Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on which hat to wear with black tie please.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Which hat should I wear with black tie? I know a homburg is the correct hat, but the only one I have is a cheap wool felt one with a plastic sweatband which is far too large and not comfortable. I do not intend in investing another hat, nor would I like to go hatless, since I do have other hats.

The two hats I would consider wearing are:

a Bailey wool felt fedora (black, unlined with a cotton sweat band)

a Stetson Chatham (medium grey with black band, fully lined, leather sweat band)

The Bailey would seem logical because it is black, but the Stetson looks and feels nicer and is more formal.

Any advice on which one is best?

Thanks

Alan

nola89

Familiar Face
Go for the Stetson. Grey goes fine with black, otherwise your Stetson wouldn't have a black band. :D

The grey adds contrast as well.

Cody Pendant

One of the Regulars
Black on Black

Quoting myself from the above previous thread on the same topic:
Cody Pendant said:
May I suggest the following link, to an esteemed member of this forums web site, which is the most complete compilation of information known at this time on black tie:
http://www.blacktieguide.com/Vintage/Etiquette.htm
Please note that this is in the “Vintage Etiquette & Tradition” section, I suppose, as “hats” have become less than “de rigueur” in modern times..

Black for Black tie- homburg or fedora with my preference for the homburg.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the advice. I think I will then wear the Stetson. The Bailey is more my rain hat anyway, since I don't mind it getting wet and it has never let water through so far (and I have worn it in downpours).

Hal

Practically Family
avedwards said:
Thanks for the advice. I think I will then wear the Stetson. The Bailey is more my rain hat anyway, since I don't mind it getting wet and it has never let water through so far (and I have worn it in downpours).
In these circumstances I'd only wear a hat when also wearing an overcoat (which, in this season, you might be wearing in any case). This agrees with Mike in Seattle's point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24