Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A2 fit obsession.

Last edited:

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Yeah but we pay hundreds and more hundreds of dollars, yen,euro, pound for a jacket to have a certain look and it better have it. These guys, as you know, wore the jacket as a tool, a functional piece of gear to be thrown around, turned in for a new one. Would they ever have thought about the craze they created by looking so good in a jacket...

I started a thread on vlj about just this.
I claimed a true repro would not be custom sized, just generic issued sizes. Of course I'm not a stitch fer stitch fanatic so I don't care. It was more of a knock of just what you posted at the top.
But in the end, who wants a jacket for $800-$2000 that's not perfect?! If makers didn't like the fussing, they could offer only tagged sizes.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
If I'm paying over $500 for a jacket, it better effin fit like I want it... If I'm paying $1000+,, then not even a question!

Bottom line, fit becomes so obsessive because we're paying obscene money for jackets.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Reminds of pee-wee football. I was number 22...the guy in front of me was number 21 and the guy behind me was 23. You got what you got. I was in the Army from 82-86. I don't recall obsessing over the fit of my field jacket, but I didn't pay $1200 either. I also don't have the physique I had back then, so I need all the tailoring I can get.

That's what's nice about being all grown up and having a little green to splurge with :)
Getting back at those years of being told what to wear.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
During the War very tall guys rarely appear comfortable in A2s. Whilst the jacket maybe ok in the chest the sleeves and body are sadly too short. Had he been issued with a larger jacket it would have been too large at the chest! Although there was no ideal fit in the War surviving photos clearly show how ill fitting some A2s appear to the modern eye.

Surely if you alter the fit on your A2 then it can no longer be regarded as "authentic" as you have changed the specification as made by the original manufacturer?

The same thought occasionally crosses my mind.
Sometimes it seems like folks are really saying;
"I want an authentic A2 reproduction..but jeez, not THAT authentic!!" ;)

Last edited:

Tito

A-List Customer
Surely if you alter the fit on your A2 then it can no longer be regarded as "authentic" as you have changed the specification as made by the original manufacturer?

Exactly..my 1938 pattern...and not other pattern:

35jjxg1.jpg

21j9k4w.jpg

3515m5g.jpg

fw0n86.jpg

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Now this is an interesting point. From handling many original A2s from almost every wartime contractor it is clear to me that there is no such thing as an "authentic fit" for these jackets. There were significant variations within contracts even with jackets tagged the same size and from the same maker and even more from contracts awarded to different manufacturers. So customised A2s today by the top repro makers may not be as unauthentic as some people claim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic