Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A2 US Authentic photos?

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
US Authentics definitely run tall/long! When I first bought mine, I had to have the sleeves taken up about 7". Granted, I am pretty short, but it fit my husband who is 6' and has very long arms, perfectly. They do seem to have more of a trim military fit than Cooper or some of the others. But there again - mine is a 40 and my husband normally wears a 44L - and he could wear my 40 and zip it up without a regular shirt underneath. It was tight, but it did fit.

I too am glad to see US A getting props. They're a good jacket for the money. I have no complaints with mine.

kojax

Practically Family
A2 HORSEHIDE

Hello Everybody u.s. makes a nice jacket. mying is a 36 r horsehide fits me very well.......what nice about this company you get your jacket in 2 days..every other company 14 weeks over seas play with exchange. stupid lol.......

SamReu

One of the Regulars
Spokes Man

Yeah, the US Authentic does run sort of long. Someone needs to suggest to Shaul to shorten the cuffs by a half-inch or so, too. The russet, I notice in the photos, appears remarkably close in hue to the higher-dollar RMNZ -- gratifying, I must say.
But does anyone have a photo of the goat? I believe that was the original query. I'd like to see one, too.

ldmax

Familiar Face
I have a US A A2 in medium brown goat. It has a beautiful rich warm glow to it and is starting to develop wonderful texturing (9 months old). I will try to get a picture up within the next few days. Not quite sure how to do it.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
Well, I just got my US A goatskin jacket. I'm sending it back tomorrow. It is a full size too large, the body is SEVERAL inches too long--it's almost to my crotch! (the back length is 31" or more...I need about 28"!). The shoulders are too broad, the armholes are not "high and tight" in my armpits, and the sleeves are hung on almost like on a "drape suit"...I cannot lift my arms while wearing it. ("I saw it in the window and just had to have it." lol ) The overly broad shoulders seem to be derigeur for A2's no matter who makes them... I could try to get the next size smaller, but the jacket would still be way too long (and the sleeves might end up too short!!!), and it would still probably have shoulders beyond my natural shoulder and I wouldn't be able to move in it. This will be the FOURTH leather jacket (fifth jacket, counting a cloth jacket....) I have had to send back in the last few months!!! It's pretty d@m4 discouraging. I have even seriously considered making a jacket myself.

I have decided that there is no way ANY A2 jacket will fit me, no matter where it comes from. I am going to try the G-1 inspired "Raider" jacket from Flightsuits/Gibson&Barnes. The Navy type jackets all have narrower LOOKING shoulders, and the sleeves APPEAR to be inset into the body of the jacket MUCH more, which I think is an absolute necessity on a well-fitted jacket. The A2 sleeves are hardly inset at all. I have never seen a G-1/G-2/Raider style jacket "in person". At the very least, the large underarm gussetts (which SHOULDN'T be necessary!) might allow for some actual movement!

I have Emailed Flightsuits with exhaustive sizing requirements, along with my sob story, and MAYBE they will have something that will fit me. If they don't, I quit. I'm through trying to find a leather jacket.:mad:

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
Oh, here SPAD. I can give you measurements of Flightjackets/US Authentic's size 48 Tall A2 jacket!

Shoulder seam length, from collar stand to shoulder 7 3/4".
Back width, from seam to seam at the narrowest point 20" (across the shoulder blades on the back)
Sleeve length, on top of sleeve from shoulder to end of cuff 30 1/2"
Sleeve length, to the end of the leather portion 27"
Back length 31" or so
Chest measurement, immediately beneath armpits 55"

bfrench

Familiar Face
US A pics

The Wingnut said:
U.S. Authentic is a pretty nice jacket for the price.

SNIP

Hi, TW,

Those are great pics - do you have more or a link to your storage site?

Thanks,

Bill French

SPAD

New in Town
Why Thank You very, very much for those measurements. That looks like it might do the trick. I'm going to wait until after Christmas before I make a move. Like you I've gone through several jackets (A-2) and haven't had any luck. I have a Goodson model A-2 by Protect that I got out of the PX system when the USAF started re-issueing the A-2's. It is a size 52 long in goat that fits really nice but has dimensions completely different then any of todays repos. My favorite A-2 jacket, has a nice patina. Again Thanks for the heads up. SPAD:)

kojax

Practically Family
a2 jacket

my first a2 from u.s. mfg was a 38 r to big. i tryed a 36 r nice fit horsehide..........i tryed there goatskin jacket very thin and wrinkle.....horsehide much better......i been through alot of manf my self........crazy.......

ldmax

Familiar Face

ldmax

Familiar Face
I forgot to add that the pictures were taken inside using only natural light coming through the window. The colors are very close to the actual color of the jacket. As you can see, the collar has the lining not to the top and the hanging loop is below the collar stand. This is US A's current pattern as my jacket is only nine months old.

LD.

SPAD

New in Town
Dr Strange, I agree with your comments about some of the things said about those ferin jackets. I have a Cooper G-1 that has nice goatskin, fits me the way I want for a car jacket, is rugged, I can get an extra sweater under it, has a sturdy zipper, and I think, looks good, plus it was made here and didn't cost an arm and a leg and was an issue jacket. If that ain't an authentic jacket, I must be missing something. SPAD;)

Raymundo

One of the Regulars
Spad,

You have discovered something that many flight jacket enthusiasts fail to recognize. There are good flight jacket manufacturers here in the U.S. Doc Strange has been putting out this message for some time and, as he said, has met with a lot of negative comments from hard core foreign jacket owners who don't seem to mind paying top dollar for foreign made repos. It's a status thing. With the dollar falling against foreign currencies, the smart play is to buy American. It's also less of a hassle if you need to send it back for whatever reason and the profits stay here supporting our economy. I hope more people start to realize this.

Ray

SPAD

New in Town
Well said Ray. I want to know who is this guy climbing into the cockpit of that fighter with his low quarter shoes on? Have him report to supply and get some brogans or he's gonna be on the old mans sh-t list. SPAD;)

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
In regards to what Raymundo said:
Well...yeah some jacket nuts get a little snobby in reference to the less expensive repro A-2s, but it's a long stretch to claim they spend more money on the overseas products merely as status symbols. No matter how you slice it, ELC, McCoy's, Buzz, etc provide far more accurate reproductions than every US-based company thus far, and the nuts shell out the heavy green because they want the best available.

I agree with MIYE. WW2 repro A2s with more accurate patterns of different maker's contracts come only from the above mentioned..plus Aero. Several selections of HH..knits..zips,etc. A grainy WW2 trim HH replica...with Crown zip is truely something special to behold,IMHO.
HD

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Just to make things perfectly clear, I have *never* sought to denigrate the products of the premium repro makers, nor the folks who have the wherewithal to buy them, often in multiple iterations. I hope to work my way up to trying a couple of the first-class repros eventually, but my current lifestyle pretty much keeps me on the under-$500 side of the fence.

All I really wanted to indicate in my various posts on this and other threads is that there are definitely some good options in the under-$500 range, for those of us that reside there. Not everybody cares about - or can easily afford - "the best", and it's good that there are makers like US Authentic and Flight Suits/Gibson & Barnes cranking out some pretty nice, relatively inexpensive, domestically made jackets. The quality of materials/construction and "accuracy" in these will do for many of us less discriminating types...

As the old George Harrison song says: "It's all up to what you value - down to where you are"...

kojax

Practically Family
hello is there a post about the movie 12 0-clock high the movie....i thought i saw it here once can not find it now....thanks

Faisalha9159

New in Town
What colour is that?

The Wingnut said:
U.S. Authentic is a pretty nice jacket for the price. I find myself wishing I'd saved up for a Real McCoy at the time (they were only around $600), but I'm happy with it all the same. The knits are too dark and the dye lot of my particular jacket is a bit dark as well. The points on the collar aren't as sharp as they should be.

The biggest difference I've noticed on US A's A-2s is that the horsehide is VERY heavy. Compared to original jackets and other repros, it's nearly twice as thick. It'll last forever, but it will also wear differently and be a bit warmer than most A-2s.

47.jpg

58.jpg

That's a Mc Coy's on the left and my U.S. A on the right.

48_small.jpg

Hey Mr. Wingnut- great looking jacket. Is that the russett coloured horsehide?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran