Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Actors Whose Careers Were Not Fully Realized

Flivver

Practically Family
Carole Lombard...so funny and so beautiful.

I would immagine her career could have lasted into the 1960s, had her life not ended so tragically in 1942.

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
Hemingway Jones said:
James Dean, only three films. He was such a compelling screen presence.

I think his potential was fully realized just not put in action because of extenuating circumstances. Death does make a career hard to pursue

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
James Caan. Especially when you consider his Godfather co-stars Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, and Robert Duvall. Caan should have been a great one.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
bobalooba said:
I think his potential was fully realized just not put in action because of extenuating circumstances. Death does make a career hard to pursue
Ergo, my point. He was hardly recognized before he was gone; the quintessence of an unrealized career. He could have, perhaps, been another Brando. Even Brando, for that matter, could have done more were he not hindered by madness.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Chester Morris(1901-1970)

I enjoy his films from the late 20s and 30s very much! :eusa_clap
His role as a convict in MGM's "The Big House" (1930) is forceful and brilliant. "Chester Morris was an attractive, charismatic and thoroughly professional actor who never gave a bad performance, but somehow never managed to become a mayor star."

3271082.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
HadleyH said:
"Chester Morris was an attractive, charismatic and thoroughly professional actor who never gave a bad performance, but somehow never managed to become a mayor star."

3271082.jpg

Not a big star, but what a BIG collar! lol

Just saw him co-star with Jean Harlow in "Red-Headed Woman." I wasn't too impressed, unfortunately. :(

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Don't Laugh, But...

Burt Reynolds

I think he let things slip away when Reynolds traded in his dramatic and light comedy chops for a bunch of silly (but money making) comedies and then descended into self parody (the Reynolds cackle). I always thought that there was a really good dramatic actor there.

WH1

Practically Family
John Cazale, the actor who played Fredo in Godfather I & II. He made only five movies in his far too short career.

The complete list:
The Godfather
The Godfather II
Dogday Afternoon
The Conversation
The Deerhunter

Everyone of them was nominated for the Best Picture Academy Award, truly an amazing career.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
An actor that whose career was not fully realized, due to an untimely death, was Robert Williams. The only performance I have seen is his in Platinum Blonde, which shows up on TCM from time to time. He was very much like James Stewart, in that he presents himself very naturally, very low key. His delivery has a conversational feel, almost like it's the first take, not the studied performance of someone trained to project to the back of the auditorium.

I said to myself, "Let me dig this solid cat and see what jumps in that wig of his that's causing all the flip on the vine."

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Michael Pare

I was looking through the September 1985 copy of Andy Warhol's "Interview" magazine, from the days when it was in large format, there is a Photographic shoot, done at warner Bros Studio in "Vintage" style featuring the "Up and coming"young stars of that year , Michael Pare was one of them I don't think he really reached his true potential, only remember him for "Eddy & the Cruisers"

3580387064_6cbeb8061a.jpg

"Dressed for success" Michael Pare in 1985

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner