Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

acrylic artwork on hats

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Oh, man, I saw this whole brouhaha coming the moment the post went up. My feeling is that these caps, while clever and creative, are not what this forum is all about.
But since they were presented in the spirit of, "Hey, what do you guys think of these?" I say let's let those who like them like them.

RBH

Bartender
I am just a newbie here and I was surprise to see a thread with ball caps in it. But... seems to me the best way to handle this is let the community decide by nothing more than interest. I certainly would not keep posting here if my comments never got any interest. If they are left unanswered, I would move on. I agree, I come here due to my interest in the 1940s and in particular fedora style hats. But in lieu of a clearly defined or articulated guidelines (I go by what was posted earlier, not by what I know to be true) seems like we let it ride and see what the community wants. Why kick up so much dust? Just my "for what it's worth".

Wise words.
Most times I let threads live or die by the members intrest.
I will not let it slide into name calling.
The truth is this forum is about vintage things. And vintage inspired things.
While a Campdraft is not vintage it is a close to a vintage Open Road/Stratoliner that we will get this side of a custom made fedora.
Caps were worn in the 'good old days' so caps will be discussed as will modern stingy brim box store fedoras. Nothing wrong with that.
As long as we keep it civil, it will not matter that some could care less about the past, but also remember that some like my friend HarpPlayer Gene will not wear a new or custom hat. His likes tend to the vintage only.

Last edited:

RBH

Bartender
And then he slashes them severely......

images

barrowjh

One Too Many
I saw that one of the caps was a sort of 'Bama cap, and being a native of Birmingham, I offer these alternatives:

A white beaver fedora-
Picture7.jpg

properly dressed in a crimson pugaree-
Picture9.jpg

And then a wider brim white c'boy hat -
IMG_1453.jpg

Again, dressed up for game-day with the crimson pugaree-
IMG_1456.jpg

better alternative, IMHO, both offering protection from the sun for ears and neck as opposed to just shading your nose.

dirty old biker

Familiar Face
I've been sitting here reading this post & LMAO! I just posted a thread of some hats (caps, bubba baseball) whatever, & several folks proceded to pick it apart....I don't mind that at all.....pick away by all means < I'm just thankful to have the talent to do these things , I customize biker style western boots, I do portraits , murals on walls , I have a couple of threads here to describe the detail with pics.....I have a thriving art biz, even handpainting leather jacket logos etc.....yall can go to those posts too & pick THEM apart as well (Yeah my capitol lock works to show emphasis too, LOL)....But as long as I tote a few benjamins , I'm happy & as long as my bills are paid this way , I'm happy & if you'd rather not see any of my skills , that's just peachy !

dirty old biker

Familiar Face
Here's one of my "FEDORA" style lol .....I did this by taking a vintage "longhorn" felt hat & adding a mixture of acrylic brown & water, then spraying it all over til drenched, then I carefully reshaped it from a "YE HAW" style western to one I call my "Indianna Jones" style, It now has a "leathery look" to it . I also made the hat band form scrap leather & resized -to -smaller conchos.....I just love it , & get a ton of compliments on it .
100_1043.jpg

100_1044.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy