Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

about difficulty to wear vintage when you're 5'97" tall like me !

Slytherin

New in Town
I'm a big girl, 5'97" ! Always this size was my cross for wearing me. Never length is adpatated, never waist is in place, never sleeves are enough long...
It's hard for me to found dresses under knees. Now i order 40s dress repro to dressmaker in UK and sometimes found my happiness on ebay ( Since long time i forget my own country France for buying clothes, its are always ridiculously little)... Is someone in the same case here or i'm the only " giant" girl ?

Blondie

Practically Family
Hello, i am 5'9, i just look for dresses with a hem that i can let down,
if i see something on Ebay i contact the seller and ask how many inches the hem is , so then i know if it will be long enough for me !
Which UK website did you order clothes from ?

analiebe

A-List Customer
i'm just under 5'10 and haven't found it such a problem... particularly with 40's & 30's dresses... and if they are a little short i've found most vintage clothing tends to have a quite generous hem for letting down...

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I'm the same - 5' 9" and although sometime things are a bit short, generally it's not too much of a problem. Hems are the easy bit, it's the sleeves that are harder to let down! Also, although I'm pretty tall, I'm also quite slim, so often things that are long enough are also much too big. I don't want to buy things that need massive alteration, that seems a shame as well as a waste of time.

The hardest thing I find, is evening dresses, as many are quite a few inches too short and that looks ridiculous.

I buy most of my stuff on Ebay or make things myself. Then at least I know I can lengthen wherever necessary.

Miss Caroline

Familiar Face
I'm 5'9 and a size 12/14 (uk) and I can not find any vintage to fit me.
I recently bought a vintage pattern thinking that if I can't fit into origonal vintage I'll make my own. Fail.
I had to take it back because 50 years ago a size 12 was about a size 8/10. So I had to take it back to the shop to get the bigger pattern and say "Hi... i'm not fat... it's just vintage sizes..." she looked me up and down as if to say "of course dear..." lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran