Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Real McCoys 30's Sport/Mobster black leather jacket review (with pictures)

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don´t know if its safe to generalize, but I do have the Mulholland and an RMC A2 in veg-tan horse. Between the two, the FW´s hide is very similar to the HH, GoodWear uses, with a rather "musty" odor and a pronounced grain right from the start. It´s also a bit like the grainier samples from Greg Fields earlier jackets.
The RMC is slightyl heavier to the hand, without much grain and a rather smooth, clean surface. It reminds me very much of the pigemnt dyed shinki, Himel uses.

Of the two, I do actually do prefer the RMC. This is very much personal taste, but too me it looks and feels slightly more luxurious.
Thank you for that answer. With my Mulholland I was actually surprised at the hides thickness. It is grainy right from the start. But I did not notice any musty odour. My oil tanned Shinki is thinner but also has lots of grain from the start. Actually, the oil tanned from Himel has more grain than I have ever seen. Normal hide variances I suppose.

Last edited:

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Guess I'm on the opposite side where I have an RMC in this leather but never handled Freewheelers. I will say though I'm only so-so on this leather. It isn't bad but I'd take my Flat Head black leather over the RMC any day of the week. I just prefer the feel and the look. Visually from pictures TFH looks more similar to FW than RMC.
Is your Flat Head more grainy?

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Thank you for that answer. With my Mulholland I was actually surprised at the hides thickness. It is grainy right from the start. But I did not notice any musty odour. My oil tanned Shinki is thinner but also has lots of grain from the start. Actually, the oil tanned from Himel has more grain than I have ever seen. Normal hide variances I suppose.

Yes, I am sure generalisation would be wrong.

I should have perhaps not said "musty" but used more effort to describe the aroma. All shinki variants I have received so far, more or less smelled the same, albeit in different intensities (Himel´s oil tan being by far the most obstrusive). I came to believe there is a specific "shinki" aroma the same as there is this Horween chrome-tanning smell (my wife would say "stench").
FW´s shinki does smell different. It has toned down very much, but at the beginning it was quite a strong sweetish smell. Perhaps a bit like sweet tobacco (certainly to my nose with a hint of weed). It´s now much more elegant and pleasant but still different than other leathers.

Xavier WT

New in Town
So I am the guy who bought that jacket off Japan, and traded it to Kuro when it didn’t work out for me.

I’m mad jealous

This morning I was googling to try to trace one in my size for a price I could pay (40 international / 42 jp) and found your post.

So glad it finally found a home.

Roger_af

New in Town
Thank you! I'm so happy it found it's way to me. I've now worn it 37 times. I wore it as late into spring as I could. Flame panda is making me a pair of boots in the same leather and matching hardware to go with it - hopefully I'll be able to wear both together this winter (although the boots may not be here until next spring).

I'm anxious to pull it out again. I'll post some more photos when it comes out in the fall.

Roger_af

New in Town
I'll try to grab a few more photos on the way home - with better shots of the back and close up. I'm up to 102 wears - including tonight.

Attachments

• PXL_20230320_234503602.jpg
    PXL_20230320_234503602.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 180
  • PXL_20230320_234530908.jpg
    PXL_20230320_234530908.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 185

ChewingWax

One of the Regulars
I'll try to grab a few more photos on the way home - with better shots of the back and close up. I'm up to 102 wears - including tonight.
What counts as a "wear"? Days you've put it on or every time you've taken it off and put it on?

Roger_af

New in Town
Sorry, the subway was packed heading home so I just have these detail shots instead. A wear is every day it was worn (not each time it was put on/off). Some of those days included hiking for 10 miles, but some were only a few hours of wear. Any more granular detail is too difficult to keep track of.

Attachments

• PXL_20230321_013351662.jpg
    PXL_20230321_013351662.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 167
  • PXL_20230321_013345735.jpg
    PXL_20230321_013345735.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 112
  • PXL_20230321_013337525.jpg
    PXL_20230321_013337525.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 115
  • PXL_20230321_014049879.jpg
    PXL_20230321_014049879.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 108
  • PXL_20230321_013414372.jpg
    PXL_20230321_013414372.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 145

Roger_af

New in Town
No issues in light rain. I certainly don't consider not wearing it because there's rain in the forecast.

I've only worn it out maybe twice in heavy rain and also had no issues (as opposed to my Himel brothers brown Shinki leather jacket where an admittedly torrential downpour bled brown pigment onto my blue ocbd).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana