Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Acme pens, are they any good?

indycop

I'll Lock Up
I am considering getting a real pen and have no experience with any thing past a Pilot gel.:rolleyes:

I looked at several Cross, Monteverde ( I think), and many more. I liked the look of the Acmes and the price was not too bad.
So I guess my question is how are they?:)

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
I have one that writes very nicely and does not leak..

On the other hand, I have never known anyone who regularly writes with a much more expesive M pen who did not have ink stains on his fingers.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
I summon... John in Covina!

summon.jpg

BlindeMan

Familiar Face
I haven't bought an Acme product since I was burned by my purchases of a pair of their Spring-Powered Shoes, a Rocket Sled and a Giant Rubber Band.

Esme

One of the Regulars
Yeah, I don't know if I would buy from Wile E. Coyote's supplier or not!!

Check out the Fountain Pen Network. There are sometimes regular pens and good deals on Fountain Pens. I just picked up a 1930's Mabie Todd Blackbird for about $80, reconditioned.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Indy, see if there's an Office Max or Office Depot closing near you. I just bought a Waterman Phileas from them for 40% off and it is a superb writer. Also Cross' fountain pens are a great way to begin. +1 on the Fountain pen Network, great bunch over there.

univibe88

One Too Many
Are you looking for a fountain pen or a roller ball? What is the intended use? Sit on a desk? Carry with you in the field? Are you looking for fancy or industrial?

Take a look at Lamy. My gut feeling is that you will like their style. They are a very well made pen, made in Germany.

Esme

One of the Regulars
I have a Lamy, they are nice and some are quite "Atomic Age" looking.
I want a Phileas, but I will have to order online. That will probably be my next purchase. I have a vintage Waterman.

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
Indy-

Sigh. As the only person who has replied on this thread who has ever used an Acme pen (the other responders never having touched, held, purchased, or used one, it would seem), I suggest you stop following this thread now, before it evolves into a discussion of hats and ties, which I find difficult to write with. ;)

indycop

I'll Lock Up
univibe88 said:
Are you looking for a fountain pen or a roller ball? What is the intended use? Sit on a desk? Carry with you in the field? Are you looking for fancy or industrial?

Take a look at Lamy. My gut feeling is that you will like their style. They are a very well made pen, made in Germany.
It would be for work, mainly when I go over to the detective division for a month to see if I can get in or not. So it would need to be up to the job. Maybe a fountain would not be the best, so probably roller.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Bourbon Guy said:
Indy-

Sigh. As the only person who has replied on this thread who has ever used an Acme pen (the other responders never having touched, held, purchased, or used one, it would seem), I suggest you stop following this thread now, before it evolves into a discussion of hats and ties, which I find difficult to write with. ;)
lol lol lol

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Indy, if you are going to carry it on duty, go with the Cross ATX. It is built like a tank. I am a parole agent and it does stand up to our line of work. Remember, throw the young studs in first, they like to fight.

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
OK, since you have opened this beyond Acme pens, I have two recommendations for you. First, if you are interested in trying a fountain pen for daily use, I heartily suggest a supply of Pilot Varsity disposable fountain pens. They cost about $3 each and their writing quality is better than many pens costing $300 or more. Plus, if you lose it or run over it, so what? Three bucks. Furthermore, you can refill them (wink wink) if you want to mess with one a bit, making them even cheaper. Best deal around in a fountain pen. Get them at Office Depot, Staples, or on the internet.

Second, if you want to try a rollerball, the absolutely best writing rollerball is a Mont Blanc. However, since both the ink and the writing tip are completely contained in the refill, it is more accurate to say that the best writing rollerball refill is the Mont Blanc refill. Therefore, my recommendation is the rollerball hack at this website.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Save-$200-in-2-minutes-and-have-the-worlds-best-wr/

Takes only a minute; it works; it's cheap; you get to write with the best rollerball made; and the pen you are carrying around doesn't have a flashing "steal me" sign attached to it.

Then again, if you want to carry a pen to impress, neither of the above will satisfy that requirement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner