Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Achieving the Indiana Jones look...without looking in costume??

Fifty150

One Too Many
This look started for me when I was a cop as a younger man (our uniform was khaki shirt and dark green pants) and I just felt more comfortable in uniform type clothing.

Cops don't make a lot of money. They don't have a lot of disposable income. Between ex-wives, child support, eating out every day on shift, and hefty bar tabs; I'm surprised you don't see more cops sleeping in their cars.

For many guys I know, it's typical to wear your uniform pants & duty shoes, with a Pendleton, going to and from work. Get to work, put on your uniform shirt. Get off work, take off your uniform shirt. It's just easier that way. Most cops keep their duty shoes so shiny, that nobody would even notice that you're wearing uniform chukkas with your chinos & sport coat. And if your department issues navy blue, what's the harm in using your uniform slacks with a blazer and oxford shirt during off hours?

The uniform grade shirts are usually something that is a better quality than what we can afford at the local Wal*Mart. When I get new uniforms, I take the patches off the old uniform shirts, and then wear them as casual wear. It's still a good, warm wool shirt, that's better than the polyester that the department stores sell. Nobody would know that I am wearing a uniform shirt if it's layered under a sweater.

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Cops don't make a lot of money. They don't have a lot of disposable income. Between ex-wives, child support, eating out every day on shift, and hefty bar tabs; I'm surprised you don't see more cops sleeping in their cars.

For many guys I know, it's typical to wear your uniform pants & duty shoes, with a Pendleton, going to and from work. Get to work, put on your uniform shirt. Get off work, take off your uniform shirt. It's just easier that way. Most cops keep their duty shoes so shiny, that nobody would even notice that you're wearing uniform chukkas with your chinos & sport coat. And if your department issues navy blue, what's the harm in using your uniform slacks with a blazer and oxford shirt during off hours?

The uniform grade shirts are usually something that is a better quality than what we can afford at the local Wal*Mart. When I get new uniforms, I take the patches off the old uniform shirts, and then wear them as casual wear. It's still a good, warm wool shirt, that's better than the polyester that the department stores sell. Nobody would know that I am wearing a uniform shirt if it's layered under a sweater.

Same goes for wearing the 5-11 pants off-duty too.

NivlemRulz

New in Town
Honestly IMHO if you don't want indy comments, you shouldn't wear a fedora. I get indy comments wearing a black stetson with a tear drop bash. Of course I wanted an Indy fedora and bought a fed IV and did a Last Crusade bash with it. I don't get a ton of indy comments but just reply politely if people feel the need. I've also gotten cowboy comments in my indy hat. That shows you how much people pay attention.

I also don't think colors or subtle differences will stop comments. Just look around at some of the terrible indy costumes people come up with. They think any fedora and leather jacket and you are dressed like Indy. Even the Indy actors at disney don't wear a screen accurate costume.

I would get used to wearing a hat and then the comments stop bothering you because you know the hat is YOU not a costume. It took me about 9 months to feel completely comfortable in a fedora. It went from "the hat wearing me" to "me wearing the hat"

I also agree with other people. I wear a red bandana around my neck a lot when I'm outside. This seems to stop comments since indy never did this, however, this is extremely practical to keep you warm/cool out in the elements. I also never went as far as getting the Alden boots, a more modern hiking boot is a way better fit for what I do. Just make it you and you won't care what people say.

Fifty150

One Too Many
So the story is that Harrison Ford wore the Alden 405 when he worked as a carpenter. Carpenter? Really? He must have been a pretty successful contractor in order to afford those shoes. And even by today's standards, who would be crazy enough to spend an entire paycheck on work shoes, without a safety toe, that were never design to be work shoes. The Alden 405 is a nice shoe, but not a work boot. They would get ripped to shreds on a job site. What kind of carpenter was he? The kind that hung around in the trailer drinking coffee, but didn't actually step out to do any work?

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
So the story is that Harrison Ford wore the Alden 405 when he worked as a carpenter. Carpenter? Really? He must have been a pretty successful contractor in order to afford those shoes. And even by today's standards, who would be crazy enough to spend an entire paycheck on work shoes, without a safety toe, that were never design to be work shoes. The Alden 405 is a nice shoe, but not a work boot. They would get ripped to shreds on a job site. What kind of carpenter was he? The kind that hung around in the trailer drinking coffee, but didn't actually step out to do any work?

From Wikipedia:

Not happy with the roles being offered to him, Ford became a self-taught professional carpenter[SUP][8][/SUP] to support his then-wife and two small sons. While working as a carpenter, he became a stagehand for the popular rock band The Doors. He also built a sun deck for actress Sally Kellerman and a recording studio for Brazilian band leader Sérgio Mendes.He was then hired to build cabinets at the home of director George Lucas, who subsequently cast him in a pivotal supporting role for his film American Graffiti (1973).[SUP][8][/SUP] Ford's relationship with Lucas affected his career later on. After director Francis Ford Coppola's film The Godfather was a success, he hired Ford to expand his office and gave him small roles in his next two films, The Conversation (1974) and Apocalypse Now (1979); amusingly, in the latter film he played a smarmy officer named "G. Lucas."

It appears that he did indeed "step out and actually do some work", and that he was the kind of carpenter who could wear whatever he pleased.

Fifty150

One Too Many
The Real Deal
DSC_00082.JPG

My cheap $60 knock-offs from Lands End (Sears).
DSCN0918.jpg
lands-end-canvas-crosby-moc-tow-lace-up-boot-149.jpg

Last edited:
I can only imagine how many pairs of expensive shoes wore out on job sites.

I don't know much about these but they were probably rebuildable so off to the shoe repair for new soles & heels a few times before replacing. Back then what did they go for? I worn Florshiems a lot in the 60's - 70's and 80's. They were great shoes then and not really expensive especially if the cobbler could do repairs.

Fifty150

One Too Many
Today, the Alden 405 sells at $468 + tax.

Trubalance Last

405 Dark Brown

In Stock
AAA 9 1/2-14
AA 9-14
A 8-15
B 7 1/2-15
C 6 1/2-15
D 6-13
E 6 1/2-12
EE 6 1/2-12
EEE 7-12

Pattern: High Top Blucher Workboot with Mocc Toe.
Upper: Heavy, full grain brown waxhide.
Lining: Long wearing Cambrelle® lining for comfort.
Outsole: Neoprene cork sole, oil resistant.
Heel: Right and left angled orthopedic rubber heels.
Counters: Long inside.
Shank: Heavy, ribbed, tempered steel right and left shanks. Positioned from well back in the heel seat and extending forward to support the metatarsal area.
Insole: Natural vegetable-tanned leather insole features special reinforced rib for extra strength during modification and rebuilding.
Fitting: The Trubalance Last is designed to accommodate foot shapes from the normal to extremely pronated heavy foot with square forefoot or splay foot. It features excellent volume in the forepart and maintains both depth and shank width while providing positive heel fit and control. A good choice when prescribed corrections are required.
See Fitting Guidelines for details.

Alden offers re-crafting of their own shoes, at variable market rates.

I have no idea what the cost was in the 70's. But no amount of resoles or recrafting can restore a work boot with cuts & tears in the leather from working on a construction site. I can't recall how many times I was glad to be wearing steel toes, and these are not steel toe. I'm just a hobbyist and do-it-yourselfer. The guys who do that type of work daily must tear through their shoes with more frequency than I.

fathergoose

New in Town
Who's afraid of Indiana Jones?

Really enjoyed this thread! A week or so ago, I spotted a youngish fella in a beat up A2, white shirt, vintage tie, brown dress shoes and, crucially, a tan fedora. This is Japan, mind, and he acted as if he was on the red carpet at the Oscars rather than worrying about whether anyone would mistake him for an Indiana Jones otaku. Looked a bit more like Redford in "The Natural", when it comes right down to it. Complete confidence. Which I guess is key. Like a lot of the threads say, vintage and vintage repro is a very big deal here in The Empire. Step off the plane, and I bet a lot of you in the lounge would look around and exclaim, "I feel right at home!" By the way, I have a Wested. Perfect for this season.

Last edited:
Really enjoyed this thread! A week or so ago, I spotted a youngish fella in a beat up A2, white shirt, vintage tie, brown dress shoes and, crucially, a tan fedora. This is Japan, mind, and he acted as if he was on the red carpet at the Oscars rather than worrying about whether anyone would mistake him for an Indiana Jones otaku. Looked a bit more like Redford in "The Natural", when it comes right down to it. Complete confidence. Which I guess is key. Like a lot of the threads say, vintage and vintage repro is a very big deal here in The Empire. Step off the plane, and I bet a lot of you in the lounge would look around and exclaim, "I feel right at home!" By the way, I have a Wested. Perfect for this season.

There is a sense as listed above that if you are comfortable in what you are wearing the relaxed attitude will carry you far. The other thing is why do we cringe when people comment, it is as if we are unable to take a compliment. If they are being crass don't worry about it, who the heck are they to deal such a deliterious emotional blow to our lives. At some point you may learn to not engage or just smile and nod then carry on as if nothing has happened. The excesses in self mutilation and outlandish dress that is acceptable today should simply propel one to treat comments either with charm and good humour or allow them to be water off a ducks back.

Let others be the rain, I'd rather be in the parade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ