Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ADAM ALLEY

Adam Mr. Boulevard Executive Quality

Yet another of the latest Johnny Phi hats. Adam Mr. Boulevard (Executive Quality), size 7 1/4 LO. Similar felt type and of course the great styling.

3766060177_1a009b9f51_b.jpg

3766858668_3b79c956ab_b.jpg

3766060761_1461bb967e_b.jpg

3766858724_206b8cc381_b.jpg

3766858804_ff2f352b86_b.jpg

3766061049_1ed7a5808f_b.jpg

Adam Executive Quality

Adam Executive Quality, size 7 3/8 LO. I bought this one for a friend who also loves hats. Again similar felt and style lines.

3766099757_036e321c5f_b.jpg

3766099957_386cabeca8_b.jpg

3766100115_ea5bd51a09_b.jpg

3766100331_424c47e26b_b.jpg

3766898780_a27ffcfa5e_b.jpg

3766100563_5e0300e76b_b.jpg

3766898996_646acd0979_b.jpg

Adam Crosley PTV (Fifth Avenue Quality)

billyspew said:
Yes that looks about right. After Miller Bros. acquired them in 55 they for a while had it on the name on the sweat, the sweat seemed to shrink tin the late fifties then they stopped putting on the Miller Bros name, seems by 63/64 ish they made the sweat bands black. There do seem to be slight variations, but yours seems to fit into the late fifties/early sixties timeframe.

This is another JohnnyPhi Adam Crosley, size 7 3/8 from his FL auctions. This one doesn't have a sewn in liner. The felt is thicker and on the stiff side. The sweet looks similar to the sand Pacesetter that I posted earlier but that one has a sewn in liner. I am thinking early to mid 60s maybe latter?

3766155053_34b786ac62_b.jpg

3766952952_af7ca52c3f_b.jpg

3766953014_7b4f49e311_b.jpg

3766155307_efe3812dfe_b.jpg

3766155441_aa403b947f_b.jpg

billyspew

One Too Many
mayserwegener said:
This is another JohnnyPhi Adam Crosley, size 7 3/8 from his FL auctions. This one doesn't have a sewn in liner. The felt is thicker and on the stiff side. The sweet looks similar to the sand Pacesetter that I posted earlier but that one has a sewn in liner. I am thinking early to mid 60s maybe latter?

That helps the dating, similar sweat as the late fifties/early sixties ones, but the same liner as some of the mid sixties ones (62-66 from what I've been able to date).

billyspew said:
That helps the dating, similar sweat as the late fifties/early sixties ones, but the same liner as some of the mid sixties ones (62-66 from what I've been able to date).

The Crosley is priced at $7.95 where as the Pacesetter is $20.00. For that time period was the Pacesetter top of the line for Adam?

billyspew

One Too Many
mayserwegener said:
The Crosley is priced at $7.95 where as the Pacesetter is $20.00. For that time period was the Pacesetter top of the line for Adam?

I have learnt to ignore the prices from the hats in the johnnyphi collection.

Those price tags i have only seen in his hats, ones I have won on ebay have different style tags and one of the johnnyphi's has a remnant of what looks like a similar one to that I've seen in others. My suspicion in this matter is that Herschs at some point tried to sell them off at a much later date and printed new tags for them. The printing on the tags even look much newer - similar to dot matrix technology used from the '70s onwards. Rather than factory printed tags.

I have seen that price tag on hats that are seemingly (from liner/sweat etc) certainly not sixties

In 1962 for instance the pacesetter was still 9.95, I cannot find anything in the '60s that over 11.95.

Of course I'm not saying this is accurate, but from all the pieces I currently have in place that seems the case.

billyspew said:

Those price tags i have only seen in his hats, ones I have won on ebay have different style tags and one of the johnnyphi's has a remnant of what looks like a similar one to that I've seen in others. My suspicion in this matter is that Herschs at some point tried to sell them off at a much later date and printed new tags for them. The printing on the tags even look much newer - similar to dot matrix technology used from the '70s onwards. Rather than factory printed tags.

I have seen that price tag on hats that are seemingly (from liner/sweat etc) certainly not sixties

In 1962 for instance the pacesetter was still 9.95, I cannot find anything in the '60s that over 11.95.

Of course I'm not saying this is accurate, but from all the pieces I currently have in place that seems the case.

That makes sense. I have similar quality hats from the same time and they are in the $10.00 range.

Adam Pacesetter Graphite

Here is the last one from JohnnyPhi, Adam Pacesetter, Premier Quality, size 7 3/8 LO, color graphite. It had the plastic liner behind the sweet that shrunk. I was able to remove it and the hat is fine now. Looks slighter older than the Pacesetter I posted earlier in the thread. This one is going to a friend.

3767155096_a85bb22ef4_b.jpg

3766357671_a0711daf0a_b.jpg

3767155264_09843e6217_b.jpg

3766357841_55fe05de8e_b.jpg

3766357895_50aab5e80d_b.jpg

3767155462_d918098d8e_b.jpg

3766358053_6c48d24008_b.jpg

3766358133_5ca4f22fee_b.jpg

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Guaranteed WWII-era...

funneman said:

Awesome hat! With the Ceiling Price tag, you have 99% confirmation that this hat dates back to WWII, or very shortly there after.

Ceiling Prices were mandated by law during the war. Retailers couldn't sell items for more than the ceiling price listed on the tag. (I learned about it from Mr. Cohen, and details were confirmed on other threads by Baron Kurtz.)

Where did you find the hat?

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Don't disregard the power of the dot matrix price tag...

billyspew said:

I feel your pain. Adam hats prices and styles seem to be all over the place, but so are all of the other brands. I have to (carefully) disagree with your suspicion about the re-printed price tags on the Adam hats. (Don't want to offend a great customer.)

Here's the thing... Hirsch's Mens Store wasn't big on running sales or promotions. If items didn't sell on the retail floor, they stashed the inventory upstairs to storage. Mr. Cohen wasn't the kind of guy who would print new price tags to try to move unsold merchandise. To be blunt, he wouldn't have spent the extra money to print the new price tags.

However, y'all are definitely on to something. Many of these hats are called "Premier" or "Premier Executive", and I think they are newer than the "Executive" quality hats. Based on the styling and production quality, the Executives are oldest, Premier Executive was a transitional name, and Premier was the final name. Based on my conversations with Mr. Cohen, he stopped selling hats when they went out of style, which was sometime in the mid-late 60s. (Small town men's store = trend follower, not trend setter) He had a few trendy corduroy hats and other fad hats from the late 70s and early 80s, but none of the felt hats from his inventory date past the late 60's and early 70's. You won't find the dot matrix-style price tags in the older hats. Those labels are direct from the factory, and I'm confident because many of the newer hats were in the original boxes with the original packing materials.

Final thought... I'm grateful for the fact that Hirsch's wasn't big on liquidating unsold inventory. That's how we ended up with a "treasure trove"!

billyspew

One Too Many
johnnyphi said:
I feel your pain. Adam hats prices and styles seem to be all over the place, but so are all of the other brands. I have to (carefully) disagree with your suspicion about the re-printed price tags on the Adam hats. (Don't want to offend a great customer.)

Here's the thing... Hirsch's Mens Store wasn't big on running sales or promotions. If items didn't sell on the retail floor, they stashed the inventory upstairs to storage. Mr. Cohen wasn't the kind of guy who would print new price tags to try to move unsold merchandise. To be blunt, he wouldn't have spent the extra money to print the new price tags.

However, y'all are definitely on to something. Many of these hats are called "Premier" or "Premier Executive", and I think they are newer than the "Executive" quality hats. Based on the styling and production quality, the Executives are oldest, Premier Executive was a transitional name, and Premier was the final name. Based on my conversations with Mr. Cohen, he stopped selling hats when they went out of style, which was sometime in the mid-late 60s. (Small town men's store = trend follower, not trend setter) He had a few trendy corduroy hats and other fad hats from the late 70s and early 80s, but none of the felt hats from his inventory date past the late 60's and early 70's. You won't find the dot matrix-style price tags in the older hats. Those labels are direct from the factory, and I'm confident because many of the newer hats were in the original boxes with the original packing materials.

Final thought... I'm grateful for the fact that Hirsch's wasn't big on liquidating unsold inventory. That's how we ended up with a "treasure trove"!

Acknowledged, did however check one of the hats (one of yours ;) ) and it indeed has a factory price tag under the sweatband of $7.50, while the big printed label says $20. If he was marking them up that much, I'm sure that's why they remained unsold!

I will however incorporate the details of Hirsch's into my research, so thank you very much!

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Interesting!

billyspew said:
Acknowledged, did however check one of the hats (one of yours ;) ) and it indeed has a factory price tag under the sweatband of $7.50, while the big printed label says $20. If he was marking them up that much, I'm sure that's why they remained unsold!

I will however incorporate the details of Hirsch's into my research, so thank you very much!

Hmmm... I can honestly say that I didn't find anything like that during the inventory process. Are you talking about the $20 price tag with gold trim along the edges? Some of those came loose pretty easily, so maybe they migrated from another hat during the inventory. In my experience, those gold $20 tags were usually on "Premier" hats.

billyspew

One Too Many
johnnyphi said:
Hmmm... I can honestly say that I didn't find anything like that during the inventory process. Are you talking about the $20 price tag with gold trim along the edges? Some of those came loose pretty easily, so maybe they migrated from another hat during the inventory. In my experience, those gold $20 tags were usually on "Premier" hats.

Thats the one:
3315133398_039d8fa82b.jpg

Don't have the picture of the tag under the sweat at the moment though. It is attached to the sweat as well - so I don't think it migrated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot