Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Aeromarine or SlimFit Stuart - Opinions Requested

coloradorider

One of the Regulars
Gents - facing the task of choosing a slim fit button front jacket from the Aero Leather Clothing line. I'm trying to make my decision between the new AeroMarine and the Slimfit Stuart. Hoping I can elicit some discussion from the community to make this choice easier. Here's the biggest observations/questions I have although I'm open to any and all feedback/opinions:

Will the two jackets fit approximately the same? I haven't worn an A-1 but I do have a 30's slim fit half belt style. How would the AeroMarine fit compared to Aero's 30's Half Belt since this is the only basis I have for comparison?

The AeroMarine only appears to be made in jerky horsehide, the cream horse, and battered brown mid weight hides. It can't be made in a FQHH so how do people feel about the cream horse. Anyone know how the cream horse will age? I've can read about the jerky hides since they've had plenty of use in members jackets. Any opinions on the leather choices that might make my decision easier?

I like the slim fit Stuart because I'm leaning towards a CXL FQHH with a slightly looser fit (read room for a medium sweater). The leather choices might be the difference here for me since I'm leaning towards Aero's Horween CXL FQHH.

FWIW - I wear low-rise pants so I'd add a little length to either of these 20's or 30's jacket repros.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
If it were me......Maxwell in brown FQHH (I'm pretty sure maxwell is the new Stuart)

I would contact Thurston Brothers you might get a June delivery

coloradorider

One of the Regulars
Boyo - thanks for the feedback on the Maxwell. This looks like a button front version of the Aero Cossack with a chest pocket or a version of the slimfit Stuart without a yoke. It seems like the Cossack and the 30's HB fit approximately the same from what I've read. Seems like it's only available from Insurrection/Thurston Bros. too - and you're right for June orders! I'll put this in the mix so now it's Maxwell/SF Stuart vs AeroMarine. Cheers

As I understand it, the Maxwell, Stuart and Cossack are the same basic body design/fit.
You can order the Maxwell with or without a yoke.
From the Insurrection thread. Both are "Maxwells";

CordovanStuartMaxwell11front_zpsf4ff8e75.jpg

AeroStuartMaxwell11backcordovan_zpsaa7a8cf9.jpg

DressformSlimfitStuartFront11_zps9703102c.jpg

DressformSlimfitStuartBack11_zps350d8d1c.jpg

I chose the Maxwell over the AeroMarine when I placed my order.
I felt the Maxwell would be useful in more situations, and I like it's clean, tapered look.
You can order the AeroMarine in full weight FQHH if you want. At least you can from Insurrection.

Last edited:

coloradorider

One of the Regulars
Called Insurrection and they indicated the Aeromarine is made only in the midweight hides listed on Aero's website and goat. Want to mention Insurrection was great to talk to, have June order slots still open (means the jacket will be made in June), and are already accepting delivery on some May order slot orders. Nice option for the US market with the import duty uncertainties and shipping cost from Aero directly.

Leaning towards a Maxwell with the Highwayman yoke at this point...

Any got opinions on the Cream Horsehide and how it will age?

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Called Insurrection and they indicated the Aeromarine is made only in the midweight hides listed on Aero's website and goat. Want to mention Insurrection was great to talk to, have June order slots still open (means the jacket will be made in June), and are already accepting delivery on some May order slot orders. Nice option for the US market with the import duty uncertainties and shipping cost from Aero directly.

Leaning towards a Maxwell with the Highwayman yoke at this point...

Any got opinions on the Cream Horsehide and how it will age?

Are you telling me they're already getting some may orders in? :)

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I would be more concerned with how the cream HH will show dirt more than how it will age. All things equal, maybe consider brown FQHH, with maybe cordovan FQHH as a close second. I prefer the plain back with cleaner look over the Highwayman yoke but would be OK with either. I am very impressed with Insurrection's presentation since they have become an Affiliate.

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
the question of how cream leather will age is an interesting one. I have a natural leather wallet that started out pale and very uninteresting and is now a beautiful burnished bronze. It picked up a couple of indigo stains in high wear areas but it's just flippin' lovely after about two years of use. Will a very pale (i.e cream) finished leather break in in a similar way? if so then it would be an absolute treat after a bit and dirt would just give it a bit more character.

Just stay away from red wine.....

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I liked the cream, it's got a nice drape to it that makes a very different creature from the battered brown, and gives the jacket a bit of old time Hollywood glamour. Fanch is right in terms of dirt etc, though for what it's worth I've had a cream calf skin Cafe Racer for almost eight years, which received regular summer wear, and I'm only now thinking it needs a clean. I don't think I'd go for the cream if I was looking the classic Aero patina, but the battered brown has that in spades - I was mucking around with some of it in the factory, and the colours just shift and change with every crease and wrinkle.
I also agree about the affiliate threads, they're a nice shop window for the maker and seem to have generated good two-way communication.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Ive seen photos of vintage pieces made from similarly light hides, and the patina is amazing. Key is just to keep it away from dirt, grass, ink, wine.... :D

schitzo

Suspended
I have a natural leather wallet that started out pale and very uninteresting and is now a beautiful burnished bronze. It picked up a couple of indigo stains in high wear areas but it's just flippin' lovely after about two years of use. .

Highwaymanman, if you can be bothered I would love to see a few snaps of this wallet

schitzo

Suspended
nice one Brett, thx. I do love the way that's aged. What leather is it?

I bought a travel pass holder in natural shell cordovan not so long ago and once that's in regular use I'm hopeful it'll mature like this

bretron

Call Me a Cab
nice one Brett, thx. I do love the way that's aged. What leather is it?

I bought a travel pass holder in natural shell cordovan not so long ago and once that's in regular use I'm hopeful it'll mature like this

Thx man! The wallet is made by Obbi Good Label out of veg tanned saddle steer; the tether is made by Scott Willis (aka Don't Mourne Organize) out of veg tanned horsehide. The key is daily wear, lots of indigo denim and the occasional leather dressing.

schitzo

Suspended
Thx man! The wallet is made by Obbi Good Label out of veg tanned saddle steer; the tether is made by Scott Willis (aka Don't Mourne Organize) out of veg tanned horsehide. The key is daily wear, lots of indigo denim and the occasional leather dressing.

Oh that guy! I know him, I've actually got a couple of his belts making their way to me right now. I was looking around at much more expensive options when it dawned on me that the best belt looking and hardest wearing belt I've got, and ever have had, is a black horsebutt one off him. It's a great belt but it's a size 35 and I'm slimmer than that now so I've ordered a replacement in 34, and also another in natural.

I'm sorry I'm afraid I've forgotten what this thread is supposed to be about! My apologies to the OP

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Oh that guy! I know him, I've actually got a couple of his belts making their way to me right now. I was looking around at much more expensive options when it dawned on me that the best belt looking and hardest wearing belt I've got, and ever have had, is a black horsebutt one off him. It's a great belt but it's a size 35 and I'm slimmer than that now so I've ordered a replacement in 34, and also another in natural.

I'm sorry I'm afraid I've forgotten what this thread is supposed to be about! My apologies to the OP

Let me know I ya wanna sell that sz 35 ;)

Love his work too. Ok back to the topic de jour- Aeromarine in the tan HH!

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
Schitzo, it's very much like the one posted above. If you google images 'tanner bifold patina' you'll see the same process for the actual make and model I own, beginning to end. It's seen a couple of coats of Obenauf's LP and daily wear and tear and that's all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ