Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on reducing the smell of an old jacket?

Rawky

One of the Regulars
Hi all.

Just picked up an A2 style jacket (believe it's from the 80s). I ordered online and it just arrived today. Very happy with how it fits and looks. Probably one of the best fitting jackets I own.

Anyway, along with how well it fits, there is also the mustiest of musty smells. It's so strong that it made me feel a little queasy. Any advice on how to deal with this? I've just hung it outside for the meantime, but hoping there might be some handy tricks that you could share.

Cheers.

Peacoat

Bartender
Hi all.

Just picked up an A2 style jacket (believe it's from the 80s). I ordered online and it just arrived today. Very happy with how it fits and looks. Probably one of the best fitting jackets I own.

Anyway, along with how well it fits, there is also the mustiest of musty smells. It's so strong that it made me feel a little queasy. Any advice on how to deal with this? I've just hung it outside for the meantime, but hoping there might be some handy tricks that you could share.

Cheers.
Hi all.

Cheers.
There are several handy tricks listed earlier in the thread, but I think the best way is to use an ozone generator. Put it in a small enclosed room, run the generator for 20 minutes, wait an hour, open the doors and let the room air out for another hour while you aren't in it. Then take the jacket outside and let it air out.

May take two treatments, but the odor should be gone. Simple remedy for a smelly problem.

Rawky

One of the Regulars
There are several handy tricks listed earlier in the thread, but I think the best way is to use an ozone generator. Put it in a small enclosed room, run the generator for 20 minutes, wait an hour, open the doors and let the room air out for another hour while you aren't in it. Then take the jacket outside and let it air out.

May take two treatments, but the odor should be gone. Simple remedy for a smelly problem.

Great. Thanks @Peacoat.

One question, not sure if this is a lost in translation between the US and UK, but is an Ozone generator the same as a dehumidifier?

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Assuming it's not super fragile, I'd soak it in a bathtub over night with some mild soap/shampoo (all natural ingredients kind of thing). Maybe a couple changes of water. If it's that bad of a smell, just hanging it ain't going to do much.

You just have to be careful drying it so it doesn't shrink. Put in the spin cycle (again, assuming it's not super fragile) and then let air dry in a mild temp part of your house. Don't stuff into a closet though. Best it gets some light, just not direct sunlight.

Once fully dry, hit it with pecards or skidmore and then put into a black trash bag in the sun for a couple days (mentioned this on the other thread)

I picked up a similar Schott 164 or 174 from Japan recently and did all the above. It turned out gorgeous. Been waiting to post some WAYWT pics, but just been too damn hot.

Baking power indeed works but getting it off the jacket afterwards is a process on its own. Cover the leather entirely in baking powder and leave it outside for a few days.

Musty smell is much easier to get rid of than cigarette or cologne. Sun alone will take care of moldy odor within a week and after a month, you won't even remember the jacket ever had a problem.

The tub cleanse is really good. I like that.

I’ve also left it outside airing out for as long as possible. Some jackets over a month. Give it a little vinegar misting here and there. And wait. And wait. And one day…odors are totally gonzo. Then clean and condition. Some jackets I just leave airing out even though the smell is gone.

Thanks for your tips, everyone.

@TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead, the jacket is a little fragile I would say. It's slightly cracking in places, so would be a little hesitant to do the overnight soak technique.

Washing should always be a last resort. There are plenty of things to try beforehand. If all else fails then a cycle in a washing machine will do the trick. Gentle cycle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112