Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Addict clothes leather vs Lewis leathers

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Their “tight” fit doesn’t mean slim. It’s Engrish for Japanese fashion fit.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
My recommendation is to get to a place you could try them on, which may be difficult to do if you are based in North America. I've never handled either of these manufacturer's jackets so cannot personally comment on impressions. LL do have a substantial history, so there's that, but recent price increases and "cold, lifeless" looking leathers (on recent jackets) have rather turned me off from that maker as a viable option.

leathermilitia

New in Town
My recommendation is to get to a place you could try them on, which may be difficult to do if you are based in North America. I've never handled either of these manufacturer's jackets so cannot personally comment on impressions. LL do have a substantial history, so there's that, but recent price increases and "cold, lifeless" looking leathers (on recent jackets) have rather turned me off from that maker as a viable option.
theres some stockists in california for both brands. IDK if they'd have the full suite of all their offerings though.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
^^ If you have a way to visit these, may be worth calling ahead (physically call the store and ask what they have In Stock - not what the website says) and try a few out.

leathermilitia

New in Town
^^ If you have a way to visit these, may be worth calling ahead (physically call the store and ask what they have In Stock - not what the website says) and try a few out.
yeah I might, also an addict stockist in seattle where I live off and on so i'll probably try that first depending on their pricing.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Western dealers always charges about $500 more than if you buy direct from Japan. That's just the way business is. But sometimes if you import it yourself, depending on the broker, you may get hit with an up to $200 bill for taxes and brokerage fees. It would still be less than buying through the local dealer. But the local dealer did bring them in for you to be able to try on in person so there is also that. The major advantage of going to try it in person is so you know exactly how it will fit, that is a priceless advantage on its own. Picking the right size is always 90% of the battle...

MickeyPunch

Familiar Face
I haven’t handled a LL (logo is a deal breaker) but I’m very happy with my Addict AD-01 in horse leather.

Leather felt a bit underwhelming at first but it’s grown on me. They apparently switched tanneries (for horsehide at least) 3 years ago or so, I don’t know how it was before. Also from watching a few videos about the guy behind the brand it’s clear to me that he loves sheepskin and worked with a tannery to get a result similar to vintage LL, and he offers horsehide because there’s a lot of demand from customers.

I wish my jacket was a bit shorter though, as I prefer shorter jackets. I asked whether they’d do custom lengths and apparently it’s something they do only once a year and last year it was around June so the next opportunity might be around the corner.

Aloysius

Addict Clothes embodies contemporary urban fashion with innovative designs and quality craftsmanship, while Lewis Leathers celebrates tradition and heritage, crafting timeless pieces rooted in British motorcycle culture. Choose Addict for modernity and innovation, Lewis for timeless elegance and heritage craftsmanship.

Reads like AI. A quick glance shows other posts by this account to be similar. A bot?

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Addict Clothes embodies contemporary urban fashion with innovative designs and quality craftsmanship, while Lewis Leathers celebrates tradition and heritage, crafting timeless pieces rooted in British motorcycle culture. Choose Addict for modernity and innovation, Lewis for timeless elegance and heritage craftsmanship.

I DO like Addict (as evidenced by my contribution to this thread), but this is hard to understand.
Addict copied patterns from LL, Belstaff and Barbour, so they are all about execution and absolutely nothing about „modernity and innovation“.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Hello, Large Language Model. You sound a bit mechanical and repetitive. But I am sure your algorithm can be tweaked.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
example? I used to have an ac/dc rag british biker jacket clone from japan that was sold to be "tight" fitted and it did just that.

Ideological bias aside, the LL “tight” fit has an elongated body for the same P2P.

This of course is nothing to frown upon, but just a nod towards clothing preferences for those who feel that tall, slim guys deserve a bit more length without having to go for a boxy fit.
Thurstom Bros. does it as a default option for Vanson stock sizes, a large German retailer for LL only offers the “T” fit, and Y2 offers their Double-Rider in two lengths for each stock size.

Different strokes for different folks, unless your part of the elite group that is “in the know”. ;)

leathermilitia

New in Town
Ideological bias aside, the LL “tight” fit has an elongated body for the same P2P.

This of course is nothing to frown upon, but just a nod towards clothing preferences for those who feel that tall, slim guys deserve a bit more length without having to go for a boxy fit.
Thurstom Bros. does it as a default option for Vanson stock sizes, a large German retailer for LL only offers the “T” fit, and Y2 offers their Double-Rider in two lengths for each stock size.

Different strokes for different folks, unless your part of the elite group that is “in the know”. ;)
Sounds like I should opt for an AD-02L from addict then in a smaller size.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Sounds like I should opt for an AD-02L from addict then in a smaller size.

I can’t comment on the right fit for you. My rule of thumb would be

- LL fits pretty much true to size.
- for Addict I would size up one (and end up with a slightly larger fit than the LL)
- I would look at the “T” fit from LL if I am of slender build OR just want more length in the torso (because I wer low rise trousers or want my belt covered at all times).

leathermilitia

New in Town
I can’t comment on the right fit for you. My rule of thumb would be

- LL fits pretty much true to size.
- for Addict I would size up one (and end up with a slightly larger fit than the LL)
- I would look at the “T” fit from LL if I am of slender build OR just want more length in the torso (because I wer low rise trousers or want my belt covered at all times).
there ad-02L is longer in the torso than the rest, so sounds like LLs "t" fit as you describe it.

Aloysius

example? I used to have an ac/dc rag british biker jacket clone from japan that was sold to be "tight" fitted and it did just that.

I didn't say that all Japanese shops use Engrish in the same way. LL's means smaller shoulders and a wider hem. This might work for some people, but I wouldn't call it a tight/slim fit.

There are Japanese jeans I own that are labeled "tight fit" but are wide straight legs. (A friend had to explain this to me; to be clear I prefer straight legs.)

There's nothing ideological about it. I don't have a problem with a Lightning being long for instance given that's the point of the style. There's nothing wrong with the fit itself, either; the issue is the "T" fit makes the hem wider, so it's exactly the wrong fit for slim guys. A lot of people might end up about to order it thinking it'll have a snug hem so it's worth flagging for them.

The reason it exists, I think, is because LL in Japan does not offer MTM customisation like HQ in London does, so you have to choose between a stock size in one of those two fits, but the salesmen really push T. So my Japanese friends who've shopped there, tall slim guys all of them, were talked into the T fit. But upon getting it the hem was way too wide and couldn't change for the original. I know one of them ended up finding a leather tailor to make the hem tapered instead of flared.

there ad-02L is longer in the torso than the rest, so sounds like LLs "t" fit as you describe it.

Not quite.

MickeyPunch

Familiar Face
Standard lengths are pretty long already, like 26in back (the AD-01 has a back drop though, not sure about the AD-02). Unless someone’s 6’3 or above I wouldn’t go with the long version.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I didn't say that all Japanese shops use Engrish in the same way. LL's means smaller shoulders and a wider hem. This might work for some people, but I wouldn't call it a tight/slim fit.

There are Japanese jeans I own that are labeled "tight fit" but are wide straight legs. (A friend had to explain this to me; to be clear I prefer straight legs.)

There's nothing ideological about it. I don't have a problem with a Lightning being long for instance given that's the point of the style. There's nothing wrong with the fit itself, either; the issue is the "T" fit makes the hem wider, so it's exactly the wrong fit for slim guys. A lot of people might end up about to order it thinking it'll have a snug hem so it's worth flagging for them.

The reason it exists, I think, is because LL in Japan does not offer MTM customisation like HQ in London does, so you have to choose between a stock size in one of those two fits, but the salesmen really push T. So my Japanese friends who've shopped there, tall slim guys all of them, were talked into the T fit. But upon getting it the hem was way too wide and couldn't change for the original. I know one of them ended up finding a leather tailor to make the hem tapered instead of flared.

Not quite.

AFAIK, the hem is exactly the same in the „T“ as in the regular fit. Of course, it will look different, if the hem sits on the hip and not above.

The Lightning is a boxy fit without any taper. Of course, it looks dramatically different than a V-shaped jacket like the classic Perfecto or else. It doesn’t have an A-shape either, „T“ or not.

Aloysius

AFAIK, the hem is exactly the same in the „T“ as in the regular fit. Of course, it will look different, if the hem sits on the hip and not above.

That's what I thought, but Lewis Japan told my friend in Tokyo that the T widens the hem (unfortunately after he'd received the jacket).

The Lightning is a boxy fit without any taper. Of course, it looks dramatically different than a V-shaped jacket like the classic Perfecto or else. It doesn’t have an A-shape either, „T“ or not.

Yeah, I know about the Lightning's boxy tube fit of course. It's iconic in its own way.

Edward

Bartender

I'm sure I remember reading that at least at one point Thurston also specced all their stock Aeros 1" longer in the body than Aero's norm. This may of course have changed, but if memory serves correctly it was to do with many of their customers riding bike that involved a crouched, racing-type ride position, in which a short jacket can ride up and expose the lower back. Chilly, and not helpful in an off. Similar reason Lewis responded to the then growing popularity of Japanese racing bikes in the UK when they introduced the Supermonza in the late 70s, with a markedly longer body than had previously been the case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart