Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Achieving the Indiana Jones look...without looking in costume??

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
I wear a brown A-2 and a Fedora most of the time but found out it´s the hat and only the hat. No matter what kind of hat I wear or what kind of jacket I get the "Indy" comment all the time. Don´t know if I would go as far as khakis and a brown fedora but it doesn´t seem to matter anyway. People have no idea about classic clothing... [huh]

Frank

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
The "Jones" look is (my opinion) great for a movie character. Have to admit, if I observed anyone running around my neighborhood sporting a whip and pistol, they would have a quick trip to the County lock up.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A fully patched A2 wouls likely draw Top Gun comments.

Hi Edward, an A2 would draw Top Gun comments (maybe, it's a 25 year old movie). Of course you realize that the A2 is USAF or USAAF and Top Gun is a Navy movie, they wear G-1's. Here in Kansas, I don't worry about the gun, it's the weirdo with the whip that's scary.

Later Y'all

Fifty150

One Too Many
XXX amount of years ago, anyone wearing a leather jacket would have gotten "Fonzie". Leather pants? Maybe Al Pacino in "Cruising".
250324.1020.A.jpg

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
The Indiana Jones look is a great style. As an everyday style, it should probably be limited to coat and hat, with attitude :D As has been said in this forum many times, a guy should own the look :cool:
I often go around wearing a brown jacket and official wool Indiana Jones hat (a thrift store bargain) and nobody comments on it. Must be my beard! :D

Edward

Bartender
Hi Edward, an A2 would draw Top Gun comments (maybe, it's a 25 year old movie). Of course you realize that the A2 is USAF or USAAF and Top Gun is a Navy movie, they wear G-1's.

Sure, but to the average person on the street they're the same thing. My AN6552 (effectively the same thing as a G1) has been referred to as "an Indy jacket" more than once. Most people don't see the difference, just a brown leather bomber jacket with patches on it. Especially outside the US.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Most people, in some way or another, are copying a look they've seen elsewhere, whether it's from a movie, a sport or sport celebrity, or some fashion 'expert' who decides that brown paper shopping bags are the new 'in' thing to wear to your next cocktail party (or Walmart).

I will say that copying any look 100%-to-the-nines is not the way I go. I like to mix and match stuff that looks good together in my eyes without looking like I just stepped off the movie screen.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Interestingly enough, I was wearing epauleted shirts since I was a teenager when military garb was in fashion. I still have my uncle's 1960's M65 field jacket. He gave it to me when I was about 12 (1972). It was big on me but I wore it anyway. I still wear it.

I started to wear fedoras when I was in my twenties, and at some point, put an epauleted shirt together with a fedora. Seemed like a natural thing to do.

CSG

Familiar Face
I've worn khaki and olive drab field/uniform type shirts for well over 30 years. I wear them with jeans or khaki or olive drab pants but never khaki with khaki. This look started for me when I was a cop as a younger man (our uniform was khaki shirt and dark green pants) and I just felt more comfortable in uniform type clothing. For business, it was always dark traditional suits and the whole banker look but casual wear has revolved around that military, park ranger look for decades. The only time I've ever gotten an Indy comment is when I wear my brown wool crusher fedora that every outdoor store sells.

Last year, I was on vacation at Yellowstone with one of my sons and dressed in a khaki shirt, olive drab slacks, wearing that hat, using a collapsible hiking staff, and wearing a small lumbar pack. We were hiking on the boardwalk trail at Old Faithful and I was stopped by fellow tourists on two occasions who mistook me for a park ranger. My son still ribs me about it and my closet which has close to a dozen khaki and olive drab dual flap pocket shirts.

As much as I like this traditional outdoor type of dress, I try to avoid looking like a Hollywood actor in a movie role.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Interestingly enough, I was wearing epauleted shirts since I was a teenager when military garb was in fashion. I still have my uncle's 1960's M65 field jacket. He gave it to me when I was about 12 (1972). It was big on me but I wore it anyway. I still wear it.

I started to wear fedoras when I was in my twenties, and at some point, put an epauleted shirt together with a fedora. Seemed like a natural thing to do.

You & I are from the same era. I always wore surplus 'cause it was cheaper & I was a working class hero/University student.
I grew up sleeping under (scratchy!) US ARMY wool blankets when my Da' was a poor Grad student.
Service clothing always seemed well made & designed -practical & utilitarian... & cheap. I wore my Da's cotton service shirt from Korea until it was literally in threads.
I've been in hats since the 7o's when we could pick 'em up at the thrift store for a few bucks, we never paid attention to maker, model, brim or bash, we just used 'em & abused them, forgot 'em & lost them on the river or a concert or party, gave away to a girl, used 'em to unscrew a hot radiator cap (true) trashed 'em them & treated them like the highly available low cost item they were at the time. :p

Talk about youth wasted on the young!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner