Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero 1930's Half Belt Battered Seal Sz 42 Fit Check

MrSweetums

New in Town
Hey all, wondering if y’all could help me make a decision on this new Aero jacket I just received.

Overall, I really like the leather and most of the fit. From the front it looks spot on to me, but I have some doubts about the back.

As you can see, there’s some bunching happening around the shoulders and triceps. I’m not really sure if this is the result of just how stiff the leather currently is, but it seems to distort an otherwise nice silhouette.

What are your thoughts? Am I in my head? Will it loosen with time and be less noticeable as the leather wears in? I reached out to Aero with these pics and my measurements and they told me that as the jacket softens, it should drape more naturally, but I wanted to see if you all have any experience with something similar. They suggested I could go down to a size 40 if I wanted a slimmer fit, but honestly I think the front looks great. Don't really want to lose any length anywhere.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Here are my measurements:
-Height 5ft 11in
-41.5in Chest relaxed
-42.25in Chest expanded
-37.5in Stomach
-38.25in Waist (with belt)

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    828.9 KB · Views: 500
  • unnamed2.jpg
    unnamed2.jpg
    890.3 KB · Views: 489
  • unnamed3.jpg
    unnamed3.jpg
    800.7 KB · Views: 455

MrSweetums

New in Town
Hey thanks for the input! I was thinking that was likely the design decision. When this is zipped up, I still have pretty great mobility thanks to that extra space. Just hoping that as it wears in, the material sticks out less and lays against my body more.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Looks great don't over think it.

The batter seal HH has a spring back bounce to it that will relax over time.

I am very close to your size and have the button version of your jacket in FQHH (Maxwell). I don't think downsizing to 40 will work, as these jackets are already quite trim in the shoulders. And the creases in the curved sleeve will relax with just a few wears. The thing with Aero jackets is that they all need a bit of break in, but it only gets better.

IMG_4128.JPG

If you are looking for even slimmer fit there is the premier pattern (STF). But they are quite restrictive in movements. The 30s pattern is easier to wear for sure.

geedee

Familiar Face
Hey all, wondering if y’all could help me make a decision on this new Aero jacket I just received.

Overall, I really like the leather and most of the fit. From the front it looks spot on to me, but I have some doubts about the back.

As you can see, there’s some bunching happening around the shoulders and triceps. I’m not really sure if this is the result of just how stiff the leather currently is, but it seems to distort an otherwise nice silhouette.

What are your thoughts? Am I in my head? Will it loosen with time and be less noticeable as the leather wears in? I reached out to Aero with these pics and my measurements and they told me that as the jacket softens, it should drape more naturally, but I wanted to see if you all have any experience with something similar. They suggested I could go down to a size 40 if I wanted a slimmer fit, but honestly I think the front looks great. Don't really want to lose any length anywhere.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Here are my measurements:
-Height 5ft 11in
-41.5in Chest relaxed
-42.25in Chest expanded
-37.5in Stomach
-38.25in Waist (with belt)
stick with it buddy, you need that extra space in the back so that your shoulder blades and arms can move around. as someone on TFL says "just wear the piss out of it" and it's soon soften and drape on you beautifully. BTW can I ask is that the regular Aero 1950s Highwayman? And what leather is that?

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You’re definitely overthinking it. This is the worst it will ever look, it will only get better and better the more you break it in and the back will settle. Great fit!

jeo

One Too Many
You kidding me man, this fits great! As good as you're going to get on an Aero. I wouldn't size down if I were you.

Can we see a front pic unzipped?

MrSweetums

New in Town
You kidding me man, this fits great! As good as you're going to get on an Aero. I wouldn't size down if I were you.

Can we see a front pic unzipped?

Awesome. Thanks for chiming in. Definitely felt really good about it when I first got it, but the price tag has been making me make sure it’s absolutely perfect.

Here’s that pic.

Attachments

• BCB57D8B-F071-4455-AA2C-7948D815309C.jpeg
    BCB57D8B-F071-4455-AA2C-7948D815309C.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 429

MrSweetums

New in Town
stick with it buddy, you need that extra space in the back so that your shoulder blades and arms can move around. as someone on TFL says "just wear the piss out of it" and it's soon soften and drape on you beautifully. BTW can I ask is that the regular Aero 1950s Highwayman? And what leather is that?

Good advice that I will abide by. Thanks!

This is actually the 1930s Half Belt, not the Highwayman. It’s in Battered Seal Horsehide.

MrSweetums

New in Town
Looks great don't over think it.

The batter seal HH has a spring back bounce to it that will relax over time.

I am very close to your size and have the button version of your jacket in FQHH (Maxwell). I don't think downsizing to 40 will work, as these jackets are already quite trim in the shoulders. And the creases in the curved sleeve will relax with just a few wears. The thing with Aero jackets is that they all need a bit of break in, but it only gets better.

View attachment 506639

If you are looking for even slimmer fit there is the premier pattern (STF). But they are quite restrictive in movements. The 30s pattern is easier to wear for sure.

This is exactly how I want the back of mine to look after it breaks in. Thanks for sharing that pic – looks like it fits you great!

jeo

One Too Many
Awesome. Thanks for chiming in. Definitely felt really good about it when I first got it, but the price tag has been making me make sure it’s absolutely perfect.

Here’s that pic.
There's no such thing as perfect my man. That's why I have 20+ jackets lol

Thanks for the pic. Seems like you've avoided the dreaded Aero shoulder creases. Turn away and don't look back.

I think they happen when the shoulder and/or chest is too tight and then there's pulling. You'll see a crease from the neck to the armpit. Very hard to avoid completely from any maker, but on Aeros you see them more than others.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
This is exactly how I want the back of mine to look after it breaks in. Thanks for sharing that pic – looks like it fits you great!
It will. I have a batter seal HH jacket and it behaves very similarly to FQHH. Needs some break in but once the leather fibers opens up it will drape nicely. Just keep wearing yours!

MrSweetums

New in Town
Did the tricep area of your jacket look anything like this when you first got it? I’m kind of wondering if maybe the armholes are just too big for my body type.

In the pic, you can see there’s a bunch of fabric that juts out from the tricep, which looks pretty funky to me.

07449801-B357-4CB5-84CB-0C2E8D22FC29.jpeg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Don't worry. That's how most of my half belt jackets sleeves are. They are mostly rotated forward with a curve in the sleeve. So when the arms are at rest straight down for the fit photo, there is gonna be some extra leather at the back of the tricep area.

My Aero Maxwell, basically same jacket as yours but with buttons. With my arms straight down there is that same crease / extra leather at the back of the tricep:
IMG_4514.JPG

My other half belt from Dapper's Japan, similar 30s cut also rotated forward curved sleeves, also have that bit of extra on the back. Although the leather is much softer on this one so the crease is less, but still crease:
IMG_8513.JPG

These types of forward rotated sleeves with a curve are what they are. When I rotate my arms forward a bit, the crease is almost gone, like on my Goodwear half belt:
GW Acadia Seal Shinki 004Outside.JPG

One other option is to go slimmer sleeves like on the STF/premier models. But they have zero mobility and there is still some crease with the arm straight down.
IMG_4011.JPG

My military jackets and some truckers have different sleeves, but they are totally different designs all together. Most if not all my half belts / Racers jackets have these curved rotated forward sleeves. Aero didn't re-invent the wheel here.

The batter HH has a spring back. I think it's finished with some wax to get that vintage look. It really needs a few wears to get things opened up and mold better.

You have one of the best fits out of the box. Don't over think it. Just enjoy the new jacket.

MrSweetums

New in Town
Don't worry. That's how most of my half belt jackets sleeves are. They are mostly rotated forward with a curve in the sleeve. So when the arms are at rest straight down for the fit photo, there is gonna be some extra leather at the back of the tricep area.

My Aero Maxwell, basically same jacket as yours but with buttons. With my arms straight down there is that same crease / extra leather at the back of the tricep:
View attachment 507470

My other half belt from Dapper's Japan, similar 30s cut also rotated forward curved sleeves, also have that bit of extra on the back. Although the leather is much softer on this one so the crease is less, but still crease:
View attachment 507471

These types of forward rotated sleeves with a curve are what they are. When I rotate my arms forward a bit, the crease is almost gone, like on my Goodwear half belt:
View attachment 507472

One other option is to go slimmer sleeves like on the STF/premier models. But they have zero mobility and there is still some crease with the arm straight down.
View attachment 507473

My military jackets and some truckers have different sleeves, but they are totally different designs all together. Most if not all my half belts / Racers jackets have these curved rotated forward sleeves. Aero didn't re-invent the wheel here.

The batter HH has a spring back. I think it's finished with some wax to get that vintage look. It really needs a few wears to get things opened up and mold better.

You have one of the best fits out of the box. Don't over think it. Just enjoy the new jacket.
Thanks for such a thoughtful response. I see what you're saying and that's given me more confidence in how this one fits!

I do wonder though if the sleeves on this jacket I have are just a touch too short, like 0.5in too short. I spoke to Aero about this and they said I can expect 0.25in to 0.5in of shrinkage as the sleeves crease. I think they're perfect right now, but if I lost 0.5in I would feel differently.

Have you noticed yours change?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
That's the thing with these curved sleeves, they tend to feel shorter than they actually are, especially in the straight down position.
The overall sleeve (nape) is about 35" on their size 42 jackets, regardless of period fits. But they do always feel like 1/2" shorter to me. Adding a full inch would be too long and starts to look a bit sloppy. Just keep wearing and it'll be just fine.

IMG_4973.JPG

IMG_4915.JPG

DamonCyclee

Familiar Face
The issues is that everyone want this trimmed model like look, but in reality those looks are just "looks", it look great but often limit your mobility, like Panda mentioned above.

In practical sense, if you ever get into a fight aka stabbing on transit (Canada special atm), you can't defend yourself.

Try and move around with the jacket zipped up and see if the jacket itself is trying to fight against your movement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto