Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero 9 months + wait, is this common ?

westinghouse

One of the Regulars
I have sinced dumped my Aero and bought the Saratoga Lambskin Jacket from Orvis. Best jacket I have ever owned. The quality of the leather and the fit are absolutely ridiculous.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

JLStorm

Practically Family
westinghouse said:
I have sinced dumped my Aero and bought the Saratoga Lambskin Jacket from Orvis. Best jacket I have ever owned. The quality of the leather and the fit are absolutely ridiculous.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I want whatever drugs he is taking please!!!

westinghouse

One of the Regulars
Last time I checked Aero did not carry lamb.

And come on now, horsehide is completely unnecessary and overdone unless it's worn on a motorcycle. Let's be realistic, people, its more a piece of equipment than a fashion statement. Too many people are buying into the Aero hype because nice leather jackets are hard to come by.

Horsehide is not inherently superior to other leathers. It's just a different "flavor".

Navin323i

Practically Family
JLStorm said:
I believe Marks orders take substantially longer than ordering straight from the factory. I dont know if that is just that I have only read threads where this comes up, or if he gets deliveries in batches, or what. I have had 2 custom orders from the ground up and seem to get my jackets long before Marks customers. One order took 4 weeks, one took 10. I dont know what it is. Like I said I may have made an incorrect assumption based only on certain threads, but I do see a trend.

JLStorm said:
I really dont think you can put Mark and Aero Scotland in the same category. Not including the pattern Ive noticed in shipping times. Mark specializes in simple one stop shopping. He will answer a few questions and that is his deal. Aero Scotland custom builds anything you want. I have had over 100 emails designing one jacket, you can talk to the man who will be making your actual jacket and they can make changes on the fly.

Its really not fair to compare the two, its just apples and oranges.

With all due respect to you in regards to what I bolded above, I don't believe what you said here is completely fair given that you personally have no experience in dealing with Mark.

I will tell you now that my dealings with Mark were very positive. He does not answer only a few questions as you incorrectly claimed... I emailed and called him NUMEROUS times and he was always very patient with me. I received my jacket in about 10 weeks time.

Now in regards to wait time for the jacket, Mark doesn't have any control over that... it's all dependent on what Aero Scotland's workload is at that time. I recall from my own experience with Mark that at one point he stated that Aero has cut down on the number of jacket orders that they will take and make per month so that they can ensure that the jackets can be made in a more timely manner.

My second Aero jacket order has been placed directly with Will and Amanda because I wanted the experience of working directly with them this time around. Would I ever order a jacket again thru Mark? Absolutely! :)

Navin323i

Practically Family
westinghouse said:

And come on now, horsehide is completely unnecessary and overdone unless it's worn on a motorcycle. Let's be realistic, people, its more a piece of equipment than a fashion statement. Too many people are buying into the Aero hype because nice leather jackets are hard to come by.

Horsehide is not inherently superior to other leathers. It's just a different "flavor".

Correct... they don't carry lamb.

While I agree with you that horsehide is not inherently superior to other leathers, I do disagree with your statement that horsehide is completely unnecessary and overdone unless it's worn on a motorcycle.

So you're saying that because I'm unable to ride a motorcycle I should deny myself the "privilege" of owning and wearing a horsehide jacket? That is ridiculous and a rather elitist attitude, with all due respect.

I chose horsehide for my Aero NYPD jacket for 2 valid reasons...

1) From a historical standpoint, horsehide was the original leather used for all leather jackets be it motorcycle, military, etc... very durable and naturally a bit more water resistant to some degree as well.

2) Since my Aero NYPD jacket was dedicated to my grandfather who was a police chief in India, if he had worn a leather jacket during his years as an officer then his jacket would have definitely been horsehide based on that time period.

I assure you there is nothing overdone nor unnecessary about me choosing horsehide for my jacket. :rolleyes:

westinghouse said:

We are lucky to have choices.
I own a wonderful Italian manufactured lamb leather jacket purchased from Nordstrom's several years back.
I like it a lot.
I find myself reaching for my Aero Highwayman more however...and if I could keep only one, it would be my FQHH Aero.
At the same time, I have an cow hide Eastman Luftwaffe jacket that, at least today, I'd keep above both.
Check with me tomorrow and I'll probably answer differently.

Re; fit....no doubt about it, the Aero, made to my measurements, is the best fitting of the 3.

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
I'm not surprised at 9+ months wait. I have two Aeros, both ordered through Aero USA. Both took over 6 months. So yes, it happens.

There is a "customer experience with Aero" thread around here that you may want to check out. That thread is chock full of TFLer's reporting with specific delivery/order times.

Personally I agree with JLStorm that it's largely out of Mark's control. He just takes the order; they fill them. While I too would appreciate honesty in setting realistic expectations for delivery times, sometimes things will slip. [huh] It doesn't make it right ... but it happens. In response, I believe Mark no longer posts delivery times on his eBay auctions, in an attempt to correct this problem.

I think the best part about getting an Aero after the long wait is the magnificent unveiling that occurs when you open up the box! :D

westinghouse said:

I think you're correct but only if you're considering the protective nature of horsehide vs cowhide in terms of abrasion resistance. Vanson (who sells both horse and cow) specifically states in their 2000 master catalog that horsehide provides no more abrasion protection than cowhide. I believe them. Vanson has a vested interest in selling you higher priced horsehide jackets yet they expressly disclaim any additional protective benefit.

Where I think you may not be correct in your statement is that some people value horsehide for its non-utilitarian nature (example: wear/patina characteristics). Some people wear leather jackets solely for protective purposes; others wear them for fashion. As a former motorcycle commuter I used to do the former, nowadays as I no longer ride, I do the latter. lol

westinghouse

One of the Regulars
Navin323i said:
That is ridiculous and a rather elitist attitude, with all due respect.
Sir, you have chosen to insult me, I did insult you. Thank you for not taking the high road. You have proven yourself to be the person I always thought you were.

I would retort further but I am too much of a gentleman.

Aero has some serious quality control issues one cannot deny: uneven stitching, sizing, uneven hide texture, sagging liners. Not to mention the broken promises regarding wait times. My first jacket was made with the wrong color liner and had to be remade. All this after a dozen emails specifying exact details. I have never seen so many mistakes that have taken so long to rectify in my entire life. All I know is my Orvis jacket is guaranteed for life and can be returned at any time for any reason for a full refund. Not that I would choose to do that but, it is cheaper and better made than an Aero...and no headaches. I can vouch for that and any jacket freak would confirm this observation in person.

I refuse to be the "sheep" following the herd.

Navin323i

Practically Family
westinghouse said:
Sir, you have chosen to insult me, I did insult you. Thank you for not taking the high road. You have proven yourself to be the person I always thought you were.

I would retort further but I am too much of a gentleman.

Aero has some serious quality control issues one cannot deny: uneven stitching, sizing, uneven hide texture, sagging liners. Not to mention the broken promises regarding wait times. My first jacket was made with the wrong color liner and had to be remade. All this after a dozen emails specifying exact details. I have never seen so many mistakes that have taken so long to rectify in my entire life. All I know is my Orvis jacket is guaranteed for life and can be returned at any time for any reason for a full refund. Not that I would choose to do that but, it is cheaper and better made than an Aero...and no headaches. I can vouch for that and any jacket freak would confirm this observation in person.

I refuse to be the "sheep" following the herd.

I wasn't insulting you but the fact that you'd respond in such a childish manner would suggest you are anything BUT a gentleman. :rolleyes:

I've proven to you that I'm the person you always thought I was?? What the heck does that mean? You don't even know me to make such a statement nor have we spoken on here so that you can make such a statement about me.

If we here who wear horsehide jackets that aren't motorcycle riders upsets you so much then I'm glad. We'll continue to wear what we want with pride.

Enjoy your Orvis jacket... I'll enjoy my Aero jacket which had none of the mistakes/issues that yours had.

I don't know who you're calling a "sheep" but I strongly advise you to watch your words there... I chose the jacket I did despite the fact that it's probably Aero's least popular jacket (only 2 others they have sold within the past 10 years at least)... I do my own thing and don't follow the norm.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
This subject has been up several times - and still american customers go to this fellow Mark - and moan!
When do you ever learn? Call Aero Scotland directly. Great people and great service.

I can understand someone being excited and satisfied with their choice of a new jacket..but to carry it further with what can easily be construed as insulting remarks about what others may choose..and why..just isn't gentlemanlike at all. That added cutting opinion abviously does portray an elitist attitude. Proclaiming the honorable 'gentleman' title...and actually walking the walk..can often,in reality,be two completely different animals.
HD

k449

New in Town
Exactly, Spitfire. Why would I want a middleman? Even if he does an adequate job, why wouldnt I go direct if I could? I have ordered three jackets direct from Scotland. Two from Ken (which may be before most folks on here started dealing with Aero) and one just lately from Amanda. Twelve weeks for a custom vintage brown HH grizzly w/ russet mouton and about a dozen modifications, which was exactly what she quoted me. Oh, I'm in the USA.....

JLStorm

Practically Family
Navin323i said:
With all due respect to you in regards to what I bolded above, I don't believe what you said here is completely fair given that you personally have no experience in dealing with Mark.

I will tell you now that my dealings with Mark were very positive. He does not answer only a few questions as you incorrectly claimed... I emailed and called him NUMEROUS times and he was always very patient with me. I received my jacket in about 10 weeks time.

Now in regards to wait time for the jacket, Mark doesn't have any control over that... it's all dependent on what Aero Scotland's workload is at that time. I recall from my own experience with Mark that at one point he stated that Aero has cut down on the number of jacket orders that they will take and make per month so that they can ensure that the jackets can be made in a more timely manner.

My second Aero jacket order has been placed directly with Will and Amanda because I wanted the experience of working directly with them this time around. Would I ever order a jacket again thru Mark? Absolutely! :)

I didnt say I didnt deal with Mark, I said I didnt buy from mark. His attitude and responsiveness did not impress me, so I went straight to the source.

Navin323i

Practically Family
HoosierDaddy said:
I can understand someone being excited and satisfied with their choice of a new jacket..but to carry it further with what can easily be construed as insulting remarks about what others may choose..and why..just isn't gentlemanlike at all. That added cutting opinion abviously does portray an elitist attitude. Proclaiming the honorable 'gentleman' title...and actually walking the walk..can often,in reality,be two completely different animals.
HD

Thank you, HD. I'm glad I wasn't imagining the elitist attitude that Mr. Westinghouse was clearly portraying.

Again Westinghouse... my intent wasn't to insult you, but I was only going by your comments which stated that horsehide should be only for motorcycle riders... clearly those are elitist remarks so you have no right to be insulted by my comments which were made in response to YOUR actions.

I have nothing against you nor anyone else here so at the end of the day I hope we can all move on peacefully. :)

Westinghouse... did you wind up ordering the HH vest from Joseph?

Navin323i

Practically Family
JLStorm said:
I didnt say I didnt deal with Mark, I said I didnt buy from mark. His attitude and responsiveness did not impress me, so I went straight to the source.

Makes sense. I can only speak for my own experience which was a very positive one with excellent communication on his end throughout our transaction with my jacket being received in 10 weeks.

too much coffee

Practically Family
Hi Jeff;

I believe he has put himself in the middle. He is the middle man making fat commissions from the clientel here in America. Look at the AeroUSA website complete with the Ebay listings..........must cost a small fortune.
Also Jeff, I believe you are right, he has no control over when the jackets for the American consumer are shipped, but judging by the posts from our European members, I would have to say we are last.
I'm glad Brother Navin and other Lounge members have had good service with AeroUSA, but one has to ponder, why do we need AeroUSA?

coffee out

JLStorm

Practically Family
Jeff M said:
I get the feeling that Mark has no control over when Aero Scotland sends out his jackets. Not sure why some orders seem to take so long. I feel sorry for him being put in the middle.

Re; why I like horse hide....it has great "character".

He put himself in the middle, he is not part of Aero, he is a completely separate distributor affiliated with Aero as a reseller. He is basically the same as a beer distributor, that is affiliated with the beer company, but simply distributes to the public. The difference in this case is that the public can go directly to the manufacturer.

Im in no way suggesting that one take Mark out of the equation. While I personally have no interest in dealing with him again or buying from him. Im sure many people enjoy dealing with someone in the same country, avoiding paying customs and large shipping charges, and less hassle with time zones. But there are many drawbacks and limitations as well. Some of them may include longer shipping times, less control over the product, little ability to customize, and level of overall service.

I wouldnt go around feeling sorry for him though. He chose to leverage his company as a reseller for a business that specializes in custom orders and dealing direct with the end user.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo