Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A2 jacket Journey

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
Hi chaps,

Thought I would tell you how I rate my A2 jackets. May be of some help to anyone venturing into the A2 world, but be careful, seems most of us don’t stop at one!

For reference I measure 40’’ chest and 5’9’’ tall.

Cooper goatskin from eBay as new £120.00, think it’s from the 80s as the fit is blousy with large shoulders, but the length is good. Overall the fit is fine even though it’s marked 44. The sleeves are cut wide as it meets the shoulders which restrict movement. The leather being goat is supple but not very thick. Not a bad jacket but as mentioned the cut is restrictive.

Lost Worlds Dubow Horse hide from eBay as new £200.00 Wow, what a jacket! It’s possibly a bit too heavy (not sure originals were this thick) but it’s breaking in with some fantastic graining. Size 42 this time and fits my shoulders exactly right although a touch too roomy in the body. Seems very authentic indeed in every detail. Better cut in the sleeves as the arm holes are smaller it actually gives freer movement.
I would not hesitate to spend out on a new one.

Eastmans’ new Werber, over £400. This time I thought I would order a new jacket! I ordered as suggested by Eastman’s a 40’’. Interestingly the jacket is slightly wider in the shoulder than the Lost Worlds, not really too big but the body is more snug and this jacket is the best fit so far. I would really like the Werber body with The Lost Worlds shoulders! As the Eastman website says it’s a very authentic reproduction. The details are very impressive with great stitching detail and that specially made zip! The horsehide is on the light side and has a plush feel to it. It’s quite soft straight out the box but is starting to get grainier with the little wear it has had so far.
Yes it’s pricey, but recommended.

I noticed Aero are having a special offer on their house steerhide A2. At £200.00 I thought it rude not to! When it arrives I will give my impressions.

Oh, by the way, can anyone tell me what ‘jerky’ means in the context of jacket leather?

Cheerio

James.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Jerky leather has ripples and striations you can see and feel. It's meant to simulate the irregular hides that found their way into war-contract jackets, when leather was scarce and every bit that could be used, was.

BTW, a blousy sleeve/shoulder with low armholes is still the standard for modern fit leathers. They're meant as outerwear for the average, fairly sedentary man, who rarely has occasion to raise his arms.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
James, firstly: welcome to the Lounge.

Now, down to business: I spotted that Aero deal my self. Here it is for the benifit of the others:

1021S(b).JPG

I love the lining and the A2 design of course, but I was wondering about the leather. I generally prefer the darker browns. The photo mmakes the leather look a bit plasticky I think. However I recieved a sample of this steer leather from Aero and it is really nice.

Any thoughts on this particular jacket (ref. the leather)?

Kt Templar

One of the Regulars
I had them send me some samples too, the steerhide must be at least twice the thickness of the horsehide. At nearly half the price.

Not having had an A-2 ever I don't know if I will like it, and am really balking at spending £360 (on a horsehide) on something I don't know if I will like! The steer sample is darker than the pic will lead you to believe, it'll make a nice sturdy jacket (for £200 it seems good value).

I suppose it's down to if you want to take the chance! I wish they had jackets you could try for fit before taking the plunge, I know other makers have "mules" they can send out.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Yes, if you're looking for a WW2 kind of feel, I think you'd want a thinner, leather rather than a superthick one. Those flyers' jackets rippled and bagged here and there, they didn't stand stiffly away from the body.

I know the A-2 was occasionally made of steerhide, but don't know what weight it was.

The big knock people have against the A-2 is that the one-piece back doesn't give the freedom of movement that swingback jackets give. This makes it a little trickier to get the right balance between comfort and fit. Too slim a fit and it's binding in the shoulders and arms. Too loose and you look like the Michelin Man. :)

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
Good day all,

Thanks for the explanation of Jerky.

And Thanks for your inputs. When the Aero steerhide arrives I shall give a report! I may even take a photo to compare with the the Aero web page picture.

Just off to lunch now but which jacket to wear?

Cheero.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
jamespibworth@n said:
Good day all,

Thanks for the explanation of Jerky.

And Thanks for your inputs. When the Aero steerhide arrives I shall give a report! I may even take a photo to compare with the the Aero web page picture.

Just off to lunch now but which jacket to wear?

Cheero.

James when this jacket arrives please post out a review and some pictures of you wearing it.... I am considering it myself.

Thanks.

:)

Stony

New in Town
Lost Worlds Dubow Horse hide from eBay as new £200.00 Wow, what a jacket! It’s possibly a bit too heavy (not sure originals were this thick) but it’s breaking in with some fantastic graining. Size 42 this time and fits my shoulders exactly right although a touch too roomy in the body. Seems very authentic indeed in every detail. Better cut in the sleeves as the arm holes are smaller it actually gives freer movement.
I would not hesitate to spend out on a new one.

This jacket's label and all 27798 Dubows from Lost Worlds are incorrect. One, because the first "1" in the 30-1415 is missing. The reason for this is because Dubow used just one thread for the number "1" and it comes off very easily. The owner of Lost Worlds just copied an original label that had that "1" missing. The other thing that isn't right is the size label. On "all" original 27798 Dubow contracts the size is on the label. Lost Worlds attaches their size tabs below the label. They probably did it this way because it would cost more to reproduce a label for each size.

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
Thanks for pointing that out.
I have just checked the Lost Worlds web site and in it they show various original label layouts which include size labels attached under the contract label.
I am thinking the only way to authenticity is to obtain an original - not sure my A2 journey has ended yet!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner