Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on a Zenith 18K gold cushion faced watch (circa 1919).

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
Hi all,
I've been left a Zenith Cushion Face watch Circa 1919. Its in great condition with a blemish free face and the original glass and case (the case is 18k gold). The only flaw is a cheap strap and a small pinhole in the gold case. I took it to a horologist (?) in Melbourne Australia who advised me that the movement was in good condition as was the mainspring and it only really need a clean, polished case and the pinhole repaired (via laser). I will try and post some pictures if I can figure out how to pot them.

What kind of value would there be on such a watch? The horologist has quoted me $750 AUD ($740 american) and I'm wondering if its worth getting it fixed and possibly selling it as there is no real sentimental value in it.

Regards

Flashy

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hey Flash,

"Value" and "worth" are INCREDIBLY subjective words. I would caution you against using them. What an object's 'value' is changes every single hour of the day. An object's 'value' is whatever someone is willing to pay for it. To find that out, search eBay for similar watches in similar conditions, and see what they're selling for.

And I think you mean a "watchmaker", not necessarily a horologist.

When you say he's quoted you $740...is that $740 the value that he's put on the watch? Or is that a quote for REPAIRS? If it's for repairs, I'd grab the watch and run. No watch-repair should be that expensive! Unless it's something super-special, like a Patek Philippe Cal. 89!

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
Thanks for the response Shangas. Sorry about my original post, it was made on the Ballarat train ans was a bit clumsy.
The $740 was for the repairs alone. I think he was quoting $350 to clean the movement and the rest was for the hole in the case. Apparently the hole an only be repaired by using a laser as anything else would just melt the wafer thin case. He also offered to purchase the watch so I don't know if he was trying to work a number on me?
We,re in the same area Shangas, can you recommend a good quality watchmaker to get the watch in order? It really is a beautiful piece and it seems a shame not to get some use out of it.

Flashy

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hi,

$740 is the kind of money I'd use to buy TWO watches AND get them both serviced! That's a ridiculous amount of money. I'd be running faster than a guy with his ass on fire if someone quoted me that kind of money!

There are a number of good watchmakers in Melbourne. There's Brown's Jewellers and Watchmakers, Camberwell Arcade on Burke Road, Camberwell. Their shop-sign proudly proclaims service since 1924.

There's Ekselman Watches at 209 Elizabeth Street, opposite the GPO. I've never had anything serviced by them, but they have a wide range of clocks, pocketwatches, wristwatches, and associated accessories. The chap behind the counter seems to be a decent sort of fellow. Their service-record extends back to the 1940s, apparently.

And about a block or two down the road from Ekselman's is the Watch Gallery. You might walk right past it. It's a TINY little shop. It's just a door and two windows. It's run by a chap named Chris. He contracts the work out to a friend of his who is a professional vintage watchmaker (I've looked this guy up. He's got a business way out on the edge of town!! The only way you can get there is by train or car, and it's a LONG ride).

My experience with Chris at the Watch Gallery has always been good. He's a friendly chap and while the prices are a tad steep (hey, these things were never gonna be cheap, right?), the quality of service is second-to-none. His friend can do almost anything. He's serviced every single one of the pocketwatches that I've sent him, and they've always come back perfect. The price he usually quotes me is $300. I know that might sound steep, but I've never had a half-baked servicing from this shop. And it's less than half of the $740 that you were gonna pay!

Based purely on my experience, I would suggest either the Watch Gallery, or Ekselman's Watches. The Watch Gallery has a website, if you're looking for more information.

www.thewatchgallery.com.au

Drop Chris an email about your watch and see if he can help you. I've never yet heard him say "no". He's very prompt with his emails. Usually within 24 hours, you should get a reply. If, on the off-chance, he should ask you who recommended his shop, tell him it was Shahan. He knows who I am by now.

Oh, by the way: Don't expect this thing to happen in a week. I've never known Chris to have a watch sent off, serviced, and back in his shop in anything faster than three weeks. It usually takes about a month.

Last edited:

Talbot

One Too Many
Flashy

How about those pics? Zenith are a premium brand, and appearance and attractiveness can have a lot to do with asking price. Depending on how big the hole is, and where it is, it may be more attractive to potential buyers in original condition.

There are so many franken watches out there that originality can be more highly valued than it working.

I agree with Shangas, Watch gallery are good - a friend of mine even had some IWC rose gold buckles cast by them. Nice work.

Ekselman are okaaaaay with mechanical movements but not in the same league as Watch Gallery. I go to a private guy, but he's doing a lot of resto work for Seiko these days so mates rates put me at the back of the queue!

Name can have a lot to do with repair costs. A while ago I took a beater (Astin) to Eksleman and he quoted me $80 to service it. I took an Omega to him later and he quoted me $250. I asked him why the difference and he told me it was because Omega are a more expensive brand!

Have a hunt about on eBay to get a handle on value. Items such as wristwatches sell and ship easily to the US and UK.

Good luck and get those pics up!

Last edited:

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
My two cents.
A general cleaning and timing on a average (big range) should be 40-100 dollars US.
As for the market value, most people today want a watch that is 35 mm. or larger in diameter measured w/o the winding crown.
To the untrained eye, watches from 1920-1950 may appear to be made for (size) women today.
That may change in the future but, the current trend is toward large watches.
In most cases dress wrist watches prior to the 1960's were 28-34 mm.
A word of caution, a auction for a really large dress watch from this era may be misleading high as a gauge regarding price. Therefore look at the size when you see a watch like yours sell for big money.

Imho wrist watches smaller than 35mm. very rarely bring the bidders on eb-screw unless they are the Rolls Royce watch names: Patek, Vacheron, Corum, etc.
So take your time get it running, and see if keeps good enough time to be a daily wearer. Then go from their.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925