Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ADAM ALLEY

moehawk

I'll Lock Up

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
All yours moehawk. I've never seen it before. It looks original but I can't find any ads or pictures of another "City Chap". I'll keep trying.

This is a pic of a similar ribbon treatment on a hat now owned by navarre.

I believe it may be a Dobbs, I'll inquire. He has also done it on one of his custom hats.

Last edited:

navarre

Vendor
Mine is a Stylepark from the thirties that we believe someone may have trimmed the brim on. I had kept a photo of this hat in my collection for some time and have even offered it as a custom option for a few years(not a lot of takers though). Then one day Garret(an old member here) showed up at my house with the hat as a gift for me! Same hat from the photos in my archive!

I have also seen a 1930's Emerson with the same treatment, although I didn't keep a photo of that one. And also a Dobb's that was awesome, as it had the twist on both sides with a back bow. I have recreated that one a few times for sure and there is a photo of that somewhere on the Facebook page for Black Sheep Hats. That's not an attempted sales pitch, I just seem to be having trouble getting the image to copy from Photobucket, so you could at least see the custom one over there. I'll keep trying to see if I can get them both up here for you to see.

Great Find by the way! Welcome to a very small club of twisted ribbon hat owners! :)

Bob

RJR

Won this by the skin of my max bid's teeth. Arrived today. 2 1/2" brim, 4 1/2" Optimo blocked crown.

e9bdd90b21b418180cdec7789eebaf95.jpg
eecdcd74b9caa88ab092f9ac51550507.jpg
a346840a336b61613f086518f0220512.jpg

Leather is butter soft, and in good shape other than a bit of wear around the stamped area.
Size tag looks like one I saw upthread on a hat attributed to the Thirties. The sweatband stamp looks like one on a hat attributed to the late Forties. So, my guess is somewhere in between.

5a6ae90e645a578ef42040faad2db9cc.jpg
942028b1303e52f44054b4f1853fb70c.jpg

Genuine Panama, Royal Quality. Cool looking stamp too!

327175f7a365b9e22a08b4f022f55426.jpg

Nice fine weave. Not as fine as some on the Lounge, but the finest Panama I have. 80 grams. Stiffer than my Cuenca, but not at all brittle.

e14bf221da173aa5971e59616df8f26a.jpg
228ded2b21359c1dbf9941e2fe15deb7.jpg

The obligatory inside the crown shot backlit by the sun.

fd0c63cd290629d7d6974f89db037852.jpg

I believe "totally stoked" is a phrase that best describes my feelings about this hat.
I shall look forward to a sunny windless day tomorrow. And hope it is so.
This is a pic of a similar ribbon treatment on a hat now owned by navarre.

I believe it may be a Dobbs, I'll inquire. He has also done it on one of his custom hats.

Nice.

Miamibruno

One Too Many
I
Mine is a Stylepark from the thirties that we believe someone may have trimmed the brim on. I had kept a photo of this hat in my collection for some time and have even offered it as a custom option for a few years(not a lot of takers though). Then one day Garret(an old member here) showed up at my house with the hat as a gift for me! Same hat from the photos in my archive!

I have also seen a 1930's Emerson with the same treatment, although I didn't keep a photo of that one. And also a Dobb's that was awesome, as it had the twist on both sides with a back bow. I have recreated that one a few times for sure and there is a photo of that somewhere on the Facebook page for Black Sheep Hats. That's not an attempted sales pitch, I just seem to be having trouble getting the image to copy from Photobucket, so you could at least see the custom one over there. I'll keep trying to see if I can get them both up here for you to see.

Great Find by the way! Welcome to a very small club of twisted ribbon hat owners! :)

Bob
I had a hat just like that but I can't remember what it was (I think it was an Emerson). It had that same sewing design down the crown. I think I asked about it on the Lounge at some point. I really liked it but it was too large. This new one is a 7 1/2 and way too big for me. I find them very funky. Cool hats indeed.

Ok......here is my new (old) Adam buff (light grey/tan) Homburg. It is an Adam Executive. I also found a vintage hat box for it too....
I THINK early 50's. It does have a liner protector but it is NOT the usual clear plastic but a sort of thin cheese cloth textured like material. It has a 1 7/8 ribbon and sweat. " PLIANT-EZE" on front of sweat. Hopefully those here can give me more information...
Cheers,
M
14828742934152006375889.jpg 1482874439750-206167733.jpg 1482874489200-253925659.jpg 14828745237971580462188.jpg 1482874551620-525212255.jpg

Ok......here is my new (old) Adam buff (light grey/tan) Homburg. It is an Adam Executive. I also found a vintage hat box for it too....
I THINK early 50's. It does have a liner protector but it is NOT the usual clear plastic but a sort of thin cheese cloth textured like material. It has a 1 7/8 ribbon and sweat. " PLIANT-EZE" on front of sweat. Hopefully those here can give me more information...
Cheers,
M

Is the sweat pliable enough to get pics of the tags behind? I think you might be right on the date. Somewhere in this thread is a link to the progression of liner tip logos and a rough estimation of year.

Here it is.

Is the sweat pliable enough to get pics of the tags behind? I think you might be right on the date. Somewhere in this thread is a link to the progression of liner tip logos and a rough estimation of year.

Here it is.
The sweat is real nice and soft but the labels are mostly behind the liner preventing a good photo......
VERY comfortable hat and a great felt......uncharacteristically for me, I am leaving it as is with the center dent only and NOT putting in any pinches......
Cheers,
M

mmbarnes

I'll Lock Up
Cheers,
M
View attachment 63740 View attachment 63741 View attachment 63742 View attachment 63743 View attachment 63744
Fantastic find! What a great color for a homburg... Congratulations!

The sweat is real nice and soft but the labels are mostly behind the liner preventing a good photo......
VERY comfortable hat and a great felt......uncharacteristically for me, I am leaving it as is with the center dent only and NOT putting in any pinches......
Cheers,
M

Well, if you can see it, but not photograph it, you can poke around here for some clues. The link to the liner tips gives you one clue. If there is a union label, that could be another. Nothing definitive, though.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Cheers,
M
if you have a little mirror you can save your self from sweaty palms and heart palpitations

I use a little circular swiveling mirror that extends like a radio antenna that I got from the hardware store ... sort of like a slightly larger dentists mirror

works great

No dates on the liner page , but the pictures are in order of year ... earliest first. Your logo is a little hard to see in the picture but I think it has the "badges" at the top rather than the "Top hats". I believe that is late 1940's early 50's.

Same here. Executives have both shields and top hats. This one appears to have the shields.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points