and tie them properly!!!

I hate the loose and untied look on shoes as much as the low rider ghetto look on pants

draws

Practically Family
der schneider said:
you have to wear the appropriate pants with the boots

and if they lace up please lace them all the way up and tie them properly!!!

I hate the loose and untied look on shoes as much as the low rider ghetto look on pants

I agree. However, if you are wearing the tall knee high lace-ups, you should then wear breeches or tight fitting pants below the knees to get the proper look. Not many guys are willing to wear them but that is the only way the boots will look proper when fully laced. It's not a bad look especially for the outdoors hiking or working in the woods.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
gender crisis.

I think its funny that the blogger takes issue with thename Sasha as well.
In the USA, Sasha is predominantly thouight of as a female name , but in Eastern Europe its very much a unisex name. Maybe even more often masculine than not, depending on the country.

This all reminds me of the type of joke that you'd hear in the late 60s or `70s...when ArchieBunker would grumble about Boys with long hair & girls wearing pants.

We've come a long way, baby.

1581114901_e561e7a6df_m.jpg

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
I recall in the `90s, David Bowie was trying to butch up his image to get more movie roles. He had been blocked from a movie role as Sinatra. Frank didnt like Bowie's effeminate demeanor or androgynous fashions.
Anyway, Bowie tried to assure the interviewer that he hadnt really run around in dresses , a terrible misconception from some costumes he had worn to perform on SNL. He blamed a japanese fashion designer for putting him in a skirt with boots. But the boots that arrived were satin, so Bowie was distinctly in drag.

5576250_35e0d425d9.jpg

Highlander

A-List Customer
OK, here I am (on the right, knee high boots), while riding with my good friend in New Mexico... My thought is the knee high cavalry boots with spurs fits... riding, the west etc...
GusWoodrow-vi.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Tomasso said:
When I lived in horse country (Upper Westchester, NY.) it was quite common to see women shopping at the A&P and such wearing full riding regalia; never once saw a man do the same.

I've always thought English riding boots and attire look very cool on both men and women. Never had occasion to wear 'em myself and I suspect my skinny legs would disappoint the effect.

But women in English riding boots and pants - ahhhhhh, that is one of my favorite things to see in life. Pure magic. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21