Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A2 fit Questions

ChuckO

New in Town
Can someone describe the shoulder droop issue with Aero A2's for me. The pictures I've seen on the site of people wearing A2's from the various high quality repro makers seem pretty comparable fit wise so I don't really get the droop problem. The Good Wears and Buzz Ricksons seem to have the greatest adherence to period detail and leather quality. Do people agree with that? Also does anyone have pictures of themselves wearing an Eastman they could post? I've never seen a picture of anyone actually wearing one..

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ChuckO said:
Can someone describe the shoulder droop issue with Aero A2's for me. The pictures I've seen on the site of people wearing A2's from the various high quality repro makers seem pretty comparable fit wise so I don't really get the droop problem. The Good Wears and Buzz Ricksons seem to have the greatest adherence to period detail and leather quality. Do people agree with that? Also does anyone have pictures of themselves wearing an Eastman they could post? I've never seen a picture of anyone actually wearing one..

Welcome to the forum. This is a subject which has been discussed before on the forum. Basically on some repro jackets the epaulettes overhang the shoulder, giving a shoulder droop. If you look through this section of the forum you will find lots of examples of people wearing original and repro jackets for comparison. The most authentic repro A2s are Good Wears, nothing else really comes close IMO.

ChuckO

New in Town
Thanks. It's a great forum. That's what I thought people were refering to. I have to say it doesn't look anymore pronounced in the Aeros than anybody elses as far as I can tell. I was just looking at the links on the Goodwear site to the Doolittle Raider pictures and it seems common enough on the originals too. I would think individual build would be responsible a lot of the time.

Jacob Dubow

Familiar Face
I would not definitely say that Buzz Rickson's are the only repro jacket other than Good Wears that offer 100% accuracy compared to originals.

I think Real McCoys NZ are often every bit as accurate as Rickson's and I own an Eastman or two that exhibit a lot of original feature design accuracy when compared to the real thing (Rough Wear 27752 and ELC "Aero" 18775-P).

I do believe that John's jackets are in their own class......over and above the other competition.

Ted

aswatland

Here are some ELC jackets which I have owned.

ELC Monarch

monarch1.jpg

monarch2.jpg

ELC Werber

Werber2.jpg

Werber1.jpg

ELC Cable (Horse hide)

Picture121a.jpg

Original Rough Wear 1401p for comparison
Picture166a.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
aswatland said:
Basically on some repro jackets the epaulettes overhang the shoulder, giving a shoulder droop.
Not just the epaulet strap, but the actual shoulder-to-sleeve seam overhangs. Aero will take in the shoulders for you, but this shortens the sleeves, so you may need longer cuffs put on as well.

ChuckO

New in Town
Aswatland's ELC's

Were those ELC's right out of the box when the picture was taken? They look pretty good but stiff especially with the original right there to compare to. After seeing your Goodwear on the other thread and the ELC here you can see how the Goodwears have a bit more soul to them. The Goodwears appear to have more character brand new.

CBI

One Too Many
ChuckO - the short version is this. Goodwear BY FAR makes the most convincing A-2 repros of any of the premium brands. I have owned jackets from all of these companies I can tell you I wish I had not spent the money on the others. There are excellent aspects to all of them but it sounds to me like you are in the market for a repro A-2. GW is absolutely the way to go. Completely worth the wait. All these repros cost some pretty serious change, getting a GW can in the end save you lots of money because the buyer gets it right the first time. Wish I had to do it all over again. If I were for some reason to want another A-2 repro (perhaps a different color or cut) I would only consider GW at this point. I used to be interested in good deals on eBay for used premium A-2's but not anymore. GW is worth the price difference.

ChuckO

New in Town
I'm definately in the market for a repro. I'm just trying to get a sense of where on the scale of genuine-ness I fall on. Wether an Aero would do it or a GW. I'm kind of leaning toward trying to get a used Aero while GW matures a bit and demand eases.

CBI

One Too Many
to each his own. I owed 2 Aero Real Deal A-2's. Cool looking jackets, great leather but completely wrong fit for a period fit. Pockets too big, incorrect stitching, strange lining. I think the wait for GW is only going to get longer. You will enjoy your Aero but now that you have been reading some of the things on this site, the GW is going to haunt you! Might as well order one now.

aswatland

If I were going to buy my first repro A2 in 2008 I would only buy a Good Wear. I have enjoyed ELC A2s, but no longer own any repros apart from a Good Wear. It is well worth the money to go straight for a GW. I don't believe the demand for GW A2s will diminish with time. On the contrary demand will grow from new buyers and exisiting owners of JC's jackets will come back for more, which is already happening.

greyhound68

A-List Customer
Agree with all the comments on GW. I have had ELC, Aero, Buzz and RMNZ and have found nothing that matches. John Chapman the owner really takes an original and clones it. I really can't tell the difference between my original Doniger and my GW Doniger it is that good. The goatskin he uses is just like that of WW2. I think you would be very happy with a GW and John will take custom measurements which most of the repro makers do not do which is a plus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran