Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Acqua di Parma.... as worn by Cary Grant, Humphrey Bogart, PADDY et al

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
A True Golden Era Accouterment:

AP_001_SPRAY_B.jpg

Well this bottle ended up under the Christmas tree pour moi and I've been wearing it and enjoying the nice refreshing fragrance ever since.

I wasn't even aware of the fragrance until PADDY visited with me and was wearing some and extolling its virtues. After he told me that Mssrs. Bogart and Grant used to wear it (this stuff's been around since 1916 and was popular in the 40s among that set) I was smitten. The yellow cylindrical package is also highly attractive.

So: thanks PADDY for the heads up. I like it! :eusa_clap

Johnnysan

One Too Many
My mother was born and raised in Verona and emigrated to the U.S. in 1946, so when I read about Aqua di Parma in my copy of "Gentleman's Guide", I asked her about it. She sung it's praises as being THE cologne of the fashionable set of the 20's, 30's and 40's. I purchased a bottle and immediately understood why it had survived as a classic for nearly 100 years. :)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
My father wore AdP for most of his life so it was the first cologne I dabbled in as a kid. And, my mother and sisters would wear it occasionally as well as it's considered a unisex scent. Unfortunately, though I love the scent, it doesn't last more than an hour or so on my skin. :(

Edward

Bartender
Heh.... I clicked on this epecting a atch for some reason.... 'aqua' should have been a clue.... :eusa_doh:

(Cut me some slack, though... I stoppoed wearing aftershave about as soon as I got old enough to shave regularly.... lol ).

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
bburtner@moran said:
Must be high end foo-foo juice if those folks wore it...Can you get it at Walgreens?

Well, it's hard to get it in my neck of the woods, but one high-end store carries it, and it was selling like hotcakes this Christmas.

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Its sold everywhere in London. Boots, Heals, Space NK, Jo Malone, etc. Its an okay smell, and has changed hands as far as who wears it these days. Mostly reserved for junior execs and the rest of the 9-5 lot who work in tall towers in Canary Wharf (read: a yuppie cologne, unfortunately). It was recommended to this crowd in The Observer or one of those papers. I thought id give it a try but everyone wears it here.

No offence is meant. If you like a scent, then you like it.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I'm intrigued by this, but at $71 for under three ounces of the shaving balm, I'll have to stick with my Bay Rum.

Lou

One of the Regulars
My warm weather favorite

I bought some AdP a couple of years ago after reading rave reviews about it. It was nice in the store, but my opinion changed when I tried it a few days later on a cool autumn day. It seemed too rosy and powdery to be a man's scent. I recalled reading that it was more of a warm weather fragrance, but didn't think it would make that much of a difference. I put it on eBay, got no bids, and shelved it. Several months later on a warm day, I tried it again and found out how wrong I was about the effects of weather. The warm air brought out a citrus note that brightened the rose and made it an elegant scent that I really liked. I wouldn't wear it to the pool hall, but for a dressier evening it can't be beat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen