Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adventure! Fedora Lounge Folks in Action!

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Big Man,

I might suggest these folks for som pretty accurate reproduction clothing for the look you are after.

http://www.quartermasterdepot.com

Also for gear Jerry Lee and What Price Glory is turning out some nice late 19th, early 20th centhey accoutrements. Like haversacks, leather gear, etc. I have one of his 1878 haversacks and they are skookum!

Thanks, Renault. I've done business with both these companies before and they do have some very nice things. Too bad the shirts and pants are made for small people. :) I need to check to see if they will custom make some of their clothing in a real man's size. :)

Renault

One Too Many
While I have mucho time here at the place, I have been acquiring and perfecting what I call
My perfect outdoors kit. Clothes, accoutrements, camping gear, weaponry, cutlery, the whole works. When presentable I will post some photos. Probably in the adventure gear thread below.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
While I have mucho time here at the place, I have been acquiring and perfecting what I call
My perfect outdoors kit. Clothes, accoutrements, camping gear, weaponry, cutlery, the whole works. When presentable I will post some photos. Probably in the adventure gear thread below.

I will look forward to seeing that, Renault!

Big Man

Should be some good photos. I'll be waiting to see them.

Big Man

... My perfect outdoors kit. Clothes, accoutrements, camping gear, weaponry, cutlery, the whole works. ...

Renault, we need to take another trip in East Texas, but this time in the late 19th/early 20th century instead of the 18th century. After all, it's only been 18 years since the last time we went on an adventure together.

Renault

One Too Many
Yes. I can't plan anything now. Hopefully when all this mess settles I can start hitting the trail again. Would love to meet some of my compadres in the northern Gila end of July. But just can't plan on it. Heck I know lots of places out west to go. Even have a cabin in Colorado I haven't seen since 2013! 300 yards from Colorado River!!! Stuck here on the place!

Oh well. It will eventually get better!
Last year in the Gila!

Big Man

Yes. I can't plan anything now. Hopefully when all this mess settles I can start hitting the trail again. Would love to meet some of my compadres in the northern Gila end of July. But just can't plan on it. Heck I know lots of places out west to go. Even have a cabin in Colorado I haven't seen since 2013! 300 yards from Colorado River!!! Stuck here on the place!

Oh well. It will eventually get better!
Last year in the Gila!

Great photo. Is that a SAW campaign shirt?

Renault

One Too Many
Well,,,,, not really. Many places advertise it as a Rough Rider shirt. It's not what was worn in Cuba. It a modern take on a Vintage design. Simple a cotton pull over shirt. Fits the time period as a civilian shirt.

The wool campaign shirt is what was worn by the rank and file.

Big Man

Well,,,,, not really. Many places advertise it as a Rough Rider shirt. It's not what was worn in Cuba. It a modern take on a Vintage design. Simple a cotton pull over shirt. Fits the time period as a civilian shirt.

The wool campaign shirt is what was worn by the rank and file.

It's a sharp looking shirt. Can't tell the difference from the photo. I have an old photo of my wife's grandfather taken around 1910 or so when he was a surveyor. His clothing looked almost identical to what you have on, right down to the hat. That shirt pattern must have been popular with not only the military, but civilian use as well.

Is the shirt you are wearing from one of the sources you quoted a couple posts above or somewhere else?

fireman

One of the Regulars
Thanks, Renault. I've done business with both these companies before and they do have some very nice things. Too bad the shirts and pants are made for small people. :) I need to check to see if they will custom make some of their clothing in a real man's size. :)

Coon Creek also makes some nice stuff for a reasonable price. They probably can do the larger sizes...lotta big cowboy action shooters.

I think that Wild West Merchantile sells a pretty nice wool campaign shirt. About $80 IIRC.

Renault

One Too Many
Big Man,

Just about everybody that sells cowboy action stuff sells this shirt. It is one of 3 items I've purchased from River Junction. And as Fireman suggested I believe Coon Creek sells the same shirt. Many advertise it as their "Rough Rider" shirt.
And you are correct this style is a basic period shirt design. Like a work shirt. Simple and plain!

Renault

One Too Many
And yes! Wild West Mercantile, (who came highly recommended to me) have this same type of shirt. I recently ordered from WWM and their customer service was first rate! I would order from them again!

I think they call it a rough rider shirt too. Can't really remember. And they are not too expensive. Like $40 I think?

Big Man

Thanks, all, for the suggestions on the shirt. I'll have to check out these places and see if they can fit me. It would have to be at least a XXXXL in a tall to make sure.

fireman

One of the Regulars
Big Man,

Just about everybody that sells cowboy action stuff sells this shirt. It is one of 3 items I've purchased from River Junction. And as Fireman suggested I believe Coon Creek sells the same shirt. Many advertise it as their "Rough Rider" shirt.
And you are correct this style is a basic period shirt design. Like a work shirt. Simple and plain!

River Junction is the one with the wool shirt...Thanks for posting it! I could not remember who sold it. I should order one.

Renault

One Too Many
Big Man,

Appears Jerry at WPG may have a few of these left. I didn't even know he had em. Must have just got them and they appear to be going fast! I ordered one yesterday for my "perfect hunting outfit".

http://onlinemilitaria.net/products/5787-US-Model-1885-Blue-Wool-Campaign-Shirt/

I dunno if he has anything that might fit you but worth a look.(and I say that in the most complementary way old friend!),

Last edited:

Big Man

Big Man,

Appears Jerry at WPG may have a few of these left. I didn't even know he had em. Must have just got them and they appear to be going fast! I ordered one yesterday for my "perfect hunting outfit".

http://onlinemilitaria.net/products/5787-US-Model-1885-Blue-Wool-Campaign-Shirt/

I dunno if he has anything that might fit you but worth a look.(and I say that in the most complementary way old friend!),

Thanks. I'll give it a look and see if they have any "men's" sizes. :)

Big Man

I went out today to do a little exploring. I was looking for the site of the old Piedmont Springs Hotel on Upper Creek. The Piedmont Springs Hotel opened in the 1850s, and saw its heyday in the 1870s, '80s, and '90s. There were several of these "resorts" in the area at around that time. The old Piedmont Springs Hotel washed away in the great flood of 1916.

Quite by accident about 20 years ago, I discovered some remains of the old hotel when on a lost person search with Emergency Management. That was the last time I was in the immediate area till today. Everything had changed and I didn't recognize much (surprise, surprise after 20 years), till I ran across what was left of this old bridge. I remembered it from the last time I was there, and 20 years ago walked across the bridge. Today, 20 years later and about 100 pounds heavier, I decided it was best to find a better way across.

Big Man

After looking at some of the sites Renault directed me, I decided to give a try to the "Rough Rider" shirt that River Junction offered. The largest size they had is a XXXL, which will fit (although a XXXXL would be better). But, for less than $40 I figured what the heck. The shirt is all cotton, and appears to be well constructed. I intend to give it a good work-out in the woods and on the trail this summer. Now, all I have to do is decide what I need next, a pair of leggins or a new SAW era campaign hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR