Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A2's, do you miss handwarmer pockets?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Sleekness is the watchword. The A-2 is elegant because it is butt simple in design. What could you take away? The epaulets - but officers wanted them for rank. Maybe the windflap - but that's functional. Otherwise nothing.

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
Mr. 'H' said:
Here is that jacket Ed:

56782292.jpg

56782389.jpg

The leather on that jacket looks great but those pockets sure do go up high!
It reminds me of a jacket I saw on ebay about a month ago, a 50s star I think.
Was going to bid, but those pockets? not sure?:confused:

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Handwarmers mean it isn't an A2.

Do I miss having them? Not personally. Jackets with handwarmers usually have them placed so far back (Indy jacket included) as to be awkward to use anyway.

Back in 1997 or so Peterman was selling a leather "flight jacket" with high scoopy pockets and handwarmers. Also had a multiple-piece back panel, I think. A ghastly thing made of "5 lambskins." Yet the copy said "this is as close to an original as you're going to get." $395 i think. Absolute garbage.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Spitfire said:
My goodness - those pockets goes all the way up under the arms!

And Handwramer pockets - BAAAAADDDDDD!

Yes, is it really worth it? Having handwarmers???

[huh]

Look at this jacket's proportions - not as nice - especially when walking along with arms tucked in high up like Jack Nicholson's character in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Feraud

Bartender
Real Men do not need handwarmers!

Kidding aside, I do not miss a handwarmer pocket on my a2. I can wear gloves or stuff my hands in my pants pocket if necessary.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Putting one's hands in pockets directly in front of one's stomach feels - and looks - awkward. The handwarmers I had on leather jackets in the past didn't do much to warm the hands, either...in fact, they were downright pointless. You couldn't put much in them without having fear of it falling out.

I'd agree with Scotrace, if it's an A-2 with handwarmers, it's not an A-2.

Edward

Bartender
Feraud said:
Kidding aside, I do not miss a handwarmer pocket on my a2. I can wear gloves or stuff my hands in my pants pocket if necessary.

For me, trouser pockets would be fine - and as already discussed, a "true" A2 is short enough to allow that. Gloved hands are too bulky for most trouser pockets, but then if it's cold enough for me to need gloves, chances are I'm gonig to want something more substantial over my back than an A2. ;)

Milu

Familiar Face
The jacket above is an "almost A2". It's an Aero 1950s flight jacket I have one in FQHH cordovan. It differs from a detail correct period A2 not only for the handwarmer pockets but also the slightly roomier fit.

I like handwarmer pockets not only to keep hands warm whilst outdoors, but also for storing items I want quick access to. They look an awful lot better in use than walking with hands in your pockets. I've never found them awkward to use, perhaps those with difficulties in using them are wearing very trim fitting jackets?

Fast

Familiar Face
Purpose purpose purpose

The A2 was designed to be worn by a man who sits in a cockpit and flies an airplane. I don't want the guy flying my plane to have his hands in his pockets. The sleeves are a little long as well. They're fine if you're sitting down and moving your arms out in front of you. The materials were chosen to keep the pilots warm. I miss the map pocket the navy so thoughtfully provided their pilots too.

As best I can figure, the reason anyone would wear these things after WWII had to do with economy. They were a steal from a surplus store at under $10 way back then.

There are plenty of folks out there who sell variants of these jackets at almost any price, with handwarmer pockets, attachable mouton collars, wool linings, cigarette pockets, ipod ports and all manner of stuff. They are just not authentic, and will not be unless they are what they were. They tend to be cheaper too, as authenticity is an expensive feature.

Carpe Diem
Fast

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Hi Folks,

Like Scott, I think that if it has handwarmers, it isn't a real A-2. Sadly, the U.S. Air Force does not agree with us. The current issue A-2 (third generation A-2, if you will) has handwarmers. Hard to argue that it isn't real, since it is flying on the backs of Air Force pilots as I write this.

I do like functional outside pockets on flight jackets. This is one of the reasons that I prefer the L-2/B-15/MA-1 series of jackets to either the A-2 or the G-1.

Atticus

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
I got my A-2 bone stock from Eastman.
It fits great and I think hand warmers would make the line lay differently.
My only suggestion is, figure out what size you want then think about getting one size up.
Mine fits great with a regular shirt on under it but with a sweater or sweatshirt it can get a little snug.
Just my 2 cents.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Fast said:
The A2 was designed to be worn by a man who sits in a cockpit and flies an airplane. I don't want the guy flying my plane to have his hands in his pockets. The sleeves are a little long as well. They're fine if you're sitting down and moving your arms out in front of you.
Not all of them are so fine doing that. Some WW2 contracts bind tightly at the shoulder and upper arm, even while fitting comfortably in the chest and trunk.

Raymundo

One of the Regulars
I really enjoyed reading this thread because of the many and varied replies and the fact that everyone respected the others replies. I would like to add my two cents to this subject. Like others, most of the jackets that I have worn over the years have come with handwarmer pockets so I am used to having them. When I joined various flight jacket forums I found out that the original A-2's did not have handwarmer pockets but did have patch pockets in the front. These pockets were useful for pilots crammed into tight cockpits where side pockets would be hard to reach. However, as others have noted, the Army Brass did not authorize side pockets on the design of the A-2 because they did not think it looked military to have Airmen walking around with their hands in their jacket pockets. So everyone had to put their hands in their pants pockets. Go figure. Over time, as Atticus mentioned, the A-2 evolved to the current government issue that does include handwarmers. They were included after surveys of Airmen indicated that they wanted them on their A-2's. What goes around comes around and the Air Force finally listened and agreed to modify the modern A-2 design to include handwarmers. When I was in the AF back in the 60's, pilots and crews were adding handwarmers and inside pockets at tailor shops in the Far East and Middle East. I have heard that WWII aircrews added inside pockets to their A-2's and would have liked to have had handwarmer pockets too. For me, handwarmers are practical and desirable because when the weather gets cold I would rather put my hands in my jacket than wear gloves. Maybe if I lived in a warm climate handwarmers would not be a necessity but I am used to having them. Seems like there is never enough pockets to cary stuff. I have two A-2's that do not have handwarmers that I don't wear much because I miss the practicality of the side pockets but I do understand the point of vue of those who wear their jackets for authenticity. Just my two cents.

Ray

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
i have a couple A-2 style jackets, all with hand warmers, and a couple with paintings on the back that i think most of you would really dig...anyways, they dont bother me much...still a slim jacket, i switch my hands from the warmers to jeans or pants when walking or standing or whatever so they actually work fine, in my opinion :) im not one to complain anyway, cuz im the only one i know that wears those style jackets lol

Bebop

Practically Family
I think handwarmer pockets do take away the authenticity of the A-2 but I sure do like having them. If the jacket is done well, you can't really notice them until you need those hands warmed up a bit and your jeans pockets are a little tighter than they were 6 months ago.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
My first high quality A-2, a black goatskin Civil model from FlightSuits, has handwarmer pockets. (I'm wearing it in my avatar pic.) Aside from throwing my keys in the right one, I find that I rarely use them. Putting your hands in your pants pockets just seems more natural with a short jacket like the A-2, and it looks a lot better. I wouldn't get an A-2 with handwarmer pockets again, especially if I were going for any kind of authentic look. (Of course, my black one only looks authentic in b/w photos!)

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have been watching this thread develop with interest. Opinion is bound to be divided here. Being a purist IMO original A2s look far better as they were designed with two front flap pockets. Those with handwarmer pockets are convenient I guess, but I'm happy to use my trouser pockets if my hands get cold or wear gloves! Shoving your hands in handwarmer pockets can spoil the look of a leather jacket!

kampkatz

Practically Family
Having been issued a G-1 while in Naval aviation in the 70's (made of naugahyde,btw) I will add my unsolicited thoughts. Hand warmer pockets would have been welcomed even in Pecsacola, FL where winter temps sometimes dropped to just above freezing. Our pants pockets were not always available since flight suits were mostly worn under the jacket. One had to reach through the flight suit opening to get to the trouser pocket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24