Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adventure Reading

cptnapalm

New in Town
While reading the long running Adventure Gear thread, it put me in mind to make a post regarding adventure reading.

I highly recommend 'Mad Mike' Hoare's works. He has lived as adventuresome a life as any man living: a soldier in the British army during the Second World War, a motorcyclist who rode from South Africa to Egypt in the 50s, a mercenary leader in the Congo in the 60s where he was given his nickname, a sailor on his own ship with his family as crew for three years.

His books chronicling those adventures are concise rather than bloated. His style informs the readers without drowning them in verbiage. His sense of humor tends to self-effacement, though the foibles of others are not ignored. While obviously a well educated man, his displays are for the purpose of enhancing the reader's enjoyment.

Like many of the residents of the Lounge, he too looked to the past as a nourishing wellspring. In his most recent book, "Mike Hoare's Adventures in Africa", his fascination with the great 19th century explorers is most obvious. Released only this year, the author is, I believe, 92 and his writing has more agility than author's a third of his age.

Decodence

A-List Customer
Reading this right now. Pretty good:

51M6XX3C34L._bL160_.jpg

Also, anything from H R Haggard

conrad5157

One of the Regulars
Excellent idea for a thread.
I Wonder if this would get more replies if it was in the Great Outdoors forum?

I read this last summer, highly recommended:

51MBVsThL__SS500_.jpg

Last edited:

Unlucky Berman

One of the Regulars
I was rereading lately some book of my youth. Die Reise nach Südamerika from Alexander von Humboldt. I am not sure what the name of a translation in English is, but I think there was more than one made of his books. This book based upon his diary and it is intresting to read. Some time ago I also saw a docu in TV where two traveled "in his footsteps" and it was sometimes amazing and even horrific how the areas changed over the last 200 years (most times to become worse due to gold mining and other extreme things).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran