Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A2 fit obsession.

Let's be realistic too. Many of us would not have even got an A-2 issued because of our size. We must customize today. I just thought it was an interesting talking point as some folks get a bit obsessed with every detail. Face it, nothing made today is authentic. They're all reproducing history. Most of us aren't flying B-17 or B-24's.

Tito: is that the "red" GW HH? Like 767fo's, it's gorgeous!

Aerojoe

Practically Family
I totally customized all measurements of my incoming Aero Bronco. I'm almost twice wider at shoulders than at waist and the couple ELC A-2 I've got, don't suit me at all.

Those Doolittle guys look like if they suffered of desnutrition during 1930s depression :p Body types have changed over time.

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
Heres the picture

060217-F-1234P-015.jpg

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Whenever I find myself obsessing over a 1/2" when it comes to sleeve length, 3/4" back length, I take a look at this photo of some of the Doolittle Raiders;

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/060217-F-1234P-015.jpg

I wonder if the tall fellow in front just grabbed somebody else's A2 for the photo.
Even if he did. there is a nice variety of fits in the pic.

Granted, the jacket looks a tad too short on the tall guy, especially the sleeves. But then the body length doesn't look too far off in my opinion. Rather similar to the Ike field jackets, which were also cut very short. Of course the short body length only really works if you're wearing high-waisted pants.

Fifty150

One Too Many
The jackets were made in one way, in different sizes. They fit everybody's body in a different way. If a jacket does not fit you "just so", it's not the jacket's fault. Just like trying to buy suits off the rack, you don't have the body for that jacket. You want that jacket to fit your body? Tailoring.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I have never minded paying good money for quality made things, which is why I have a small collection of Aero jackets. The fit across the shoulders is the main concern with short type jackets for me.
Now Eastman make a very good quality item, usually 100% on details, but their fit across the shoulder on their A2 tends to be a little wide when the chest is correct. But their sheepskins seem to be spot on, I have a B3 Roughwaer and a standard ANJ4.
Other than my hand made A2 by Ken, I have never tried an Aero A2
As for sales pitch, I think 'Original Fit', To Milspec' Authentic, Vintage, are probably the most abused words around to describe our old jacket, especially on auction sites such as the dreaded Bay.
I visited the Aero factory some years back and Ken said to me he would rather not sell you a jacket that did not fit you right, even if you really liked it, as you may not buy again, maybe recommend a different style that did look good and send you home a happy customer with everyone saying what a great fit the jacket was. Think when you look around at an air show, who looks like they have an A2 that is too big or small and how you comment to your friends.
See! you are doing it to the guy in the photo.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you are going to pay £600+ for a repro one quite rightly expects a decent fit. Fit was of little concern to USAAF flyers in the War when A2s were issued to them at no personal cost.

BTW. The newer ELC A2s are trimmer across the shoulders.

leopardstyle

One of the Regulars
Perhaps sizing is a bit less concerning as well when people put a war machine together with the sole intention of killing you. :)

AJCOBB

New in Town
That Doolittle Raid photo is of Crew # 3. The man in the ill fitting A-2 on right is Lt. Jacob Earl "Shorty" Manch, co-pilot of "Whiskey Pete". The crew bailed out over China at 10 pm at night when they ran out of fuel. Manch survived the raid and the war but was killed in the bailout from a T-33 in 1958 near Las Vegas. The man behind him was 20-year-old engineer-gunner Cpl. Leland D. Faktor . He died on bailout from their B-25 after the Tokyo Raid, probably only days after this photo was taken on the deck of the Hornet, the first casualty of the raid. Pilot of "Whiskey Pete" on left was Lt. R.M. Gray, who was kia in Oct 1942 in India, about 6 months after the Tokyo raid.

Last edited:

767fo

One of the Regulars
That Doolittle Raid photo is of Crew # 3. The man in the ill fitting A-2 on right is Lt. Jacob Earl "Shorty" Manch, co-pilot of "Whiskey Pete". The crew bailed out over China at 10 pm at night when they ran out of fuel. Manch survived the raid and the war but was killed in the bailout from a T-33 in 1958 near Las Vegas. The man behind him was 20-year-old engineer-gunner Cpl. Leland D. Faktor . He died on bailout from the plane after the Tokyo Raid, probably days after this photo was taken on the Hornet, the first casualty of the raid. Pilot of "Whiskey Pete" on left was Lt. R.M. Gray, who was kia in Oct 1942 in India, about 6 months after the Tokyo raid.

Great info and thanks for sharing!!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
On A2 fit and sizing. I've found for me, being of big chest around but not overly long in chest, that the placement of the sleeve seam is important. U.S. Authentic said I should ship them my older Avirex HH A2 for them to build my custom out of. I'm going to ship it to them next month but in looking at it more closely the sleeve seam is off my shoulder and the sleeve is not tight in my pits. Therefore everytime I lift my arms the jacket rides up. Is pulling the sleeve up "tighter" the right way to solve this in a new jacket?

Worf

Fifty150

One Too Many
Think about having a tailor take your measurements. Make a video of this. Then send them the video so they can see your build, how the measurements were taken, and you can voice your concerns by putting on the other jacket and showing them where it doesn't fit.

leopardstyle

One of the Regulars
The thing with having your body measured, while a good idea, is that different makers interpret these measurement in different ways. They have their own leanings too and some makers will take a 42 chest and wrap a bigger jacket around it and some will wrap a tighter jacket around it. I'm thinking you have to give measurements but also tell them what fit you want on those measurements.

AJCOBB

New in Town
This is the squadron patch on some of the A-2's in this crew photo. There were 4 different squadrons of the 17th Bomb Group involved so some of the crew photos show 4 different patches on their A-2's. Doolittle wore a Wright Field arrowhead patch. The only decent one I ever tracked down is all leather from flightjacket.com. At one time I wanted to get the Wright Field patch for my A-2 but could not find someone locally that I trusted to sew it on. flightjacket said they would sew it on when I purchased the patch if I sent them my A-2 but I was nervous about the placement without being there to tell them exactly where I wanted it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/95th-BOMBAR...ultDomain_0&hash=item3a71a82931#ht_557wt_1040

http://www.flightjacket.com/wright-bros-field.html

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn