Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buzz Rickson's MA-1 Flying Jacket, Blazing Red

Big J

Call Me a Cab
@HPA Rep, Wow Charles! Thanks for posting that fit pic! That color wasn't popping at all in the stock photos earlier in the thread.
Now that really is what I'd call 'Blazing red'! I'm absolutely loving that!

Stand By

One Too Many
Thanks for asking, Stand By. Other than the cozy warmth afforded by that sumptuous fur of the B-15D's collar, the insulation and related warmth of the bodies and sleeves are identical. On cold days such as today, I wear a scarf at my neck, which makes up, at least partly, for the absence of collar fur.

I hope this helps you!

Thanks for the clarification on the MA-1, Charles and the fit pic is fantastic!
Yes, that helps me understand the lineage and development of the nylon jackets nicely. Thank you.
But I must say that it doesn’t help my argument for just why I want this jacket if mentioning it to the wife-like person in my life.
Thus:

Me: “Hey, check this jacket out, Hon’. How about that jacket for me? What do you think? You always tell me I should wear more colour other than earth tones and you’re always saying all my jackets look the same to you. I love it! Look at that red.”

WLP: “But you’ve just got a new jacket.”

Me: “Yes, but it’s not like this one. This one’s different.”

WLP: “How?”

Me: “Well, first, it has no fur collar. For one. And it’s red.”

WLP: “So it’s no warmer or anything? It’s … the exact same jacket?”

Me: “Well, no, not technically the same jacket …”

WLP: “You are not having another jacket. Now, rather than looking at something you're not getting, aren’t you supposed to be worming the dogs today?”.

The End

Last edited:
LOL - likewise this is the first one my wife has been pretty negative about. Oddly, it's the one I really want too - non-leather.
Will see in the next day or two. Only other choice for me is the DD line with the added length, albeit in the traditional, less "popping" colors...off to brush the cats ;)

HPA Rep

Vendor
@HPA Rep, Wow Charles! Thanks for posting that fit pic! That color wasn't popping at all in the stock photos earlier in the thread.
Now that really is what I'd call 'Blazing red'! I'm absolutely loving that!

I'm glad you like this, Big J. The color, of course, is subject most to lighting, and lighting from a set professional strobes is very different from that generated from a single lamp on a camera. The red may be brighter on a nice, sunny day, but in indirect natural light, the brightness is more subdued as seen in the studio shot, though the dominance of red is still there.

Please comment if you have seen these red MA-1's in any stores in Japan.

Thank you.

HPA Rep

Vendor
Thanks @HPA Rep for the info.
I think I can make the xxl work.
I get compliments on the CPW-45 which baffles me some. It's very short. Almost paranoia short.
But that's from a life of clothing that was too small.
I love the old Apollo pilot jackets and this one looks really cool along with the story.
I have no issue wearing a bright red jacket. I gathered tonight that BR might consider xxl = 44 since their jackets all seem to max at that size.
It's not cheap. I'd hate to buy it and not be able to return it.
I'm assuming I can if it arrives and is too small?
I may wait until you post up pics of it. The other one helps tho. Thanks for doing that.

The Apollo jackets were great. Loved them as a kid. Buzz Rickson brand is trying to get one in hand to copy, so we'll see how that goes. Also love jackets used by the SR71 crews - some were made in black.

I think you are correct that the top size for most BR jackets being 44 is the reason they deem XXL a 44, regardless of the fit. There are several styles we've had where a 44 will readily fit a 46" chest measure and we sold them as such.

Yes, Butte, returns on this follow our published policy; the inspection period for this time of year is noted as being extended to Jan. 15.

if you need anything else at all, please just holler. Thank you.

@HPA Rep - the Apollo's are great. I think others are looking at them as well, and I for one hope someone does them!
I've shrunk a bit, and I might be able to hit the xxl, but there's part of me that will be heartbroken (again since wife dissed it) if it's too small.
Probably worth a shot. My marriage will survive, but I can't stop looking at this dumb thing!

HPA Rep

Vendor
@HPA Rep - the Apollo's are great. I think others are looking at them as well, and I for one hope someone does them!
I've shrunk a bit, and I might be able to hit the xxl, but there's part of me that will be heartbroken (again since wife dissed it) if it's too small.
Probably worth a shot. My marriage will survive, but I can't stop looking at this dumb thing!

I'll see if I can get you a cutting of the fabric and a copy of the photo of the F-89H crew. You can frame these and enjoy the visual and tactile experience, while saving five Ben Frankllin's and your marriage. ;-)

I'll see if I can get you a cutting of the fabric and a copy of the photo of the F-89H crew. You can frame these and enjoy the visual and tactile experience, while saving five Ben Frankllin's and your marriage. ;-)
Now you're trying to talk me out? I'm going to need some tequila...

Big J

Call Me a Cab
@HPA Rep, In 20 years in Japan I have never seen one of these, either on the street or for sale in a store. I just searched the japanese internet, and I can find literally only a couple of places with the stenciled and patched version, but only in smaller sizes (maybe leftover stock from before?). No one has the unpatched version at all. It's pretty rare.

Some pics of the Apollo jackets.
I love these in either color. Just thinking about the studs that wore them is enough to sell one to me. But I'd have to think mostly unpatched, with the possible exception of the main NASA piece?

apollo1.jpg
apollo2.jpg

Last edited:

HPA Rep

Vendor
Some pics of the Apollo jackets.
I love these in either color. Just thinking about the studs that wore them is enough to sell one to me. But I'd have to think mostly unmatched, with the possible exception of the main NASA piece?

View attachment 98725 View attachment 98726

Oh, yes, these are the stuff! I recall these well from my youth, thinking they were so cool and the men who dared to go beyond the limits. Making a superb copy, right down to fabric, zipper, and patch recreation is what such a venture deserves.

Thanks for posting!

HPA Rep

Vendor
@HPA Rep, In 20 years in Japan I have never seen one of these, either on the street or for sale in a store. I just searched the japanese internet, and I can find literally only a couple of places with the stenciled and patched version, but only in smaller sizes (maybe leftover stock from before?). No one has the unpatched version at all. It's pretty rare.

Thank you, Big J. I didn't realize these would be so scarce in Japan. I wouldn't be surprised if the stores that bought this year's production had most sold in advance.

We did no advance promotion and have about half of the original order left, with black holes in some sizes. It's just one of those items that has so many things going for it.

Monsoon

A-List Customer
Thus:

Me: “Hey, check this jacket out, Hon’. How about that jacket for me? What do you think? You always tell me I should wear more colour other than earth tones and you’re always saying all my jackets look the same to you. I love it! Look at that red.”

WLP: “But you’ve just got a new jacket.”

Me: “Yes, but it’s not like this one. This one’s different.”

WLP: “How?”

Me: “Well, first, it has no fur collar. For one. And it’s red.”

WLP: “So it’s no warmer or anything? It’s … the exact same jacket?”

Me: “Well, no, not technically the same jacket …”

WLP: “You are not having another jacket. Now, rather than looking at something you're not getting, aren’t you supposed to be worming the dogs today?”.

The End

This! This is the story of my life! I had the same exact conversation with my wife over this jacket.

HPA Rep

Vendor
Stand By, my friend, it does seem as if your size will be available next week since the customer who purchased two sizes is keeping the larger one.

You may begin the spinning of the wheels as to how this sneaks past the other half. :)

HPA Rep

Vendor
We are now down to just two sizes: XL and either one Lg. or one Med. Many thanks to the TFL members who jumped on these. Maybe, maybe more for fall 2018.

Last edited:

Stand By

One Too Many
Stand By, my friend, it does seem as if your size will be available next week since the customer who purchased two sizes is keeping the larger one.

You may begin the spinning of the wheels as to how this sneaks past the other half. :)

NOTHING sneaks past my other half, Charles. Ever. Her ability to "know" what I'm up to verges on the arcane.
Like Billy Connolly once said of his wife (the beautiful Pamela Stevenson), "I can't get away with anything."
It's funny but when I was an young apprentice, the rest of the techs there used to say (with a touch on envy and I'd laugh) that my theme song was "Getting away with it" by Electronic as I seemed to lead a charmed life and I always managed to get my own way. And indeed it was always thus right up until 2008 when I met her.
Those were the days ...

I even said to her just this morning: "Wow! Just LOOK at that amazing woodpecker on the feeder, Hon'! Wow! He is stunning! And look at the colour of that beautiful red on his head! It's the same red as that jacket in the link that I sent you ....".
"Mmm."

Last edited:

Stand By

One Too Many
... and of course, it now begs the question of, with the benefit of hindsight, would I opt for the Blazing Red MA-1 over the sage green 1952 B15-D that I have?
And I have to say, I'd still opt for what I got. That mouton collar is killer and I wouldn't be without it for the temperatures that I wear the B15-D in! I am so glad to have that jacket as I like it so much more than I thought I would and the colour is amazing too and it suits me more than I ever would have imagined - and I love the more contemporary look that a nylon jacket exudes ...
But oh, if I could just manage to have both ... I wish.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner