Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

acrylic artwork on hats

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I didn't list them as "Vintage or Golden era" READ MY POST TITLE !

Hi, your post title reads "Acrylic artwork on hats" Baseball caps are indeed hats, but it's my impression that this forum foucuses more on fedora style hats, particularly vintage or vintage inspired and old (or old inspired) "newsboy" style caps. I also get the impression that your use of all upper case lettering implies agitation. No real need for that around here.
The paint job on your caps looks amazing, though. I'm sure one of the bartenders will help orient this thread where it would function better.

Last edited:

davidraphael

Practically Family
I didn't list them as "Vintage or Golden era" READ MY POST TITLE !

But....this is a site for vintage and golden era culture, old chap... [huh]

That said, as least one of the caps is decorated with a vintage symbol (Eiserne Kreuz). I suppose one can't get much more 'vintage' than that. lol

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
As in interesting as these may be, I don't see anything vintage or golden era about them.

Giving what you said, the same could be said for Akubra and other modern production felt hats, western, Aussie style, Stingy's etc. If we only do them (vintage/golden era) it would really limit what was seen on this Forum :)

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Giving what you said, the same could be said for Akubra and other modern production felt hats, western, Aussie style, Stingy's etc. If we only do them (vintage/golden era) it would really limit what was seen on this Forum :)

I'll just use what Aureliano wrote to answer you (italics are mine):

'Hi, your post title reads "Acrylic artwork on hats" Baseball caps are indeed hats, but it's my impression that this forum foucuses more on fedora style hats, particularly vintage or vintage inspired and old (or old inspired) "newsboy" style caps.'

We all know that golden era reproductions, whether factory or hand made, whether hats or suits or dresses or shoes, etc, are a long-standing tradition here. Modern painted ball caps are not, and quite frankly, I hope they don't.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I'll just use what Aureliano wrote to answer you (italics are mine):

'Hi, your post title reads "Acrylic artwork on hats" Baseball caps are indeed hats, but it's my impression that this forum foucuses more on fedora style hats, particularly vintage or vintage inspired and old (or old inspired) "newsboy" style caps.'

We all know that golden era reproductions, whether factory or hand made, whether hats or suits or dresses or shoes, etc, are a long-standing tradition here. Modern painted ball caps are not, and quite frankly, I hope they don't.

As for Baseball caps, I agree that they belong on Baseball players and Bubba's but to limit EVERYTHING to JUST the "vintage or golden era" would remove one of the best attributes of this Forum, it's egalitarianism which makes it an informative place to learn and interact about HATS :) Besides, my "golden era" may not coincide with yours and who defines that ?

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
As for Baseball caps, I agree that they belong on Baseball players and Bubba's but to limit EVERYTHING to JUST the "vintage or golden era" would remove one of the best attributes of this Forum, it's egalitarianism which makes it an informative place to learn and interact about HATS :) Besides, my "golden era" may not coincide with yours and who defines that ?

From the Fedora Lounge FAQ, written by one of the founders (I Assume)

"What is The Fedora Lounge?
This swanky venue resembles a 1930s-40s club comprised of like-minded people who share an interest and passion in the "Golden Era." So, stop on in, pull up a chair, order a drink and discuss the finer things in life, from cars to hats and clothes, music, aircraft, WWII, movies, and more."

It's not about egalitarianism but about the many forums available on the internet that specialize on different things. Our forum, the lounge, foucusing more on Golden Era, vintage items, old school stuff. Call it how you wish. I don't know why I'm getting involved in this and specially with you. As you would say "onward through the fog" I go.

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
From the Fedora Lounge FAQ, written by one of the founders (I Assume)

What is The Fedora Lounge?
This swanky venue resembles a 1930s-40s club comprised of like-minded people who share an interest and passion in the "Golden Era." So, stop on in, pull up a chair, order a drink and discuss the finer things in life, from cars to hats and clothes, music, aircraft, WWII, movies, and more.

OK, then we need to get all the threads that DO NOT deal ONLY with "golden era" hats off here and ONLY discuss them. No more modern Western, Fedora, Aussie, Flat cap, Berets etc. That would surely get rid of "those" folks who are not in line with the "proper" viewpoint . Sounds like a good idea :)

jkingrph

Practically Family
The artistry is good, altough not to my taste.

Please take no offense, but I do not think they belong on this forum, at least not decorated like that. Maybe as vintage baseball caps?

After all the name of this forum is "The Fedora Lounge", sub forums are "generally" for nostalgic items, topics or reproductions.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
OK, then we need to get all the threads that DO NOT deal ONLY with "golden era" hats off here and ONLY discuss them. No more modern Western, Fedora, Aussie, Flat cap, Berets etc. That would surely get rid of "those" folks who are not in line with the "proper" viewpoint . Sounds like a good idea :)

:noidea: :frusty: I'm out of here.

newturnofphrase

One of the Regulars

I'm new here, but from what I've gathered this forum encompasses a wide variety of hats both modern and classic, but which all fit within one or more of the categories of:

- vintage (pre 1970s-80s),
- high-quality (great craftsmanship/better materials),
- very rare or unique (limited to rareness that is intrinsic to the hat and recognized and valued by the collector community at large, not just idiosyncratic things like signed contemporary baseball caps)

For me, these are the things that make hats interesting, and these hats make this forum interesting.

Hence, even contemporary fedoras that are clearly cheap, poorly-made, or otherwise of low quality would be unsuitable for posting here because they don't fall into any of those categories. My understanding is that as the site grew, the historical purview has expanded to the point that essentially any hat that meets the 'vintage' criteria from the past 150 or so years would likely be appropriate, personal feelings of style aside.

Excluded items would include any contemporary baseball caps from the past 30-40 years, as these baseball caps are inherently low-quality, not vintage, and not rare, and would definitely exclude those that have various signatures written on them, art designs, and insignia on them.

Edit: for clarification, I would think that a signed Mickey Mantle baseball cap would be excluded, if it failed the vintage test, despite its value to collectors, because that value is derived from its association with baseball, not from any rare qualities as a hat.

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up

The 'Golden Era,' is generally thought of here to be the 1920s through the 1950s or so, although it has wandered off on either side on occasion. Most of the hats we discuss here are either true vintage, or modern versions of vintage, whether they are fedoras, homburgs, or flat caps. Westerns are on the edge of vintageness, as far as I'm concerned, but there is a fuzzy area between some fedoras and westerns, such as hats like the one in your avatar, and ORs, and such. I'm not willing to draw any solid lines there. But as far as a time-frame, city-folk from the turn of the previous century, wearing their derbies and detachable collars, up through the Mad Men style suits and hats of the 60s, are all fair game here. Painted baseball hats, no. But that's just my opinion.

Matt Brandon

New in Town
I am just a newbie here and I was surprise to see a thread with ball caps in it. But... seems to me the best way to handle this is let the community decide by nothing more than interest. I certainly would not keep posting here if my comments never got any interest. If they are left unanswered, I would move on. I agree, I come here due to my interest in the 1940s and in particular fedora style hats. But in lieu of a clearly defined or articulated guidelines (I go by what was posted earlier, not by what I know to be true) seems like we let it ride and see what the community wants. Why kick up so much dust? Just my "for what it's worth".

Pompidou

One Too Many
Ballcap threads have never been off limits in the past - so long as the point was to make fun of them. You've either got to love the past or hate the present when you make a thread. Either option has always been kosher for as long as I've been here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic