Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on choosing a vintage style or decade.

P

Paul

Please forgive me for intruding into your powder room.I thought you would be just the right ladies to ask for your advice.

What I would like to do is put together a complete out fit from just one decade from head to toe so to speak and every thing in between.
The question for me is which decade to choose ?
I feel now that I do not just want a nice collection packed away to look at and admire, but also to experience more fully what vintage fashion was like to wear.

I know this question sounds a little stupid, hopefully will not offend any of you as it's not intended to do,
Any advice would be very helpful as to the decade or style of fashion so that I could get the best insight I can as to what it was like to wear vintage.
Your help would be most gratefully received.
Thanking you all in advance
Paul.... a vintage fashion collector.

magneto

Practically Family
Hi,
You would probably get a good answer posting in the "Suits" or "General Attire" threads; the fellows there know their stuff. Perhaps post a more detailed message when you do: i.e. what is your "shape"; what sort of silhouette do you prefer ('30s flare or '50 streamlined?) etc., will be helpful in making recommendations.
Hope this helps!

P

Paul

maisie said:
The 40's!!:D
The fashions were SO stylish, tailored and smart!

Thanks for that tip I do like smart, but tailored! my waist is not what it should be ,I will look through my books at the 40's most defiantly.
I did think late 50's and 60 is ok but in a way very near to what is on the high street today.
So I thought i would ask this question , 20's is great but clothes are very pricey and fragile;)
Thanks Paul.

V For Vixen

New in Town
Hiya Paul

I bet your waist is there somewhere!! You're being modest!!!

I'm pretty - erm..... "voluptuous" - ahem :eek: - so after years of struggling and breaking my heart over 40s fashions I've sort of drifted into late 40s (New Look) and early 50s - with the waspie waists etc.

I've got a small waist in comparison to my bust and hips, so find the cuts suit me rather more than the 40s garments. I still get to indulge my passion for f/f stockings, ankle straps and fabulous bags and hats!!

If, like you say, your waist is not quite so pronounced, then how about the 1920s?? The drop waists and more fluid lines, and perhaps the bias cuts of the early 30s are a bit more forgiving on such a figure, I think????

Good Luck!!

Vix
xxx

P

Paul

Unfortunately I am not been modest about by waist line , straight up and down (B39 ,W40 ,H39), How I wish that I could get into a nice tailored 50's suite, but alas no!
The 20's I love the stles very much but not the price! The 30's could be a option I can look into .. even a diet has not worked but here to hoping . Thanks.. Paul
Ps the 60's are a better fit but not as exiting styles to wear.

Louise Anne

Suspended
I started this thread almost 4 years ago without having any vintage clothes to wear, time moved on and I now several outfits.
Thing is I planning to have a professional photographer take some photo next year and I tring to decide upon the look which suits me the best so i can just finish / work on that one.
Any thoughts would be greatfully acepted.

Image4-1.jpg

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
20's and 50's here myself......

the 60's outfits sort of emphasize a wider part of your thighs if i might be honest....and trust me...no lady wants that.....hehe I avoid shorter skirts for that same exact reason.

JupitersDarling

One of the Regulars
ditto on 20's bestest look. Looks awesome! I think the 1950's are the next best with the exception of C. MissNeecerie's right on about 60's lengths, but 50s C is not terribly flattering here either IMO, as the small cap sleeves both emphasize the arms and allow the eye to wander down to visually wider parts (plus the color washes you out!)

Louise Anne

Suspended
Miss Neecerie said:
20's and 50's here myself......

the 60's outfits sort of emphasize a wider part of your thighs if i might be honest....and trust me...no lady wants that.....hehe I avoid shorter skirts for that same exact reason.

Yes you can be honest I do not mind that at all, I always do end up going back to the 20's so think says it all but it's nice to have it confirmed.

Thank you all for your advice/ opinion .

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I definitely like 1920's on you! I think I posted somewhere before how well that decade suits you lol

Speaking of suits, 1950's D looks smashing on you aswell, and I kind of like the 1960's! I avoid short skirts 'cause my knees aren't so great - most ladies here do, I believe. The tights look fab though!

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
Paul,

You know I fell hard for that flapper car coat the first time I saw it! That said, you rock the cloche hat too. My vote is Miss 1920 all the way!

I'll also go against opinion and say I like 1960's A look too. Might be the boots and the red hair. :)

For a photo op though, I think the Flapper look is just richer, more elegant and the accessories and overall "line" much more interesting than Miss 1960's look.

Lenore

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
Yet another vote for the '20s, and I especially like the '50s with the fur coat. Very elegant!

I'm voting with Lizzie! Both looks are fantastic! I also think that you look more comfortable in the first three pictures than the last. Keep it it, Paul. You look great!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Another vote for 20's! That look is just fab on you. The 60's A dress is cute, also. I think you have nice legs for the Mod look, but it's a completely different feel. Young, Mod, hip, rather than 20's refined and elegant. Is the hair you're wearing with the 20s outfit different from the 50's hair? It looks much darker. I think the 50's hair doesn't suit you as much as the 20's hair and the 60's hair. I think a stronger color suits your coloring better than the light brown. After seeing these pictures, I would not recommend a blond hair do, like you discussed in the other thread.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
kamikat said:
I think a stronger color suits your coloring better than the light brown. After seeing these pictures, I would not recommend a blond hair do, like you discussed in the other thread.

Same here - Platinum blonde may be alright, but darker reds and rich browns do so much more for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner