Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero 50's vs 30's halfbelt

icecold

One of the Regulars
Hi, I'm currently down to a choice between these two jackets, and just wonder if the 30's halfbelt is also shorter than the 50's halfbelt (in addition to being slimmer). I know some folks here have both, so any info, and pics, will be greatly appreciated.

Right now 30's slim fit will fit me just fine, but since these things last a lifetime (and I'm 31 now), i debate whether to buy something with extra wiggle room such as the 50's halfbelt...

I'm 5'9", chest 38", waist 32", athletic (pretty close to the model described on the areo site that shows the 30's jacket - http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/...ge?page=displayproduct&subcatid=38&prodid=43), but wonder if putting 5-10 additional pounds at some point would make my hypothetical size 38 30's halfbelt unwearable. Thank you.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here

icecold

One of the Regulars
feltfan said:
The addition of the end paren to the link results in a
recusive error. Here's a functional link:

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/webapp/aeroleather/servlet/AeroViewPage?page=displayproduct&subcatid=38&prodid=43

I have never understood what "slim fit" means. Does it mean
the wearer has to be slim? Does it mean the wearer looks more slim
when wearing the garment? Is a "slim fit" jacket not an option for
someone who is not slim?

Hi there, and thanks very much for fixing the link.
Good point on the "slim" concept - it also confuses me all the time! Indeed, this is part of my motivation to post the question.
In my understanding, it refers to how close to the body the garment is cut/how much allowance there is. If so, the phisique of the owner should be irrelevant if within the generic range.
The problem seems to be that it is no longer clear what average phisique means these days... It seems that there is a major slide to consider slightly chunky "let's call it 'real life average'" to be "average" (esp. if we look at the obesity stats), while actual average (which is what I consider myself to be), is often classified as slim/skinny... go figure...

Anyway, the problem is that if there is clear meaning to what's slim and what's average, even slim cut garments should allow for plenty of freedom of movement, and perhaps some light layering...

icecold

One of the Regulars
BellyTank said:
Is your waist bigger then your chest..?
Then you're not slim.

B
T

Heh, if that's the benchmark, then I should enjoy long years of the 30's halfbelt as I certainly hope that I never add 6 or more inches to my waist, though you never know...

rgraham

A-List Customer
icecold said:
Heh, if that's the benchmark, then I should enjoy long years of the 30's halfbelt as I certainly hope that I never add 6 or more inches to my waist, though you never know...

That's what we all say.

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I thinks if you waist is not 6" or smaller than your chest you are not consider a candidate for slim fit jackets. Also heavy body builders / weight lifter need not apply.

icecold

One of the Regulars
BellyTank said:
You get the general idea, though.
Aero say something about a more "athletic physique"... or something, IIRC.

Some taper from chest to waist would help this fitting.

BTW, how's the weather in Xvbnvb?

B
T

Well, athletic for now, hopefully will stay that way...
As for the weather, I have no idea how i ended up with this cryptic location, but I'm in south texas where it's pretty hot most of the year. However, even right now it's ok to put on a leather jacket over a t-shirt or light shirt, and the weather will be leather jacket-permissible at least until february...

icecold

One of the Regulars
rgraham said:
That's what we all say.

:eek: True dat, but hopefully such an expensive piece will motivate me to stay in shape!!! As in "Geez, I'm only 10 cupcakes away from not being able to pull this badass jacket with ease and parade it in front of my girlfriend! What the hell am I thinking! Put the cupcake away!"

icecold

One of the Regulars
Thanks everybody who chimed in so far, but I'm still looking for more feedback on the specific differences in wit between the two halfbelts, so if you've had a chance to compare them, please let me/us know! THanks

blethook

One of the Regulars
icecold said:
Thanks everybody who chimed in so far, but I'm still looking for more feedback on the specific differences in wit between the two halfbelts, so if you've had a chance to compare them, please let me/us know! THanks

Hi,

I own the Aero Californian jacket, and one thing I don't like about it is the big armholes, which restrict movement. Because of the big armholes, it would cause the the jacket to ride up when you raise your arms. I think this point has been mentioned in another thread.

Also, my Californian jacket has a generous cut. It's tagged 40, but can easily fit a size 42. Across the armpit it was over 25" if I remember correctly.

Although the 1930 slim half belt is said to be slim, I don't expect it to be "military" slim. Their A-2s tend to run smaller than other manufacturers, but still should fit a person who's not overweight. The only exception is their USN jackets which seems to follow the definition of military fit down to the T. From your measurements I think the 1938 slim half-belt size 38 should fit you fine, but just provide them with your measurements.

You should contact Aero (Amanda/Will) to find out about the cut of the particular jacket you're interested in. Ask them for measurements of the jacket in your size and compare them with those of a jacket that fits you well.

Ask them as well about the armholes on the slim 1930 half-belt, and how they compare with those of the A-2 jackets. A-2 jackets have small armholes and therefore will allow greater freedom in movement.

You can easily ask Aero to increase the length of the jacket as you require it, but I think the slim half belt is designed to be short so it might look strange if you have it modified.

Hope that helps

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner