Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adding stiffener to a straw hat

theoldnorthwest

Familiar Face
Hat Shaping

Hello,

I would like to reshape an old Shantung straw hat and was wondering if anyone knew what kind of solution is best for stiffening the hat. Ideally I could get something that could also be used on fur felt hats as well. I have a steamer and an old hat block. One thing about the block I did not realize is that you need to get one that is a size smaller than you wear to avoid having to remove the sweat band. I bought the block at an estate sale so I did not pay a lot but I need to find a smaller one, can't seem to find the right size on ebay. I saw a hat stiffener on amazon but have also heard that spray starch works just as well. Anyone have any experience reshaping old hats?

Mark G

A-List Customer
You can use any shellac based stiffener on straw. It is nothing more than a blonde shellac dissolved in alcohol.

The shantung "straw" is really paper coated with lacquer and reshapes pretty easily.

Jomodad

New in Town
I am pretty sure you just flip the hat band down. If it is old,it could be an issue. But if its that old replacing it is probably best. If the hat is bad enough the best way is to remove the band. I have use PVA to stiffen straw especially paper straw. I have been told a fabric stiffener called Stiffy works but I am pretty sure that is best for a starting from scratch. Beware that Shellack will color the straw.

eqyryquz.jpg

Are we having fun yet?

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Beware that Shellack will color the straw.

Beware that shellac is different things. Mark G mentions "blond shellac" - a filtered shellac, used by cabinetmakers and luthiers for French polishing. It dries almost clear, but will get a weak yellowish tint over longer time. Unfiltered shellac will on the other hand color the straw significantly

HardHeartHats

Familiar Face
I really like Stiffen Stuff Spray. The sprayer bottle it comes in isn't fab - I switched it out to a better bottle that had a mist option. Use as many coats as you need. I just stiffened the Parasisal hat below with three mists of it and its holding its shape beautiful, and it didn't effect the very light colored straw in the least. It's under $10 on Amazon.

6a7age3u.jpg

u2ezevuz.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

brogue

New in Town
How stiffen brim on carta straw hat

I have an expensive straw hat whose label says carta straw. The brim has become floppy. Steaming didn't help. Suggestions to keep the brim from flopping down? I Google searched and found info on stiffening felt hats, but not so much on straws.

DaveSobel

New in Town
I’ve recently been working with some Panama straw bodies, and I find a couple light coats of clear spray shellac makes for a very nice stiffness that holds shape, but doesn’t make the hats crispy. I used milliners spray sizing at first, and won’t ever use it again. It was foul, and even after it had dried, the fumes gave me a headache when I steamed the hat to shape it. A thinned mixture of casein (white) glue wiped on with a sponge would also probably make for a nice flexible stiffener.

Mustang Mike's Hats

A-List Customer
Even though we love our straws, consider that the original design use was a hat with a relatively short lifespan. There are others here with a wider range of experience, mine being limited to Shantung, Bangora, and Palm. That said, the first two aren't really straw, but rather a type of paper yarn material. Palm will take and hold a shape and I have had years of use from my palm leaf straw hats. The first two were made to last about a year of continual use before replacement.

DaveSobel

New in Town
Even though we love our straws, consider that the original design use was a hat with a relatively short lifespan. There are others here with a wider range of experience, mine being limited to Shantung, Bangora, and Palm. That said, the first two aren't really straw, but rather a type of paper yarn material. Palm will take and hold a shape and I have had years of use from my palm leaf straw hats. The first two were made to last about a year of continual use before replacement.
The paper straws are definitely not meant to last, but the natural stuff definitely does, and was originally meant to last. The amount of work that goes into the prep of real straw is much to intensive for it to have been a throwaway item before mass production. I had a palm straw hat from the 50’s or ealy sixties I bought at a yard sale in the 80’s that got worn regularly, and was one of my go-to rain hats that was still in great shape when I lost it in an unfortunate move about 6yrs ago.

Reactions: RJR

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner